IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Saw that, frankly it is bizarre.

Presumably he’s talking about the late 1950s, because that’s the last time they consistently got higher crowds.

Might as well bring up the Second World War, just a very odd thing to say.

Why not go back in time a bit further and talk about Bristol St George (now Roman Glass St George). It is  the oldest club in Bristol and was quite successful in the late 1800s

(pretty good stand as well)

IMG_5204.jpeg

Edited by pongo88

30 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

so.....I'll admit to listening to the entire podcast between James English and Joey (I had nothing better to do today). It's actually an entertaining listen if you want to keep your mind open

I’ve listened to a fair bit of it and he’s a proper megalomaniac, boasting about all the scraps he was involved in, one day someone will give him a good hammering and I hope it’s captured on camera 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I’ve listened to a fair bit of it and he’s a proper megalomaniac, boasting about all the scraps he was involved in, one day someone will give him a good hammering and I hope it’s captured on camera 

Did he put one sentence together without swearing ? Terrible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mason said:

Where as your logic says you are delighted with a manager who has never been head coach in the championship rather than one who has, ok then;

but the logic from a club/chairman that sacks a manager that has taken Liecs to the prem and managed in the prem and goes for a manager from a club in the division below us is also baffling. yep some strange people around

Are experienced Championship managers managing Leicester and Ipswich this season?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

4.00pm on the afternoon of the FA Cup 2nd round and Rovers aren't out of it yet.

More to the point, they`ll be in tomorrow`s draw. Be great if the draw Arsenal at home and they then lose to Crewe in the re-arranged match though!

I think they have previous for things like that - didn`t they draw at Barnet (?) a few years back, draw someone big in the third round at home and then lose the replay after crowing about it for days?

Mind you, we can`t talk either - all we had to do was beat Shrewsbury to play Liverpool at home didn`t we?

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mason said:

Where as your logic says you are delighted with a manager who has never been head coach in the championship rather than one who has, ok then;

but the logic from a club/chairman that sacks a manager that has taken Liecs to the prem and managed in the prem and goes for a manager from a club in the division below us is also baffling. yep some strange people around

I wanted Pearson to stay, that’s obvious if you have ever read any of my posts.

However JL sacked him, but every day of the week I’d prefer us to have Manning who had taken Oxford to top two over Taylor, who I admit had a tough job at Rotherham but despite greater funds than previous managers there, struggled.

1 hour ago, mason said:

slight difference is the bucket loads of cash they have to play with

So the difference is not the experience of the manager, but the quality of the squad, as determined by cash or recruitment.

So why does it matter whether we employ a man who has taken a team up or a man who has never led a squad at this level?

It doesn't.

23 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Pompey fans very unhappy, Sags have allocated them 750 tickets for the boxing day clash, absolute tinpot and an embarrassment to Bristol .

Thought EFL rules stated 2,000 away fans or 10% if capacity less than 20,000.

Edited by E.G.Red

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So your logic here presumably then is you would have been delighted if Pearson’s replacement was a bloke sacked after a 5-0 defeat that left them 4 points adrift of safety in our division?

Ok then.

I'm going to be real, Taylor has some blips on his record. But Manning took over a team that was in 13th place, got them to 3rd, and then the following season left them in the relegation zone. He then took over an underperforming Oxford and was doing a little bit better than Robinson had done, someone who it seems Rovers could have gotten if they'd wanted but opted for Taylor, and left them doing well less than a third of the way into the season.

I have no idea how you could possibly look at their CVs and think it highlights some huge difference in quality. Frankly, yes it's better than when you guys were 1-3 odds for Lampard, but realistically Manning's gotten a way better job than I think he deserves based on the very-limited CV. 

6 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

I'm going to be real, Taylor has some blips on his record. But Manning took over a team that was in 13th place, got them to 3rd, and then the following season left them in the relegation zone. He then took over an underperforming Oxford and was doing a little bit better than Robinson had done, someone who it seems Rovers could have gotten if they'd wanted but opted for Taylor, and left them doing well less than a third of the way into the season.

I have no idea how you could possibly look at their CVs and think it highlights some huge difference in quality. Frankly, yes it's better than when you guys were 1-3 odds for Lampard, but realistically Manning's gotten a way better job than I think he deserves based on the very-limited CV. 

A little bit better than Robinson?

I suppose thats one way to compare 2nd to the relegation zone.

Just because the clubs are rivals isn't an excuse to be dishonest.

I personally don't really rate Taylor, but mostly from not knowing lots about him.

I won't try and diminish what he did with Exeter as a way to make him sound crap. He took over a side that was a playoff side in league 2 and got them up

At Rotherham he was a club that yo-yos between the Championship and the little leagues, most people would have expected them to be in a relegation fight and they are. But arguably doing worse than people would have thought being 7 points adrift of a crap Huddersfield side.

He's now at a poxy club filled with pensioners on high wages so will need to use all of his acumen to get your lot sorted for next season.

On 01/12/2023 at 23:09, RedLionLad said:

No, but he did come out with these two crackers today...

"Without talking at length about the neighbours [Bristol City] they've shown what is achievable of football clubs in Bristol and traditionally, historically, Bristol Rovers is as big a club as you get in this city."

"Bristol Rovers could become a bigger club and a sustainable Championship club."

And we could be a top six Prem side regularly playing Champion’s League footy. 
What? 
Taylor started it. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

I never said “huge difference”.

I said I would pick Manning over Taylor.

Your characterisation of his record at Oxford when compared to Robinson is laughable.

8 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

By that strange logic, Rob Edwards shouldn’t have got the Luton job, Woodgate shouldn’t have got the Boro job, McKenna shouldn’t have got the Ipswich job, Mousinho shouldn’t have got the Pompey job…..the list goes on and on. 

Taylor is the best you could’ve got by a distance, but by no means not an excellent appointment, apart from the fact he’s probably on the biggest wage you’ve ever paid a manager in your history. I see he’s not been allowed to bring in his own men, for now anyway, that’s not gonna help him in any way at all. 

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

He's now at a poxy club filled with pensioners on high wages so will need to use all of his acumen to get your lot sorted for next season.

High wages as well as their pension?

Cushty!

By signing more pensioners, maybe the Rags are planning to become less OAPless.

Walker Zimmerman would be a great signing for them when he's a bit older.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I never said “huge difference”.

I said I would pick Manning over Taylor.

Your characterisation of his record at Oxford when compared to Robinson is laughable.

Robinson took over Oxford when they were in 16th place. He then finished 12th, 4th, 6th, and 8th. So Oxford being in 2nd place only a third into the season wasn't unparalleled territory. Manning probably did a better job than Robinson but given where he picked them up from, it's not that much better.

2 hours ago, transfer reader said:

A little bit better than Robinson?

I suppose thats one way to compare 2nd to the relegation zone.

Just because the clubs are rivals isn't an excuse to be dishonest.

I personally don't really rate Taylor, but mostly from not knowing lots about him.

I won't try and diminish what he did with Exeter as a way to make him sound crap. He took over a side that was a playoff side in league 2 and got them up

At Rotherham he was a club that yo-yos between the Championship and the little leagues, most people would have expected them to be in a relegation fight and they are. But arguably doing worse than people would have thought being 7 points adrift of a crap Huddersfield side.

It's not dishonest at all, especially given that was his 5th season at the club. Where every season he finished above where he picked the club up from. They had a poor season for sure, Manning's job at MK Dons is arguably worse because he picked them up at a higher point, and got sacked at a lower point. 

Manning's job at Oxford and Taylor's job at Exeter respectively are very similar for their respective levels. The only difference is that Manning never actually achieved anything because he left less than a third into the league season. And frankly, he was extremely backed at Oxford. Taylor got Exeter back in League 1 for the first time in 10 years and left Exeter in 11th, which just to be clear would've been Exeter's second-highest finish ever. He shouldn't get full credit for that like Manning shouldn't at Oxford though, to be clear.

53 minutes ago, petehinton said:

By that strange logic, Rob Edwards shouldn’t have got the Luton job, Woodgate shouldn’t have got the Boro job, McKenna shouldn’t have got the Ipswich job, Mousinho shouldn’t have got the Pompey job…..the list goes on and on. 

Taylor is the best you could’ve got by a distance, but by no means not an excellent appointment, apart from the fact he’s probably on the biggest wage you’ve ever paid a manager in your history. I see he’s not been allowed to bring in his own men, for now anyway, that’s not gonna help him in any way at all. 

Rob Edwards took over a Forest Green team and in his first and only season there won the league with them. Comfortably too (the points toll doesn't indicate it but they went on a fairly poor run after promotion was secured). He then went to Watford where, let's be honest; it's Watford. Being sacked there is so shockingly common that it borders on cliche and I wonder why managers would even go there. Luton seemed like a sensible move. To be clear one of Manning's distinguished points from Edwards is precisely the fact he was sacked by MK Dons. He has a pretty big blip on his record. If his first and only season he finished 2nd with Oxford he should be rated highly. And the most shocking thing about it for me is Pearson was gotten rid of for him! 

8 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

It's not dishonest at all, especially given that was his 5th season at the club. Where every season he finished above where he picked the club up from. They had a poor season for sure, Manning's job at MK Dons is arguably worse because he picked them up at a higher point, and got sacked at a lower point. 

Manning's job at Oxford and Taylor's job at Exeter respectively are very similar for their respective levels. The only difference is that Manning never actually achieved anything because he left less than a third into the league season. And frankly, he was extremely backed at Oxford. Taylor got Exeter back in League 1 for the first time in 10 years and left Exeter in 11th, which just to be clear would've been Exeter's second-highest finish ever. He shouldn't get full credit for that like Manning shouldn't at Oxford though, to be clear.

Manning had most of his key players at MK D*ns sold

Telling half a story is as dishonest as telling a false story.

Now go back to your sister, you 6 fingered freak.

Edited by transfer reader
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Rob Edwards took over a Forest Green team and in his first and only season there won the league with them. Comfortably too (the points toll doesn't indicate it but they went on a fairly poor run after promotion was secured). He then went to Watford where, let's be honest; it's Watford. Being sacked there is so shockingly common that it borders on cliche and I wonder why managers would even go there. Luton seemed like a sensible move. To be clear one of Manning's distinguished points from Edwards is precisely the fact he was sacked by MK Dons. He has a pretty big blip on his record. If his first and only season he finished 2nd with Oxford he should be rated highly. And the most shocking thing about it for me is Pearson was gotten rid of for him! 

So winning league two, and having 10 games at championship level, is better than being regarded as one of the best young coaches in England, getting 89 points in league one, and leaving a languishing, relegation threatened side in second in league one about 12 months later? It’s widely known why MK Dons fell apart the next season - and by the way, still got relegated under the new man after he left, with loads of points still to play for. Hardly a blot on him. 

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have sacked Pearson for him either - but I can understand the logic behind it, in roundabout ways. 

9 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Completely deluded Sag.    #shock

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

There was no way Manning would leave Oxford for Rovers FFS 😂

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

You dodged a bullet with Robinson, most over-rated manager around, shame he didn’t get the job