IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

So did Michael Knighton - assuming you are old enough to know who I mean 

To be fair I've not heard it

Yes , of course , words are cheap , but at least he has a plan , a realistic one I’d guess , and he did speak in a sensible logical manner

Whether he can deliver whether off or on the pitch another thing entirely of course 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

That new co owner interview, **** me has anyone ever sounded more clueless in their life 

New manager needs to be young, experienced but not that experienced, have promotion out of league one on their cv, or even premier league experience. **** me. 

I'm sure he said that today was due to be a record attendance..!

Breaking what record exactly..?!

They had 8,500 there with just under 600 away fans.

I can only assume he just meant they were expecting their biggest gate of the season..?

And their knob of an ex player co-commentating actually claimed that the Mem had "one of the best atmospheres in the country"..! 😂😂😂

• Haha 5

Just listened back to him on RB.

So FM is off, he says they will just get loans/investment to build the other 3 sides to The Mem and recoup from extra revenue, I'm no business man but I don't think it's just as easy as that, especially as a football club.

Also, he alluded to the fact the FM was way off when he came in and that anything he says will be what's happening and actually agreed, too not get fans hopes up etc. in the future.  What with the video they put out and what everyone was saying in here (The FM news was no news) he's pretty much said that Wael has been leading the Blue Few up the Garden Path these last few years. Wael has never had the mass money required and I don't think this dude has either. Still, they'll lap it all up.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, chowie said:

So FM is off, he says they will just get loans/investment to build the other 3 sides to The Mem and recoup from extra revenue, I'm no business man but I don't think it's just as easy as that, especially as a football club.

Also, he alluded to the fact the FM was way off when he came in and that anything he says will be what's happening and actually agreed, too not get fans hopes up etc. in the future.  What with the video they put out and what everyone was saying in here (The FM news was no news) he's pretty much said that Wael has been leading the Blue Few up the Garden Path these last few years. Wael has never had the mass money required and I don't think this dude has either. Still, they'll lap it all up.

They`ll all bow down to the new messiah until, as usual, it becomes overwhelmingly obvious even to their tiny minds that he is just another in a long line of frauds and charlatans. 

Snake oil anyone?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chowie said:

I think it has been obvious since they looked to develop the end with all the tents that they were staying put.

Actually think it makes sense, the ground is in their part of the City & if they had the money there is plenty of room to develop it, but then they have to collide with reality.

It is absolutely prohibitive to redevelop an existing ground & they also have nothing they can use as collateral to base any loan on.

The Ashton Gate rebuild cost circa £45m & that was nearly 10 years ago, the cost of everything in that industry has skyrocketed since.

They’ll end up with their new stand in 2024 & then any further significant development of their ground will mysteriously be forgotten about.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I can only assume he just meant they were expecting their biggest gate of the season..?

And their knob of an ex player co-commentating actually claimed that the Mem had "one of the best atmospheres in the country"..! 😂😂😂

Bizarre interview.

Definitely said a “record attendance” maybe as you said he meant highest crowd of the season? No idea if 8500 is, he just appeared to be talking absolute bollocks.

Said they were “only 5 points from the playoffs” it is actually 7, with a vastly inferior goal difference, too.

His criteria for a manager seemed to be “young” yet having “won promotion to the Championship” he then appeared to imply it would also be good if they’d won promotion “higher than that”.

**** knows who he thinks might be interested, the current Ipswich manager?

The plans for developing the ground appeared to be to do 3 sides of it over time but he was “hoping” for loans from banks. That really sounded like it was going to happen…

Bet BCC & the local residents were also delighted to hear though that “from now on” they were going to do any development “by the book” which just confirmed that they hadn’t been doing so before.

Wonder if he has a nice watch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The plans for developing the ground appeared to be to do 3 sides of it over time but he was “hoping” for loans from banks. That really sounded like it was going to happen…

Bet BCC & the local residents were also delighted to hear though that “from now on” they were going to do any development “by the book” which just confirmed that they hadn’t been doing so before.

Wonder if he has a nice watch?

in other words,they are going to finish the half lit end stand,or shadow shed for short, then go down the long road of planning for which they have history of never completing

Edited by redsquirrel

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm sure he meant 'atmospheric'

Isn't part of their planning application that their new stand is a "Temporary" structure.... yet now they say it is the 1st phase of their ground redevelopment at which they now plan to stay "permanently"...?

If it's now a long term plan, surely it's not really fit for purpose & therefore needs different planning & design..?

It's a good job this decision has come to light before they have received their planning permission & started to build the thing........ oh, wait.....!

Edited by Bar BS3
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

So the Fruit Market is a no go ? 

Well , I for one am shocked .  
I am also glad as I go past there every time I go near Bedminster. 
The next phase of the Mem will be interesting.
Does the Lego come down and start again ? Will it become a permanent structure ? Settle back for a boring ride.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

I think that this could be a real sliding doors moment. The Fruit Market site would have been a premium position- forget what’s there now, the whole St Phillips area is getting rebuilt. Would certainly been a major competitor to Ashton Gate. 

As is, they’re making the decision Nick Higgs should have made, before engaging in stadium Willy waving with UWE.  That being said, plans fell through last time they tried a rebuild because the student flat element fell through, so I’m not sure how the sums stack up for this rebuild scheme- unless it will be a semi-permanent set of structures.

• Like 2

Another thing that will be interesting is how they will go about redeveloping the East Side & the Thatchers end.

One by one, those sides of the ground will have to be lost for season, which will reduce their capacity by a substantial amount (comparitively).

Plus to expand either can only be done by reducing their car park areas, which will further impact the congestion on an already over crowded area on match/event days.

I don't think their new owner has really thought it through very much atall - indeed, he didn't even seem to have much idea about how it would be paid for even.!

I can fully see the ground remaining in its current sorry state in 10 years time & then they'll probably release more pie in the sky plans for moving to a new site - & that will be sufficient to keep the deluded halfwits content that the club has "ambitious plans" 

The only style ground that I could see fitting on their site footprint is something like Loftus Loftus Road- you know, the horrible, outdated, not really fit for purpose ground..!

Non match day revenue really relies on expansive conference areas - & I can't see how any stand that they could fit onto that site would give adequate provision for facilities like that - let alone the cost of building such facilities, if it were even possible to design.

If Ashton Gate cost £50 million to revamp, several years ago - they'd probably need a similar budget to produce half the size & would struggle to fit into the size of the site anyway.

It will be interesting to see they come up with & then how accepting the local residents will be.!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not a chance in hell any of it gets redeveloped. Absolutely none.  New boy will realise, get bored and shocked at the amount of money he’s losing each week and look for a way out.  

By far the most likely outcome.

His advisors will have said "just tell the idiots something - they will lap it up, not question a word you are saying & it will buy you a few years, without actually needing to do anything"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not a chance in hell any of it gets redeveloped. Absolutely none.  New boy will realise, get bored and shocked at the amount of money he’s losing each week and look for a way out.  

But another announced change in plan will keep the fewers happy for another decade before any of them are brave enough to question anything.

48 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I think that this could be a real sliding doors moment. The Fruit Market site would have been a premium position- forget what’s there now, the whole St Phillips area is getting rebuilt. Would certainly been a major competitor to Ashton Gate. 

As is, they’re making the decision Nick Higgs should have made, before engaging in stadium Willy waving with UWE.  That being said, plans fell through last time they tried a rebuild because the student flat element fell through, so I’m not sure how the sums stack up for this rebuild scheme- unless it will be a semi-permanent set of structures.

The new owner mentioned something about loans with repayments covered by increased revenue. As the club is currently losing money all increased revenue would do, should it materialise, is reduces the losses.  The interest on loans is going to make the financial situation worse. He sounded like a nice chap on the Radio Bristol interview, but a bit innocent in football matters. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If they rebuild all 4 sides with real stands I'd be amazed 

He said they were only looking to revamp 3.

The thin long stand down one side that looks a bit like a cricket pavilion & has corporate boxes is apparently being left as it is.

There is room opposite it, the stand that bizarrely doesn’t go the whole length of the side could be added to, or demolished & replaced by one that does.

Like the Lansdown it has the capacity to go taller because it isn’t near to any housing.

He talked about having a 16-17k capacity, I have no idea how many the South Stand under construction will add to their current 9k? but assuming that is say around 3k it doesn’t seem too many more for what would be significant expenditure, does it?

This is all before we get to where the money comes from.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1