IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Apros of nothing, this gives me opportunity to give my favourite ever pop fact.

Brian Harvey, erstwhile chavtastic lead singer of east 17, once ran over himself. Mr Harvey had, as opposed to taking too many drugs - he definitely hadn’t been taking too many drugs - had eaten three jacket potatoes for lunch. This was too many by far, so as he drove off he opened his door and leant over to vomit. While doing so, he disengaged the handbrake, causing the car to roll forward and run him over.

And that’s still less comical than at least three things the gas do on a weekly basis.

And his Mrs' nose fell apart, which if your trying to snort jacket spuds everyday, makes perfect sense.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Apros of nothing, this gives me opportunity to give my favourite ever pop fact.

Brian Harvey, erstwhile chavtastic lead singer of east 17, once ran over himself. Mr Harvey had, as opposed to taking too many drugs - he definitely hadn’t been taking too many drugs - had eaten three jacket potatoes for lunch. This was too many by far, so as he drove off he opened his door and leant over to vomit. While doing so, he disengaged the handbrake, causing the car to roll forward and run him over.

And that’s still less comical than at least three things the gas do on a weekly basis.

When you think about it, running yourself over whilst leaning out of your own car vomiting is a bit like getting relegated from the football league, at home, by a team wearing your own shit kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

11 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

When you think about it, running yourself over whilst leaning out of your own car vomiting is a bit like getting relegated from the football league, at home, by a team wearing your own shit kit.

No ! running yourself over vomiting is absolutely ridiculous,
but the football league thing being relegated in your own kit at home after celebrating the week before as if you had won the fa cup is so far fetched you couldn’t write that sort of thing the only thing that could really top all that off is building something with no planning permission, those sort of things just don’t happen in society. Do they ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

It is not bad for their level. I don’t think it will ever be full and look forward to the "youve all come dressed as blue seats sitting behind a pillar" jibes.

I think you're wrong. Fans will come from miles around to fill that brand new state of the art stand.
By miles around I mean, other parts of the ground that aren't covered. 

It's all exciting when your club builds their first new stand in modern history. 
And the first notable ground improvement since ......

Screenshot2023-11-19at10_37_05.thumb.png.ba04e7dc5b4b611cc358cd7664057788.png

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, redkev said:

No ! running yourself over vomiting is absolutely ridiculous,
but the football league thing being relegated in your own kit at home after celebrating the week before as if you had won the fa cup is so far fetched you couldn’t write that sort of thing the only thing that could really top all that off is building something with no planning permission, those sort of things just don’t happen in society. Do they ?

You’ve forgotten the bit about having only been in a relegation spot for 20 minutes all season…..that was the icing on the cake!

• Haha 1

They'll never sell out the ground on a regular basis.

The support just isn't there and has been declining since the 1950s and its now ageing as well, I would like to see the breakdown of their supporters by age group as it seems the current and future generations are now City.

They are dependent on away support numbers boosting their 7k supporters. That could rise on promotion, but not by much.

The owners of that club need to be realistic and stop trying to compete with City, only one winner there. They should build a decent quality and affordable 12k capacity stadium which drags them into the 21st century. 

Rotherham is an excellent example ;

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/new-york-stadium-rotherham-united.html

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The support just isn't there and has been declining since the 1950s and its now ageing as well, I would like to see the breakdown of their supporters by age group as it seems the current and future generations are now City.

They are dependent on away support numbers boosting their 7k supporters. That could rise on promotion, but not by much.

The owners of that club need to be realistic and stop trying to compete with City, only one winner there. They should build a decent quality and affordable 12k capacity stadium which drags them into the 21st century. 

Rotherham is an excellent example ;

https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/new-york-stadium-rotherham-united.html

They should but there’s one problem - money. They haven’t got any / don’t want to spend any. All the recent plans have involved other people’s money, in one form or another. The current new stand is financed by a loan, which is why it’s so cheap and nasty. Even the new owner, when interviewed on Radio Bristol, talked about further redevelopments being financed by loans or other investors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

My Saggie mate who is up there with the most optimistic and deluded you will ever find, even admits their fan base is very old and no new kids down there coming through. The fans just aren't there for them for a massive upturn, even if they managed to somehow go up. We've had the majority of the next generation coming to the gate, they suddenyl aren't going to get a load of new kids showing up in that shitehole. Times have massively changed, but they cannot even see it, and will bang on about their mythical Wembley crowd they have to make up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

Now they’re claiming the pillars won’t be a big deal until they get to the championship and start selling out…as if you’d build a brand new stand but only expect to fill it when the old shit ones are already at capacity because they’re better.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I strongly recommend that, should they ever get promoted or at any other future stage, they do not try to remove the pillars just to get a better view. They are there for a reason (mainly that it is built on the cheap).

They should put them to additional use instead, get value for money. Other than holding up the roof, they could plant runner beans at the base, tie the patio chairs to them on a windy day, hold up netting to catch the wayward shots at goal or mount the big screen on them that apparently is the measure of a massive club. Admittedly that might block the view some more but until the rest of the ground is developed that has to be a good thing, right?

Edited by Open End Numb Legs
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

51 minutes ago, TheReds said:

My Saggie mate who is up there with the most optimistic and deluded you will ever find, even admits their fan base is very old and no new kids down there coming through. The fans just aren't there for them for a massive upturn, even if they managed to somehow go up. We've had the majority of the next generation coming to the gate, they suddenyl aren't going to get a load of new kids showing up in that shitehole. Times have massively changed, but they cannot even see it, and will bang on about their mythical Wembley crowd they have to make up.

Totally agree about the kids coming through , I have various members of my family that the adults are either gas or have a preference to the gas but there kids / grandkids are all city or god forbid Man Utd , but none are gas ,even a few families I know that one side of the family are gas but the other are city when a new born comes into the family they nearly always end up red 

• Robin 1

On 17/11/2023 at 00:11, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am reading that Neil Lennon is being considered for the long vacant manager post.

Do you perhaps have any thoughts on this @Miah Dennehy?

I loved him at Celtic, although it all went horribly wrong in the last season . Another Marmite character, I'm afraid our increasingly divided society would make it very difficult for him at Rovers, I saw a couple of posts referring to him as 'English hating' , obviously with no evidence whatsoever  to back it up :)

What does seem clear now , is that our new owners just wanted Barton out, with absolutely no plan on replacing him. I won't get drawn into any arguments about Barton as a man, but , despite results, the huge majority of fans I know where happy with things on the pitch and don't understand why we got rid, a not too dissimilar situation to recent events at Ashton Gate.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I loved him at Celtic, although it all went horribly wrong in the last season . Another Marmite character, I'm afraid our increasingly divided society would make it very difficult for him at Rovers, I saw a couple of posts referring to him as 'English hating' , obviously with no evidence whatsoever  to back it up :)

Aw.................did you only win the league by 20 points ?

😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

What does seem clear now , is that our new owners just wanted Barton out, with absolutely no plan on replacing him. I won't get drawn into any arguments about Barton as a man, but , despite results, the huge majority of fans I know where happy with things on the pitch and don't understand why we got rid, a not too dissimilar situation to recent events at Ashton Gate.

I think you’re right about the new owners. They were obviously not under Barton’s spell, and could see him for what he is, unlike Wael who ignored his many abusive failings 

• Like 5

'Damaging' backlog after council department loses a third of staff

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-planning-backlog-caused-council-8919672#ICID=Android_BristolPostApp_AppShare

Must have been some naughtiness going on with the Rover's planning applicatio  to get it through so quickly then? 

Particularly after they had to pull the first application and make a new one.

No doubt the Sports Village issues aren't subject to the same level of "support" from certain Council members. 🤔

• Flames 1

I've recently been wondering why the Sags still haven't appointed a new manager.  I'm guessing that either nobody wants the job or they have not been released yet by the parole board.

Someone mentioned the other day that Wael had actually offered the job to over a dozen potential candidates but all had turned the job down due to a lack of money, non league ground & infrastructure, a lack of fans and a distinct lack of ambition.

Not surprised to see that the Fruit Market project they have all been harping about for years has gone pear shaped either.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I've recently been wondering why the Sags still haven't appointed a new manager.  I'm guessing that either nobody wants the job or they have not been released yet by the parole board.

Someone mentioned the other day that Wael had actually offered the job to over a dozen potential candidates but all had turned the job down due to a lack of money, non league ground & infrastructure, a lack of fans and a distinct lack of ambition.

Not surprised to see that the Fruit Market project they have all been harping about for years has gone pear shaped either.

Obviously the candidates are weighing up the pros and cons of taking the job or remaining on Universal  Credit

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Pear shaped at the fruit market you say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1