IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Is that their new firm, TCC.

The Camel Crunchers.

That's the mob from the Lamb I think. They're a decent lot actually and welcomed me in there a while ago with a lively chorus of 'Sheed 'ed, sheed ed'! I bowed, quickly drank my pint and got the **** out of there! :gasmask:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ciderup said:

That's the mob from the Lamb I think. They're a decent lot actually and welcomed me in there a while ago with a lively chorus of 'Sheed 'ed, sheed ed'! I bowed, quickly drank my pint and got the **** out of there! :gasmask:

And that was just the two on the far left...............:shifty:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Banjo Island, Midsomer Norton? Lamb in Paulton? I had the lamb, clandown for 12 years and don't recognise anyone

1 hour ago, ciderup said:

As a 16 year old playing for an Adults Sunday League side I'd never heard of 'Banjo Island' or that it's a Gas area (Park Estate isn't it?) so when I walked into the Lamb pub after the match...the team we were playing...wearing a City shirt I got one or two dodgy looks. :blink::blink::blink:

I thought it was because I'd scored our winner....but I don't think it was...

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

35 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I lived on Banjo Island for a short while as did Ian Holloway (just to clarify I didn't live with him, he's not my type!)

I grew up in Oldland which is a stone's throw from Banjo Island. 

As as a kid I played for Longwell Green. Hollohead used to train us on a Wednesday night in the tennis courts at the back of the community centre. To be fair he was an alright bloke, but we were shit. 

10 hours ago, kmpowell said:

I grew up in Oldland which is a stone's throw from Banjo Island. 

As as a kid I played for Longwell Green. Hollohead used to train us on a Wednesday night in the tennis courts at the back of the community centre. To be fair he was an alright bloke, but we were shit. 

I played for Longwell Green but we had a decent team at my age group. Always were the best of the rest with Warmley, Avon Athletic and later Whitchurch taking Avon's place as being the dominate top two. 

Back to sell out Rovers. Why now?

Why did Higgs and co sell just before the Sainsbury's outcome?

Were the others advised/forced to go along with the sale?

How much did they get, close to their value?

Did they fear the outcome?

Has the loan been repaid or any other debts? Presumably directors have written theirs off in the share sale/value.

Has Al-Qadi gambled on winning the Sainsbury fight?

If lost, will he bail out?

If they win, will he bail out?

Will he/the family, bankroll the club without the new stadium? Already stated it's crucial to their business future.

Too many questions, and the media are still quoting them as having had a massive cash injection, (ITV news tonight). The only outlay is on shares purchased.

Looks like a gamble on both parts. The last time Higgs sold shares, it was Cowlin's shares. They had risen sharply in value after they were awarded the memorial ground redevelopment contract. He subsequently sold his shares for £11m to Balfour Beatty, presumably on the strength of that, and then later cancelled the contract in favour of the UWE plan. I bet Al- Qadi would crap himself with that knowledge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Back to sell out Rovers. Why now?

Why did Higgs and co sell just before the Sainsbury's outcome?

Were the others advised/forced to go along with the sale?

How much did they get, close to their value?

Did they fear the outcome?

Has the loan been repaid or any other debts? Presumably directors have written theirs off in the share sale/value.

Has Al-Qadi gambled on winning the Sainsbury fight?

If lost, will he bail out?

If they win, will he bail out?

Will he/the family, bankroll the club without the new stadium? Already stated it's crucial to their business future.

Too many questions, and the media are still quoting them as having had a massive cash injection, (ITV news tonight). The only outlay is on shares purchased.

Looks like a gamble on both parts. The last time Higgs sold shares, it was Cowlin's shares. They had risen sharply in value after they were awarded the memorial ground redevelopment contract. He subsequently sold his shares for £11m to Balfour Beatty, presumably on the strength of that, and then later cancelled the contract in favour of the UWE plan. I bet Al- Qadi would crap himself with that knowledge.

We must hope Mr Al-Qadi doesn't discover the same problems as Balfour Beatty did after their acquisitions ...

"Balfour Beatty also made a string of other acquisitions in the pre-recession years, including Bristol-based Cowlin in 2007, Dean & Dyball in 2008, and Birse in 2006.

But on 29 April, Balfour Beatty told the Stock Exchange it had uncovered problems with a number of contracts, including delays, subcontractor failings, and changes to forecast commercial outcome. At the time, it also said there were more problems in the south than the north.

Speaking to CM, Seymour said: “My feeling is the businesses they acquired were basically left to their own devices, in a difficult market. They were out there bidding unprofitably, and that’s where the problems [with contracts] were. Predominantly I think the issues were in the new acquisitions."

(From construction-manager.co.uk, the magazine of the chartered institute of building, 14th June 2013)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Is Banjo Island an island?

Used to live in Oldland Westcourt Drive estate. Had to cross the old brook then walk to the Island to get the bus to work. Not pretty. A bus traffic island shaped Like a banjo with 2 shops a chippy, chemist and the Lamb. Wasn't ever fun waiting for the 6:55am 45 bus to town. :(

Banjo Island sounds like one of those places where if you drive through at any hour of the day or night you can play the "spot the dressing gown" game as there will always be somebody going to the shops wearing one because getting dressed is so much effort.

Edited by Eddie Hitler
Dire spllellingz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cotham Brow Red said:

Used to live in Oldland Westcourt Drive estate. Had to cross the old brook then walk to the Island to get the bus to work. Not pretty. A bus traffic island shaped Like a banjo with 2 shops a chippy, chemist and the Lamb. Wasn't ever fun waiting for the 6:55am 45 bus to town. :(

What was the video shop called? (I'm going back a bit)

2 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

I feel like this thread has gone off from it's purpose, bashing the camel punchers.

I wonder if tonight's the big night that they sell out the minimal for about the 3rd time in 20 years??

Peeing down with rain, 500 mile round trip for the away fans, 3 defeats in the last 4, plus the fact you actually have to watch Roverzzzzzzz.

6500, tops.