IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 hours ago, bodin said:

My point wasn't we could emulate Bournemouth, my point was Bournemouth have a fanbase who must be in disbelief of where they are now, so I don't think they'd think they deserve better

I didn't say it, and there are uneducated members of every fanbase, City included. I have a mate who supports City and I asked him how Jay DaSilva was, because as a player i've kept watch of him for a couple years, and he said "who?"

Honestly? Not in a million years. It's exactly what I said when we were sitting around 4thish and on amazing form in League 1 in the 16/17 season, in the short term yes 3 promotions on the bounce great. But in the long term I didn't want us to go up that season, it would have been embarrassing. We still had a Conference squad and needed to take time to build a team.

Whilst I get your point, but there really haven't been a lot of teams around Rovers level who are on good form, in fact the majority are on awful form. The only teams near us that have been on good form from what I can remember are Plymouth and Oxford. And that's only 3 of 13 teams (including Wycombe).

I was at the game, it was a poor choice of words. Nothing more.

Don't think I've seen a City fan on Gas Chat in a long time, but a lot get banned because after a loss they'll be like "mind da gap sags" just as Rovers will go "unlucky da shit, we're coming for you," on otib and probably get banned for it. But I don't run Gas Chat? And if people who genuinely want to debate get banned then that's wrong.

For me I've always thought Darrell Clarke was a great manager, on the same level as someone like Paul Hurst. He just needed backing, think about it, had our board not sold Taylor, Bodin and Harrison, he'd have built one hell of a strike force and we'd probably be competiting for promotion right now. I don't think you can expect any manager to sell their 4 top goalscorers in the space of 18 months and expect him to replace all of them effectively and expect him to improve other positions on the pitch simultaneously with very limited funds. 

I think Clarke would be very successful at say, a Bradford or a Mansfield, someone with a capacity to back their owner.

Whilst I disagree with looking at the bigger picture I do see his point.

But win percentages have never been a good measure to analyse a manager's success on imo. Because you'll have the same win percentage if you have 50 wins and 50 losses, as you would if you had 50 wins and 50 draws over your managerial tenure. Yet we all know 50 wins and 50 draws is far superior, although not realistic.

I never said we were world beaters or compared us to Barcelona. I said we're on great form so I expect us to stay up comfortably. 

sags taking things out of context as usual to suit their own vivid imagination. The Loftus Cheek Man City comment was a sag phoning in to Radio Bristol after Saturday's game. I'd get your facts right.

9 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Whatever happens over the rest of the season, we will be a Championship team at least next year (likely imo) and they will be a L1 club with L2 fans in a Non League ground spunking ‘gifts’ at every opportunity.

Brilliant!

Surely an apt new name for them would be "The Gift Spunkers"?!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, bodin said:

The difference is i've used our form since Coughlan took over. Whereas Johnson has been at City for years and you've picked and chosen. You've also got a history under Johnson of poor spells in the second half of the season. The whole point is I don't think we need a club rebuild we just need a few players here and there, and there will be players of good quality available for limited funds, whether that be free agents, non-league stars of perhaps loanees. The infrastructure is obviously a problem but it's only a matter of time until the Al Qadis are forced out.

?

How exactly will they be forced out then? Genuine question.

2 hours ago, bodin said:

The difference is i've used our form since Coughlan took over. Whereas Johnson has been at City for years and you've picked and chosen. You've also got a history under Johnson of poor spells in the second half of the season. The whole point is I don't think we need a club rebuild we just need a few players here and there, and there will be players of good quality available for limited funds, whether that be free agents, non-league stars of perhaps loanees. The infrastructure is obviously a problem but it's only a matter of time until the Al Qadis are forced out.

They seem to have a great squad and with players like Nathan Ake and David Brooks in their team they could reap high profits in the future on some of their players, hell, Chelsea were willing to bid £50m for Wilson apparently before they went for Higuain.

I have some mates who are City fans and we talk about performances and what not. 

To take it back a few years I remember us getting in a lot of loan players in our first season in League 1. Particularly, Chelsea duo Charlie Colkett and Jake Clarke-Salter. Colkett was a great young player, seem to remember in the Chelsea youth team he was the main player that used to assist Tammy, but he struggled for game time so went back in January. Clarke-Salter was injured the majority of the time and when he finally played he was awful, got turned inside out by Lee Gregory. Somehow he's managed the eredivisie. 

The ground is awful, especially the pitch last season which was atrocious. But in all honesty we always seem to have a good atmosphere, well whenever I go at least. Of course that might be mocked by City fans but I think it's true, although not a testament to our supporters really, more down to the standing conditions. But there's plenty of fans who are following clubs who are performing much better in League 1 who have awful fans. Fleetwood springs to mind. I think in the short term the quality in our squad (you may point to our position but that was down to the lack of quality in one area), might save us for a next couple of seasons. But in the long term I am worried, although I don't think we'll be competing at the bottom of League 2 anytime soon, in my opinion. 

No problem mate, always happy to help. But hit me up next time you want to have an actual footballing debate rather than going "argh his a gazhed yur shite."

That's completely different though, firstly Nottingham Forest have won 2 European Cups, something Notts County won't ever achieve, and secondly I don't think we've got the potential to be the biggest in our city. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11707/11446570/bristol-rovers-striker-ellis-harrison-to-have-ipswich-medical-ahead-of-1m-move

"Ipswich are understood to be paying an initial fee of £750,000, rising to £1m with bonuses."

How is losing to a non-league teams more of a justification of where our club should be or deserves to be more than the size of our fanbase? The lack of quality of a team isn't a justification of where a team deserves to be.

Doncaster, who although high in the league have lost to Wimbledon and Shrewsbury in recent weeks, and when we play them they'll probably be 7 without a win given they lose to Blackpool tomorrow.

Even Bath have a ground we can only dream of at this rate.

Is that the atmosphere where you sing songs continuously about Sheed’eads? Pleased that we give you something to sing about because win or lose the quality of football that you lot pay to watch is truly woeful. I don’t envy you in the slightest.

Rovers worked miracles in 1990 when they didn’t have a pot to piss in, but eventually the bubble burst. 

You might hang around for a few more years, but you will drop down with the club being ran as it is sooner or later.

Sometimes it’s hard being a City fan but at least we have seen progress off the pitch and we are unlikely to suffer the sort of horrific run that we had last season. I’m not the biggest fan of Lee Johnson, but he does seem to be finally giving us some stability now and we won’t be having any last day of the season relegation scares this year.

The Championship is a hard league. League One however is nowhere near the standard of the Championship. Last time we were there we won it at a canter. 

The difference between us and you is that we can compete, all your mob can do is hope.

20 hours ago, bodin said:

Deluded how?

There's a lot of great players in non-league who have the capacity to step up. There's a lot of great young talent in the Premier League too. I didn't suggest that the Al Qadis were going to invest heavily, our transfers don't even need to be high fees. 

Our position is down to the fact we didn't have a goalscorer and now we do.

It's not one win. We've been great since Coughlan joined. And he possibly meant Clarke-Harris, and that wasn't down to quality, that's down to they look similar.

No , there’s not lots of great players in non league , that’s why they’re non league . As for young prem players . Most top prem clubs have a strict vetting system . It took a lot for us to gain Chelsea’s trust to sign Tammy etc. Also the charge loan fees which you can’t afford. Unlike your forum where every city fan gets banned instantly, you’re welcome on here but you’re coming across as a typical head buried in the sand kind of gas head so be prepared to be laughed at. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bodin said:

Honestly? Not in a million years. It's exactly what I said when we were sitting around 4thish and on amazing form in League 1 in the 16/17 season, in the short term yes 3 promotions on the bounce great. But in the long term I didn't want us to go up that season, it would have been embarrassing. We still had a Conference squad and needed to take time to build a team.

Fair comment. I wasn't actually taking the piss by the way. 

The step up between L1 and the Championship is as big as it's ever been IMHO with the resources available to most up here. It's a very difficult division to stay in for any side coming up from L1. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bodin said:

Do you misunderstand me? By "deserve better," I mean around 8-10th in League 1. Around that. And there's evidence for that, specifically the 9th highest average attendance in the league. And the fact we'd have the 2nd highest would be go down. I'm not dumb enough to think we deserve the Championship, maybe that's what you think I'm implying? 

Also that's quite ignorant, just the other day a guy on gaschat started a petition and met up with the board and conducted a 2 hour interview with the board. What else can you do? They're not poor enough for us to boycott. 

This is classic gas logic. You deserve to be where you are. No one has a Devine right to be anywhere other than where they finish after 46 games. Villa and forest fans bang on that they should be prem sides because of their history. It’s bollocks and means nothing. You’ve also stated you deserve to be higher because you have the 9th highest average attendance. That is laughable tbh. The way you lot bang on about crowds , you actually think your a big club but can’t even sell out that tip. Coming from a city the size of Bristol your crowds are terrible and apart from a spell in the 1950’s always have been ( ours ain’t great either by the way) 

this is the main reason for this thread and piss taking of you. Your delusions of grandeur are through the roof.  

Ill just add, just in case you thought of responding likewise . 

I don’t know any city fans that think we’re a  big club and most realise we’re a small club at championship level and are punching above our weight in regards to wages. 

Also mcgeedy is shite at championship level. You haven’t been in it for over a quarter of a century but believe me , the gulf between the second and third tier is bigger than ever and getting bigger. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Here is further evidence, were it required, of the hyperbole which we are gifted by 15ers so frequently. The fee for Harrison was “a reported £750,000”; you were not offered £1m by Ipswich, (unless you actually were and succeeded only in negotiating them down).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44925395

4 hours ago, bodin said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11707/11446570/bristol-rovers-striker-ellis-harrison-to-have-ipswich-medical-ahead-of-1m-move

"Ipswich are understood to be paying an initial fee of £750,000, rising to £1m with bonuses."

Harrispn's Ipswich stats ...

CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER
        APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS
Ipswich 23 Jul, 18   £750,000 9 (7) 1 0 (1) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (0)

So that'll just be £750K you'll receive then, unless Ipswich pay bonuses once a player makes three or more starts?

3 hours ago, Swede said:

sags taking things out of context as usual to suit their own vivid imagination. The Loftus Cheek Man City comment was a sag phoning in to Radio Bristol after Saturday's game. I'd get your facts right.

Where did I take anything out of context? I didn't say it so what's the point, there's plenty of football fans from all clubs who are uneducated on things other than their club. 

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

@bodin Have you posted on here before,  but used a different name ?

No

3 hours ago, NOTBLUE said:

Boding ,are you coming for da shit or not?

No and I haven't implied anything differently.

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

?

How exactly will they be forced out then? Genuine question.

It's simple business, why would Duane Sports want to keep hold on a slowly deteriorating asset. They were hoping we'd get UWE and go up in value but now that won't happen why wouldn't they sell. I don't mean "forced out by the fans," I mean it won't be long before they want to get rid of Rovers.

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Is that the atmosphere where you sing songs continuously about Sheed’eads? Pleased that we give you something to sing about because win or lose the quality of football that you lot pay to watch is truly woeful. I don’t envy you in the slightest.

Rovers worked miracles in 1990 when they didn’t have a pot to piss in, but eventually the bubble burst. 

You might hang around for a few more years, but you will drop down with the club being ran as it is sooner or later.

Sometimes it’s hard being a City fan but at least we have seen progress off the pitch and we are unlikely to suffer the sort of horrific run that we had last season. I’m not the biggest fan of Lee Johnson, but he does seem to be finally giving us some stability now and we won’t be having any last day of the season relegation scares this year.

The Championship is a hard league. League One however is nowhere near the standard of the Championship. Last time we were there we won it at a canter. 

The difference between us and you is that we can compete, all your mob can do is hope.

I've only ever heard two songs about Bristol City at the Mem, "if you all hate Bristol City clap your hands." And "we're coming for you." Which I heard once when we went up. There's plenty of songs, but even if there weren't how would you know? Or do you visit the Mem frequently?

Our atmosphere is nowhere near that of most Championship clubs and I haven't denied as such, but going up to grounds like Coventry and Fleetwood, two stadiums with awful atmospheres, makes me think subjectively that Rovers' atmosphere is good. And by good, I mean mid-table League 1. I'm not going "da mem is like camp nou" which is what you're implying I'm saying.

I literally haven't said any different, you're a much better run, bigger, better supported and more backed club than us and I haven't said any different. 

32 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No , there’s not lots of great players in non league , that’s why they’re non league . As for young prem players . Most top prem clubs have a strict vetting system . It took a lot for us to gain Chelsea’s trust to sign Tammy etc. Also the charge loan fees which you can’t afford. Unlike your forum where every city fan gets banned instantly, you’re welcome on here but you’re coming across as a typical head buried in the sand kind of gas head so be prepared to be laughed at. 

There are a lot of good players in Non-League, i'm not talking about 30 year old Billy Bricknell at Chelmsford, I'm talking about players that were let go maybe a bit too early by top Prem clubs who were signed at non-league level and have made their way up. Look at even us at an example, Taylor was non-league, Bodin was released by Northampton who were mid-table League 2. That's two examples, but there's young players in non-league who more than show that they're worthy of a step up. Sign a couple players and hope we can unearth a gem.

That's because Tammy was literally Chelsea's best young player, why wouldn't they? Sweeney and Telford both performed, so did Bola. Hell, not even the Prem is needed to be honest. Lumley and Bonham were both outstanding signings from the Championship on loan. 

I'm not, I haven't denied my club in the long-term is in a state, but our quality is much better than our league position makes out for imo. If Clarke-Harris keeps performing we'll be fine, and I can't see any reason why not.

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair comment. I wasn't actually taking the piss by the way. 

The step up between L1 and the Championship is as big as it's ever been IMHO with the resources available to most up here. It's a very difficult division to stay in for any side coming up from L1. 

It is but i'm actually quite surprised at how well Rotherham has done, I know they're in the relegation zone but last season they definitely didn't deserve to go up from the 46 game season. I think most predicted them to finish rock bottom.

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is classic gas logic. You deserve to be where you are. No one has a Devine right to be anywhere other than where they finish after 46 games. Villa and forest fans bang on that they should be prem sides because of their history. It’s bollocks and means nothing. You’ve also stated you deserve to be higher because you have the 9th highest average attendance. That is laughable tbh. The way you lot bang on about crowds , you actually think your a big club but can’t even sell out that tip. Coming from a city the size of Bristol your crowds are terrible and apart from a spell in the 1950’s always have been ( ours ain’t great either by the way) 

this is the main reason for this thread and piss taking of you. Your delusions of grandeur are through the roof.  

Ill just add, just in case you thought of responding likewise . 

I don’t know any city fans that think we’re a  big club and most realise we’re a small club at championship level and are punching above our weight in regards to wages. 

Also mcgeedy is shite at championship level. You haven’t been in it for over a quarter of a century but believe me , the gulf between the second and third tier is bigger than ever and getting bigger. 

Have I said once we're a big club? I didn't say we had a divine right, but usually bigger crowds means more revenue which means more money to spend which means more quality. Of course no one has an inherent right to it, but all it shows is our board is ineffective and can't do their job. We can't sell out, but yet only 5 clubs in the league given average attendances could. We have a mid-table League 1 fanbase, average attendances show that. Our crowds really aren't terrible for a city as big as Bristol, I can't think of one team who share a city with as big a quality gap as City and Rovers have and the lower team isn't miles off in terms of popularity. Can you?

Have I implied likewise? Genuinely look anywhere, have I implied whatsoever that City aren't miles ahead of Rovers? 

Also McGeady really isn't shit at Championship level, he was great at Preston and Sunderland Championship-level.

12 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Harrispn's Ipswich stats ...

CLUB FROM TO FEE LEAGUE FA CUP LGE CUP OTHER
        APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS APPS GLS
Ipswich 23 Jul, 18   £750,000 9 (7) 1 0 (1) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (0)

So that'll just be £750K you'll receive then, unless Ipswich pay bonuses once a player makes three or more starts?

Ipswich are going down and he'll likely play a lot more given he's a League One level striker, so we'll receive the bonuses then?

8 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

WTF are you talking about?

You're using a couple of FA Cup upsets to justify that our club should be much lower than it is, which makes no sense. Every club has FA Cup upsets, when Chelsea lost to Bradford did they deserve to be in League 1? The fact is FA Cup upsets occur because they're still professional footballers and with enough passion they can beat teams that field weakened sides. But consistently they can't, hence why they're so poor. Any team can lose to any team because it's 11 v 11. City lost to Wigan last season ffs

10 minutes ago, bodin said:

Ipswich are going down and he'll likely play a lot more given he's a League One level striker, so we'll receive the bonuses then?

You're using a couple of FA Cup upsets to justify that our club should be much lower than it is, which makes no sense. Every club has FA Cup upsets, when Chelsea lost to Bradford did they deserve to be in League 1? The fact is FA Cup upsets occur because they're still professional footballers and with enough passion they can beat teams that field weakened sides. But consistently they can't, hence why they're so poor. Any team can lose to any team because it's 11 v 11. City lost to Wigan last season ffs

1. I can’t believe that Ipswich will have agreed to pay any bonus based upon signing a player who has helped them achieve relegation. If you think that you’ll get a penny extra from Ipswich for Harrison then you’re going to be disappointed. 

2. My question was based solely upon your incoherent use of English. I mentioned nothing about your team and FA Cup upsets, numerous though they are. 

27 minutes ago, bodin said:

It is but i'm actually quite surprised at how well Rotherham has done, I know they're in the relegation zone but last season they definitely didn't deserve to go up from the 46 game season. I think most predicted them to finish rock bottom.

To be fair, the Millers tried a couple of years before and were rock bottom all season. They did know what to expect this time around but have done extremely well considering how pathetic they were the last time they were at this level. 

21 hours ago, bodin said:

Other than Oxford, not many teams at the bottom have had as good a run as Rovers. Rochdale, Walsall, Bradford, Wimbledon, Accrington and Scunthorpe are all on awful form and they're the teams Rovers are competiting with. We looked certain to go down under Clarke but now we look very likely to stay up under Coughlan. 

I don't think the issue with you is personnel though, I think it's the fact that City always have a massive drop off in the second part of the season. 

As you state, Rovers have been on a good run, that's what happens in football, other teams have been on poor runs, it changes, be watchful not cocky. Your real honeymoon period with the new upgraded coach was December. Narrow defeat in the first match at Sunderland, followed by three wins on the bounce. Honeymoon over and back to a little less dynamic form, still ok but not as good. Next Thirteen games inc cup and you pick up five more wins but, only three were league wins.  In the last ten league games you've averaged 1.4 per game since the start of Jan, with most points coming in this month. I suggest you hope for March results, as opposed to Jan and Feb and games against clubs in turmoil like Blackpool.  Good Luck.

Edited by Rich
correction

35 minutes ago, bodin said:

Do you field a weakened team to ensure an annual FA Cup upset every year then? 

4 hours ago, bodin said:

The difference is i've used our form since Coughlan took over. Whereas Johnson has been at City for years and you've picked and chosen. You've also got a history under Johnson of poor spells in the second half of the season.

So from February in 2016 when appointed we played 16 games and gained 24 points which kept us up. From February 2017 we played 18 games and got 26 points which is consistent to the season before. Now last season after playing a different way with the high pressing game, we had a nightmare as every player was knackered and shot to pieces. We gained 16 points from 17 games. So take last season out and we have not been that far off play off form from February onward in the other 2 seasons.

I think that is correct anyway!

1 hour ago, bodin said:

Where did I take anything out of context? I didn't say it so what's the point, there's plenty of football fans from all clubs who are uneducated on things other than their club. 

No

It's simple business, why would Duane Sports want to keep hold on a slowly deteriorating asset. They were hoping we'd get UWE and go up in value but now that won't happen why wouldn't they sell. I don't mean "forced out by the fans," I mean it won't be long before they want to get rid of Rovers.

I've only ever heard two songs about Bristol City at the Mem, "if you all hate Bristol City clap your hands." And "we're coming for you." Which I heard once when we went up. There's plenty of songs, but even if there weren't how would you know? Or do you visit the Mem frequently?

Our atmosphere is nowhere near that of most Championship clubs and I haven't denied as such, but going up to grounds like Coventry and Fleetwood, two stadiums with awful atmospheres, makes me think subjectively that Rovers' atmosphere is good. And by good, I mean mid-table League 1. I'm not going "da mem is like camp nou" which is what you're implying I'm saying.

I literally haven't said any different, you're a much better run, bigger, better supported and more backed club than us and I haven't said any different. 

There are a lot of good players in Non-League, i'm not talking about 30 year old Billy Bricknell at Chelmsford, I'm talking about players that were let go maybe a bit too early by top Prem clubs who were signed at non-league level and have made their way up. Look at even us at an example, Taylor was non-league, Bodin was released by Northampton who were mid-table League 2. That's two examples, but there's young players in non-league who more than show that they're worthy of a step up. Sign a couple players and hope we can unearth a gem.

That's because Tammy was literally Chelsea's best young player, why wouldn't they? Sweeney and Telford both performed, so did Bola. Hell, not even the Prem is needed to be honest. Lumley and Bonham were both outstanding signings from the Championship on loan. 

I'm not, I haven't denied my club in the long-term is in a state, but our quality is much better than our league position makes out for imo. If Clarke-Harris keeps performing we'll be fine, and I can't see any reason why not.

Have I said once we're a big club? I didn't say we had a divine right, but usually bigger crowds means more revenue which means more money to spend which means more quality. Of course no one has an inherent right to it, but all it shows is our board is ineffective and can't do their job. We can't sell out, but yet only 5 clubs in the league given average attendances could. We have a mid-table League 1 fanbase, average attendances show that. Our crowds really aren't terrible for a city as big as Bristol, I can't think of one team who share a city with as big a quality gap as City and Rovers have and the lower team isn't miles off in terms of popularity. Can you?

Have I implied likewise? Genuinely look anywhere, have I implied whatsoever that City aren't miles ahead of Rovers? 

Also McGeady really isn't shit at Championship level, he was great at Preston and Sunderland Championship-level.

In the main your fans act like your a big club is what I meant. 

There maybe the odd gem found in non league but you have to have a semi decent scouting network to find them and as you have volunteer coaches I can’t  see that you would  put much money into it. 

Mcgeedy was regarded as a bad apple by many Preston fans and mainly came off the bench for Sunderland . 

In regards to fan base % to population , your average attendance is poor and you can’t use the excuse that not many other teams sell out either as Chernobyl only holds about 11,000 doesn’t it ? 

sags taking things out of context as usual to suit their own vivid imagination. The Loftus Cheek Man City comment was a sag phoning in to Radio Bristol after Saturday's game. I'd get your facts right.

Where did I take anything out of context? I didn't say it so what's the point, there's plenty of football fans from all clubs who are uneducated on things other than their club. 

I know you didn't say it but you used it anyway to try and put over your point and despite my putting you straight, you are still labouring the point.

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

In the main your fans act like your a big club is what I meant. 

There maybe the odd gem found in non league but you have to have a semi decent scouting network to find them and as you have volunteer coaches I can’t  see that you would  put much money into it. 

Mcgeedy was regarded as a bad apple by many Preston fans and mainly came off the bench for Sunderland . 

In regards to fan base % to population , your average attendance is poor and you can’t use the excuse that not many other teams sell out either as Chernobyl only holds about 11,000 doesn’t it ? 

Doesn't the new South West tent add another 250 cave dwellers? It would've been 270 if they included the missing Row M they were selling season tickets for ???

5 hours ago, bodin said:

No

Good grief.....another verbose and boring post.....why do you bother? 

• Like 2