IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

On 04/10/2023 at 23:27, Ska Junkie said:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/soccer?iso=20001028T1645&p0=299&msg=City+above+Rovers&font=cursive

Still going then? BIG number now. 23 years in a couple of weeks.😉

OTIB

My kids are members of the gap generation. I, on the other hand, was at Bath when they beat us three nil, but also on the Muller Road end when we were one-nil down before going two-one up to knock them out of the cup. So big numbers but strong memories. Long live the gap.

• Like 8
  • Robin 3

48 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

cheers Pongo, this was the bit i was miffed about,my dad used to take me to the market when i stayed with him some weekends,always remembered it as a big plot which could have been a big complex these days before it went tits for them. that new stand of theirs would have been ideal for it in those days

It was a massive plot of land there, they could of built a stadium to hold 100,000 and still have had a few thousand locked out

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

My kids are members of the gap generation. I, on the other hand, was at Bath when they beat us three nil, but also on the Muller Road end when we were one-nil down before going two-one up to knock them out of the cup. So big numbers but strong memories. Long live the gap.

Was also at both CJ, Bath was instantly forgettable. However I'll never forget -

"One nil down, two one up,

We knocked Rovers out the cup,

La la la la la la la la la la la".

What a ******* glorious day that was!!!

• Like 6
  • Robin 6

2 hours ago, BS3City said:

Was also at both CJ, Bath was instantly forgettable. However I'll never forget -

The best I've ever felt at a football match "City are back, City are back, Hello, Hello" 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Me too CJ, me too. I hope you're well Sir.

4 hours ago, TV Tom said:

It was a massive plot of land there, they could of built a stadium to hold 100,000 and still have had a few thousand locked out

Sorry? Who could have built? When their Chairman suggested a super stadium there in the 60's he made it clear that it was going to need to be funded by the Greyhound Company and "local businesses" if it was to work. The "temporary" bus shelter they are building right now is the closest they got to ever paying for something permanent with their own money in the last 100 years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry? Who could have built? When their Chairman suggested a super stadium there in the 60's he made it clear that it was going to need to be funded by the Greyhound Company and "local businesses" if it was to work. The "temporary" bus shelter they are building right now is the closest they got to ever paying for something permanent with their own money in the last 100 years.

It was said with tongue firmly in cheek

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It’s been financed with a secured loan from Nationwide. Finance Ltd.

If Alf Saeed is extremely wealthy why hasn’t he paid that off or refinanced at a lower rate than 12% ?

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

cheers Pongo, this was the bit i was miffed about,my dad used to take me to the market when i stayed with him some weekends,always remembered it as a big plot which could have been a big complex these days before it went tits for them. that new stand of theirs would have been ideal for it in those days

I would also add that in 1939 they finished bottom of the entire football league. They had to borrow players off us to finish the league program and were heading for having to to go cap in hand to apply for re election. A certain Mr. A Hitler of the Reichstag, Berlin intervened and the football league was suspended. In effect, Hitler saved the gas, an unfortunate coin of phrase, but the truth never the less.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Swede said:

I would also add that in 1939 they finished bottom of the entire football league. They had to borrow players off us to finish the league program and were heading for having to to go cap in hand to apply for re election. A certain Mr. A Hitler of the Reichstag, Berlin intervened and the football league was suspended. In effect, Hitler saved the gas, an unfortunate coin of phrase, but the truth never the less.

Ahh, Reichstag United, was that the team in Escape to Victory ?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I’m sorry, but saying they haven’t built anything permanent in the last 100 years is a slur on the good name of Bristol Rovers. Have you forgotten Santa’s Grotto?

IMG_4850.jpeg

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’m sure their ethical, gormless ******* powers that be at the top will do absolutely nothing about it, along with their proud and strong connection with her game too, will be absolutely thrilled to see him agreeing with it and getting involved for absolutely no reason. 

The ‘proud and strong connection’ with HerGameToo hit the buffers with the signing of javani Brown, neither of the two gas founders has attended a game this season as they cannot agree with the direction the club appear to be travelling in(off the field)and Barton’s latest nonsense probably won’t help a fractured relationship. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I'm in my late sixties. The best birthday present I have ever received was on 20th birthday, 28 December 74. 1-0 down at HT became a 4-1 victory. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BS3City said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, 22A said:

I'm in my late sixties. The best birthday present I have ever received was on 20th birthday, 28 December 74. 1-0 down at HT became a 4-1 victory. 👍

Yup. Aged 13 my first away derby. Silk scarfs tied to wrists. Howling gale and all 5 goals right in front of me. 
Great memories. Miss you dad. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

19 minutes ago, 22A said:

A great day! (BTW, WTF was their mascot meant to be?) We had such a good team at that time. Our back four was very solid - such a shame when Collier left. Cheesley was a truly exceptional striker whom I firmly believe would have gone on to play internationally had he not suffered such a career ending injury. Ritchie was a perfect foil for him. Fear was frustrating but a real favourite of mine.

17 minutes ago, 22A said:

Sometime in between those two matches, one of the stands seems to have, ahem, disappeared. Gone up in smoke. Ironic that after all of the intervening years, only now are they building a replacement. 

I was at both matches but, given all of the shit that we’d had to live through, the Cup win was such a great moment in time. TC will always be a legend to those who lived through those times.

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

Eastville was such a dump - but look at the size of it, the potential of the site they once had to build a decent stadium (plus additional facilities), in their traditional heartland, with excellent road and train links. Only a truly incompetent (or corrupt) management could have f-ed it all up quite so comprehensively. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phantom said:

There's more than two supporters involved https://www.hergametoo.co.uk/bristolrovers

They’re still a (huge) organisation (don’t really know how best youd call them really) - they can still exist and be part of HGT without supporting Rovers.  

Fair play to them for sticking two fingers up at Gormridge and Wael imo. The authentic family club knows no bounds. 

• Like 3

• Admin
11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They’re still a (huge) organisation (don’t really know how best youd call them really) - they can still exist and be part of HGT without supporting Rovers.  

Fair play to them for sticking two fingers up at Gormridge and Wael imo. The authentic family club knows no bounds. 

Will certainly never fault the work Caz and Lucy have dedicated to HGT, they were there in the very early days during the beginning of the organisation and breaking down many barriers 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Sometime in between those two matches, one of the stands seems to have, ahem, disappeared. Gone up in smoke. Ironic that after all of the intervening years, only now are they building a replacement

Can't believe that some were trying to blame our players Bryant & May , Matt and Andy were nowhere near.

One for the kids there

Screenshot2023-10-06at17_41_09.png.780d74c53da83b467f635f797ace476f.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 22A said:

That's prime PSR time period and yet I watched this and thought, "who the **** is Joe Durrell?" I literally have no memory of a player with that name, I thought I could name our whole 11/12 for that period, was he pre Whitehead?

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That's prime PSR time period and yet I watched this and thought, "who the **** is Joe Durrell?" I literally have no memory of a player with that name, I thought I could name our whole 11/12 for that period, was he pre Whitehead?

I can just about recall Durrell but who was our sub ‘Griffen’?