IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

that speed camera at the bottom of Saltford Hill would be clicking like a paparazzi photographer

And all those home owners in those nice houses are going to sit back and let the swamp dwellers drop their chip wrappers in their front gardens, Me thinks they may well create hell to stop the horse punching zombie hordes building within 40 miles of their property

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, B block said:

And all those home owners in those nice houses are going to sit back and let the swamp dwellers drop their chip wrappers in their front gardens, Me thinks they may well create hell to stop the horse punching zombie hordes building within 40 miles of their property

Bang On!!!! Suspect the local rowing club would be chucking a fit too

Edited by Sweeneys Penalties

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Was working with a couple of reasonable sags today who are well capable of a decent and balanced discussion about the Bristol clubs...they don’t know each other but both had heard separate rumours about the gas possibly sharing a new stadium with Bath RFC near Saltford...don’t really care but thought I’d mention it as it fits in with part of your thinking...

With most clubs this would be a reasonable possibility, but nothing is simple with Rovers. If a planning application went in tomorrow it would be 3-4 years before they could move there. By then their financial loss for each year would have pushed the amount the Wael family have put into the club to somewhere in the region of £15m. Selling the Memorial Stadium would, at best, just enable Wael & co to recover their investment. 

If they shared a ground with Bath Rugby it would mean one of two options. First, share the build cost, which requires a few million pounds from somebody.  The Wael family don’t seem keen to keep pumping money into a club, so another owner would have to come from somewhere. The second option would be to pay rent and go their as tenants, which isn’t any real improvement

14 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

cant see it myself. Public Transport is shocking, car parking is virtually non existent and the land space would need to be massive to accommodate everything they would need  to (including parking), so I cant buy into the Saltford rumour. If the old Fry's site in Keynsham was still going begging, I'd have thought that it would have been just the site.....fitting the criteria that there is a railway station, it's a large site and there are plenty of pubs in Keynsham. That and the fact that Keynsham houses the council of Bath and North East Somerset. 

Its all conjecture of course, but if I had to pinpoint a site, I'd be looking toward Trowbridge (the training ground is in Farleigh Hungerford) or Chippenham for Bath Rugby... and The Gas have no business there at all

I live in Trowbridge and if the Gas move in I'd have to sell up and move out!!

Besides, any spare field around here is just developed for housing, I can't think of anywhere here that would be suitable for a Stadium.

The local council are also anti-sport that's why Trowbridge Town F.C. dissapeared all those years ago...their old ground is now a housing estate!

• Like 3

For my sins, I went to the Rec over the weekend and got chatting about stadiums and redevelopment. Their support seem to think the redevelopment of the Rec is pretty much guaranteed. The amount of business the rugby brings into the centre of the city on match days is quite surprising and won't be replaced by tourists plus it seems to have the backing of people in the city. I did notice that there are posts on the Rec field, where their big booze tent is, showing where the rear of a permanent stand would be and doesn't impinge too far on to the sports field TBH. 

I can see the rugby staying where it is but they won't accept football there in any form. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

With most clubs this would be a reasonable possibility, but nothing is simple with Rovers. If a planning application went in tomorrow it would be 3-4 years before they could move there. By then their financial loss for each year would have pushed the amount the Wael family have put into the club to somewhere in the region of £15m. Selling the Memorial Stadium would, at best, just enable Wael & co to recover their investment. 

If they shared a ground with Bath Rugby it would mean one of two options. First, share the build cost, which requires a few million pounds from somebody.  The Wael family don’t seem keen to keep pumping money into a club, so another owner would have to come from somewhere. The second option would be to pay rent and go their as tenants, which isn’t any real improvement

just to lob the cat among the pigeons...I was at school with Bruce (owner of Bath Rugby). If I recall correctly, he was a very minor Rovers fan, but Rugby was always his major passion on the sporting front. I'd pretty much toss the Gas theory to one side now.. he was/is far too sensible to bring the swamp donkeys to the party. 

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Well you never know, perhaps Dyson will plough in the millions to make it happen then the sags can run out to their true theme tune...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

just to lob the cat among the pigeons...I was at school with Bruce (owner of Bath Rugby). If I recall correctly, he was a very minor Rovers fan, but Rugby was always his major passion on the sporting front. I'd pretty much toss the Gas theory to one side now.. he was/is far too sensible to bring the swamp donkeys to the party. 

That little tit bit will get the fewers very excited!

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

For my sins, I went to the Rec over the weekend and got chatting about stadiums and redevelopment. Their support seem to think the redevelopment of the Rec is pretty much guaranteed. The amount of business the rugby brings into the centre of the city on match days is quite surprising and won't be replaced by tourists plus it seems to have the backing of people in the city. I did notice that there are posts on the Rec field, where their big booze tent is, showing where the rear of a permanent stand would be and doesn't impinge too far on to the sports field TBH. 

I can see the rugby staying where it is but they won't accept football there in any form. 

you claim that...BUT its a major uphill struggle. Friends of the Rec (and their well financed opposition) have a million more tricks to play...at every last stage of the way. The Rec was bequeathed to amateur sport.....and that is Bath Rugbys biggest problem

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

That little tit bit will get the fewers very excited!

if I was them, I'd surrender . Bruce lives in France and couldnt give a toss about 'em now

5 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

you claim that...BUT its a major uphill struggle. Friends of the Rec (and their well financed opposition) have a million more tricks to play...at every last stage of the way. The Rec was bequeathed to amateur sport.....and that is Bath Rugbys biggest problem

I'm only repeating what was said in a pre-match discussion over a few beers SP and have no idea if they're correct. 

It's actually quite a pleasant experience with the venue in the city centre. It would be a real pity if they had to move, particularly for the many small businesses who make serious money when Bath are at home. 

Edited by Ska Junkie

12 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

You on a wind up SP? If you are, that's quite brilliant. :clap:Bruce went to my old school so we may share an 'education'. 

Edited by Ska Junkie

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'm only repeating what was said in a pre-match discussion over a few beers SP and have no idea if they're correct. 

It's actually quite a pleasant experience with the venue in the city centre. It would be a real pity if they had to move, particularly for the many small businesses who make serious money when Bath are at home. 

the Club and local business have made their views very well known. I agree, and as a Bath born and bred person, the Rugby Club is an integral part of the life of central Bath. The moneyed Bath likes to live on a Chocolate Box  lid though

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

You on a wind up SP? If you are, that's quite brilliant. :clap:

No I'm serious. I too am ex St Brendans. Same year, same Rugby team

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

the Club and local business have made their views very well known. I agree, and as a Bath born and bred person, the Rugby Club is an integral part of the life of central Bath. The moneyed Bath likes to live in a Chocolate Box  lid though

Build it in BA2 is their answer I suppose?

36 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Besides, any spare field around here is just developed for housing, I can't think of anywhere here that would be suitable for a Stadium.

The local council are also anti-sport that's why Trowbridge Town F.C. dissapeared all those years ago...their old ground is now a housing estate!

Frome Road.. yes I know about that. I'm due for a meeting in County Hall on Friday btw

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Don't Trowbridge Town play opposite the retail park where McDonald's is?  A big "no" to Bath Rugby coming this way, if they are allowed to develop The Rec it should be in conjunction with Bath City.

2 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Don't Trowbridge Town play opposite the retail park where McDonald's is?  A big "no" to Bath Rugby coming this way, if they are allowed to develop The Rec it should be in conjunction with Bath City.

They do indeed, Woodmarsh is the name of the (field) they play at..... it is quite literally a field with a portacabin for changing rooms. Actually maybe that would be a step up for Rovers!!

TTFC started up again at a much lower level than when they were at Frome Road. But to be honest I couldn't tell you what league they play in now. Seems a long time ago since the days of the Beazer Homes League Southern Division!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

They do indeed, Woodmarsh is the name of the (field) they play at..... it is quite literally a field with a portacabin for changing rooms. Actually maybe that would be a step up for Rovers!!

TTFC started up again at a much lower level than when they were at Frome Road. But to be honest I couldn't tell you what league they play in now. Seems a long time ago since the days of the Beazer Homes League Southern Division!!

OMG...I recall Cyril Beazer well