IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, transfer reader said:

Manning had most of his key players at MK D*ns sold

Telling half a story is as dishonest as telling a false story.

Now go back to your sister, you 6 fingered freak.

"Most of his key players"

They sold two players. If you make your own team that reliant on two players that without those two players you go from third to relegation, then to me that's a sign of poor management and not an excuse. 

In addition, it's not like he was playing with 9 players. They signed replacements. No they didn't splash the cash but Twine wasn't a big buy anyway.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

So winning league two, and having 10 games at championship level, is better than being regarded as one of the best young coaches in England, getting 89 points in league one, and leaving a languishing, relegation threatened side in second in league one about 12 months later? It’s widely known why MK Dons fell apart the next season - and by the way, still got relegated under the new man after he left, with loads of points still to play for. Hardly a blot on him. 

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have sacked Pearson for him either - but I can understand the logic behind it, in roundabout ways. 

Is he regarded as one of the best young coaches in England? By what metric? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm genuinely asking because idk if he'd make my top 10. 

Oxford were clearly underperforming pretty massively, probably down to lethargy due to Robinson being there for so long, it happens. I imagine most managers would have kept them up. And yes MK Dons still got relegated, but I don't think that really means anything it could just be that they hired a worse manager than Manning. It's always struck me as silly when a team, I'll give an example, Ole at United, people pointed to the previous bad performances of managers performing as a justification for structural issues. And whilst those structural issues did exist for sure, it's also possible to replace a bad manager with another bad manager, and keeping a bad manager just because you have those structural issues I don't think will solve anything. 

As for Edwards I think look if he'd absolutely shit the bed at Watford then maybe but he was like 9th. Really not that poor of a performance, so a team like Luton that seemed to be wanting to take a chance on a young manager with potential who in all honesty had been treated poorly by his last club before being sacked even when not underperforming (reminds me of all the times Darren Moore got sacked), seems like a gamble worth taking. Sometimes those don't pay off, Nathan Jones is a weird one for instance he seems to be a good manager, but only for Luton :laugh:. Garner another one I remember when we got him there were a number of coaches and players talking about how much promise he had, he was awful! Sometimes you get Rob Edwards and Michael Beales other times you get Ben Garners and Frank Lampards. To be clear I don't think I'll be proven wrong if Manning does amazingly, we're just talking about CVs here. I imagine with the young players he'll do okay, seems to have a good style too. 

2 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

There was no way Manning would leave Oxford for Rovers FFS 😂

If Barton had gotten sacked last January, before Manning took the Oxford job, Manning could've very easily been Rovers manager. Manning of course has high value cus he did a decent job at Oxford, whereas Taylor's just gotten sacked. But I don't think there is a difference really between the two based on their CVs. Which has nothing to do really with whether X manager would join Y team.

11 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Is he regarded as one of the best young coaches in England? By what metric? I'm not trying to be snarky I'm genuinely asking because idk if he'd make my top 10. 

Oxford were clearly underperforming pretty massively, probably down to lethargy due to Robinson being there for so long, it happens. I imagine most managers would have kept them up. And yes MK Dons still got relegated, but I don't think that really means anything it could just be that they hired a worse manager than Manning. It's always struck me as silly when a team, I'll give an example, Ole at United, people pointed to the previous bad performances of managers performing as a justification for structural issues. And whilst those structural issues did exist for sure, it's also possible to replace a bad manager with another bad manager, and keeping a bad manager just because you have those structural issues I don't think will solve anything. 

As for Edwards I think look if he'd absolutely shit the bed at Watford then maybe but he was like 9th. Really not that poor of a performance, so a team like Luton that seemed to be wanting to take a chance on a young manager with potential who in all honesty had been treated poorly by his last club before being sacked even when not underperforming (reminds me of all the times Darren Moore got sacked), seems like a gamble worth taking. Sometimes those don't pay off, Nathan Jones is a weird one for instance he seems to be a good manager, but only for Luton :laugh:. Garner another one I remember when we got him there were a number of coaches and players talking about how much promise he had, he was awful! Sometimes you get Rob Edwards and Michael Beales other times you get Ben Garners and Frank Lampards. To be clear I don't think I'll be proven wrong if Manning does amazingly, we're just talking about CVs here. I imagine with the young players he'll do okay, seems to have a good style too. 

Oh ok, so you are either proved right, or proved not wrong. Time to put you on ignore as you use far too many words to say nothing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

Oh ok, so you are either proved right, or proved not wrong. Time to put you on ignore as you use far too many words to say nothing.

I don't know whether you are purposefully or unintentionally misrepresenting me, but I'll presume the latter. I never said I could be proved right. I said the statements I made can neither be proven right nor wrong.

Because I'm not talking about how they WILL end up, I'm talking about their CVs. It's not something you can prove wrong by Manning do well.

For instance, who looks like the more promising player; Endrick or Alex Scott? 

The answer to me is definitely Endrick. Now, imagine Endrick in a game tomorrow has a career-ending injury, he never plays football again. Does that mean I was wrong? No, promise doesn't always lead to actualised potential, Ravel Morrison demonstrated that. But Endrick would have still been the more promising player. Similar here, Manning could be the next Howe, I'm purely making statements about their CV. You can disagree with me critiquing Manning's CV, but Manning doing well wouldn't mean I was wrong. Just like Manning doing badly wouldn't prove me right. 

4 hours ago, CiderJar said:

This fkwit Boring Sag is really living up to his name, isn't he?

I’d rather be a bit boring than be so angry and upset about a person on the internet that I insult them unprovoked because they like a different set of 11 men in shorts chasing around a ball with their feet and disagree with them on their opinions, though I guess with no justification as to why :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Boring Sag said:

I’d rather be a bit boring than be so angry and upset about a person on the internet that I insult them unprovoked because they like a different set of 11 men in shorts chasing around a ball with their feet and disagree with them on their opinions, though I guess with no justification as to why :laugh:

I'm neither angry nor upset, just bored.

The very definition of a "gashead" is someone who is dim witted. You choose to adopt that and then add "boring". If anything, I am agreeing with you.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 1

@Boring Sag has a point to be honest, neither manager has much of a track record to go on, only difference is we sacked Pearson to go with this man and they got rid of a convict (2 years too late may I add).There’s an argument that Manning is more progressive and his style of football has more potential to work further up the pyramid but that’s just guess work for now. We still have literally every other aspect of football on and off the pitch to laugh at them about though.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

@Boring Sag has a point to be honest, neither manager has much of a track record to go on, only difference is we sacked Pearson to go with this man and they got rid of a convict (2 years too late may I add).There’s an argument that Manning is more progressive and his style of football has more potential to work further up the pyramid but that’s just guess work for now. We still have literally every other aspect of football on and off the pitch to laugh at them about though.

Yeah I generally agree. I like certain managers in the lower leagues so when they get better jobs I'm quite happy about it. I liked Ian Evatt when he was at Barrow for instance, and was a long-time fan of Chris Wilder, but he's gone off the deep end it seems. I also liked Russell Martin, and for everything I've said about Manning, he did significantly outperform Martin at MK Dons in his first season. 

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I fancy Creepy Crawley for a win tonight in the EFL Cup.  Crawley are smack bang in the middle of League 2 but I still think they will do well tonight unless there is a new manager bounce at the Sags - Of course it will take a lot more than a new manager to turn them into a proper football team.

They're 'bigger than City' according to their new guv'nor so should sweep little clubs like Crawley aside with ultimate ease in front of 1000's.

• Like 1

Just now, petehinton said:

What a great start for the snake 

Also seen earlier they’re charging £36 adult and £32 for u18 for their games over Christmas period….wowza. Crazy how they need the money that badly when they’re the richest club in the world. 

Babestation is not free mind. Someone has to pay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What a great start for the snake 

Also seen earlier they’re charging £36 adult and £32 for u18 for their games over Christmas period….wowza. Crazy how they need the money that badly when they’re the richest club in the world. 

Maybe they need to pay the kids who put up the new stand?

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Seriously, did he actually say that ?  if true he's a grade one idiot !:shocking:

"Without talking at length about the neighbours [Bristol City] they've shown what is achievable of football clubs in Bristol and traditionally, historically, Bristol Rovers is as big a club as you get in this city."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

32 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

"Without talking at length about the neighbours [Bristol City] they've shown what is achievable of football clubs in Bristol and traditionally, historically, Bristol Rovers is as big a club as you get in this city."

They’re smaller than our Women’s team. Absolute grubs.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1