IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Attendances boasting : who really gives a shit?

If they were above us, with their customary low home attendance, I'd still be furious.

Fortunately,  I doubt that will happen in my lifetime.  

I have a feeling Wally Al-Qadi is going to turn into be a poison chalice for them. Frying pan into fire? Higgsy was at least a genuine supporter.

• Like 2

On 05/03/2016 at 22:30, Smaller than a flea said:

I don't think there's much doubt that Rovers attract away attendances on a par with City.  The question is why their home crowds are so much lower.

Clearly being in the Championship City attract more fans.  Rovers average about 7,000 recently.  City about 15,000, but constrained by the rebuild.  I would guess if the ground was complete, and for sake of fairness, City were doing pretty well in the Championship, there would be about 22,000 there. 

If Rovers are in League 1 next season, the crowd would increase to about 8,500 - 9,000, and if (bear with me) they get to the Championship, maybe 11,000, or nearly a sell-out every week at the Mem.  I base my opinion on recent attendances, not those from decades ago.

If the UWE actually gets built (and there's no evidence yet that it will), I would expect Rovers in the Championship to up their crowds from my 11,000 projection to 18,000 or so, which is modest compared with how Brighton did.

There is a gap, but place both teams in the same league with modern stadiums and it's not much.

Not sure about 'constraints of the rebuild...IF we stay up and are a bottem third Championship side again,one year from now it will be interesting to see how the home average compares..I don't believe you will see more than a few hundred difference,especially without intelligent ticket pricing/marketing from the club.

10 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

Well, that isn't true, although it was a very low crowd. The context of that though, was that football really was in the doldrums at that time- I seem to remember City even slipping as 'low' as 6000. Shite crowd as it was, it wasn't unusual for the time, and when the game was played , I seem to remember it not being 100% that we were leaving.

11v11 site has it at 3,576 , and the HTV report seems to think it's certain. But I agree it was a different time and attitude , the middle class and Sky hadn't taken over yet. 

Am I undecided if it is better or worse now? Well , yes and no .

20 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

About eight times I believe including away followings of 2,200+ on more than one occasion, 2,500+ , 3,300+ and 5,200+ - but you still believe you are a hugely supported club and your  self-branded 'invasion' of Notts Co was a little embarrassing to be honest.....

Mind you the Sagheads usually take six digits to each game. I think it's called "inbreeding".

10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Attendances boasting : who really gives a shit?

If they were above us, with their customary low home attendance, I'd still be furious.

Fortunately,  I doubt that will happen in my lifetime.  

I have a feeling Wally Al-Qadi is going to turn into be a poison chalice for them. Frying pan into fire? Higgsy was at least a genuine supporter.

That was the point of my poll that got absorbed here.

16 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Good point my Pompey supporting closet Gas idiot friend, even after a derby defeat against rivals who can actually compete in the same division as us we mustn't forget about the funny little club up the road...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The good thing is that you don't bite. This thread is a GIFT.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Weezord said:

The good thing is that you don't bite. This thread is a GIFT.

Considering the amount of laughs we've got out of you, have you considered ditching the captain pugwash nonsense and adopting a clown as your mascot instead?

In fact; maybe we should suggest that to your new zillionaire owner.  Being he's essentially your answer to Vincent Tan (only poorer) then I imagine if he saw a quick buck in it, he'd switch things up.

• Like 1

I don't doubt at all that should they ever manage to build a new ground, their crowds will increase significantly, and they will finally average a 5 figure home gate, even though it is 40 years since they last managed this. You have to go back to 1960 to find them averaging 15k, where we are at right now. Only 12 times in their history have they exceeded our average this year, constrained as it is by redevelopment. But plenty of clubs have improved there support with a new ground and success. Few hold on to it though without maintaining the success on the pitch.

Look at the three grounds they have begged, borrowed and stolen, the grounds they called "home" over the years - shockingly poor sh1t tips. If/when they move into a shiny new place they will be besides themselves, and there will be a hike in attendances, at least initially, like happens anywhere, like we will probably see if we stay up.

We might as well ready ourselves for their home attendances being less of a source of embarrasment to them, and a go-to for us to make cheap jibes. But by how much, and for how long, that is open to question. For as long as we are successful, it is reasonable to think we will be better supported. 

What I find interesting is their expectations - these seem to be soaring already. Unmet expectations can be pretty corrosive amongst elements of any support, we know about this. Rovers expectations were modest when they were in Bath, and they exceeded them. These expectations have been kept in check while residing at the antiquated Memorial Ground, and they failed to live up to them in 2014. But they will be sky high at first in a new ground. 

If the gap between those raised expectations and the reality before them is too big, or takes too long to realise, what happens to that new support? What happens to the existing support? For how long would more than 10k watch L1 football?

If Rovers are banking on being a Championship club at some point, what will it take to sustain that? Will 15-18k crowds be enough when from the year after next this league will be even more financially uneven and challenging for clubs coming up from L1? 

Much of the same applies to us of course, but with a 27000 ground and a 15k average now, already, we have the basics for survival in this league in place. What we want now is the nous, at boardroom level. Get enough of that, and we'll be okay. I reckon.

Regardless of how wealthy Rovers new owner is, regardless of their ability to get 15k plus crowds, without that nous, Rovers will be lucky to enjoy much more than coming up from L1 and going straight back down from this league. And it remains to be seen how much stomach there is amongst the blue few for that bitter reality, once the newness of it all wears off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Considering the amount of laughs we've got out of you, have you considered ditching the captain pugwash nonsense and adopting a clown as your mascot instead?

In fact; maybe we should suggest that to your new zillionaire owner.  Being he's essentially your answer to Vincent Tan (only poorer) then I imagine if he saw a quick buck in it, he'd switch things up.

It's less Captain Pugwash, and more Bonnie Langford, done up as principal boy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

11v11 site has it at 3,576 , and the HTV report seems to think it's certain. But I agree it was a different time and attitude , the middle class and Sky hadn't taken over yet. 

Am I undecided if it is better or worse now? Well , yes and no .

Your original post said less than 3,000, and I knew it was 3000+ ! So , yeah I was being slightly pedantic :) 

I too am undecided if things are better or worse now!

On 3/6/2016 at 23:22, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Why would anyone "admit" something that's clearly incorrect? If they consistently take double the number of fans to away matches that would be far superior...if they regularly take a few more fans to away matches that would be superior.

They do neither.

I have highlighted the relevant offal ....:gasmask::gasmask:

On 3/6/2016 at 23:22, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

orgasmic
Reserve Team

orgasmic Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 373 posts
yesterday at 12:19pm
Post Options

Post by orgasmic on yesterday at 12:19pm

During the dark days of the Official Forum when the Kevin Spencer ban caused a meltdown and split between the fans there were multiple posts from fans who vowed not to go until the ban was lifted. These people also cited hundreds of other fans who refused to attend until Higgs and the then BoD had left the club. Now that both of those things have happened can we expect to see their return? Am interested to get the views on anyone that has stayed away and has subsequently attended on how they feel the dynamics of a match day have changed.

dinsdale
Reserve Team

dinsdale Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 116 posts
yesterday at 12:41pm via mobile Jon the Stripe, Henbury Gas and 4 more like this.
Post Options

Post by dinsdale on yesterday at 12:41pm

Ive seen a few people i know talking about returning on twitter. They way they put it is they feel they have their club back and it has reawakened their interest. 

I didn't boycott but games feel different already. Less anger and more excitement.

oldie
Reserve Team

oldie Avatar

Year you started supporting the Gas?: 1963

Posting Level

Next Level in 9 posts
yesterday at 12:47pm orgasmic likes this.
Post Options

Post by oldie on yesterday at 12:47pm

dinsdale Avatar
Ive seen a few people i know talking about returning on twitter. They way they put it is they feel they have their club back and it has reawakened their interest. 

I didn't boycott but games feel different already. Less anger and more excitement.

Ditto

orgasmic
Reserve Team

orgasmic Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 373 posts
yesterday at 1:01pm
Post Options

Post by orgasmic on yesterday at 1:01pm

dinsdale Avatar

Time for the club to market to these fans then; will be good to add numbers to the excitement. Especially before a new stadium gets built...a snowball effect is what is required.

chippenhamgas
Reserve Team

chippenhamgas Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 230 posts
yesterday at 1:03pm via mobile
Post Options

Post by chippenhamgas on yesterday at 1:03pm

Hopefully we'll start to market season tickets properly now, need to target 5000 for next season.

Staffordshire Gas
First Team

Staffordshire Gas Avatar

Year you started supporting the Gas?: 1956

Posting Level

Next Level in 270 posts
yesterday at 1:06pm
Post Options

Post by Staffordshire Gas on yesterday at 1:06pm

OTIB admits our away support is superior to theirs but slags off our home attendances so let's make tuesday a bumper crowd.Wombles will bring a lot more than Hartlepool and yesterday's performance was a bit special.Sure Monty will start-he showed a lot of flair and skill in tight spaces yesterday.Six points this week will really get the juices flowing.8,000 I reckon and 9000 Sat if we win Tuesday.
Thought our rehearsed corner routine which produced the second goal was impressive at Nott's County .Weirdest corner routine was at Mansfield when their players went into an impromptu group hug and whilst we are wondering what that was all about in the middle of a game,they took the corner.Distraction technique!!
  • Like 1

Ahh, I see what you mean BilB, to be honest mate I don't know what ******* planet some if them live on. I don't think anyone has said their away support is superior to ours...only our pet Slagheads Weezord and 'seventeen'

I know some that think that because Leeds are former League title winners and Forest won the European Cup 30 years ago then that should automatically mean that we should take tens of thousands to these grounds. They forget that going to grounds like Elland Road, Hillsborough, City Ground etc has become relatively normal for us over the last 10 years. It's not like we only play these teams once every few decades like they do.

Anyway, they want a 'bumper' crowd of 8000 tomorrow....that's a bit shit considering Wimbledon are former FA Cup winners?

• Like 2

Understand they are having another raffle to find a new shirt sponsor.

Clearly the billionaire was unable to use any of his extensive middle east business associates to outbid some local pub.

Fingers crossed some company more embarrassing that a local pub will win the grand prize this year.

You have to wonder if Wally is going to actually invest at some point.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Understand they are having another raffle to find a new shirt sponsor.

Clearly the billionaire was unable to use any of his extensive middle east business associates to outbid some local pub.

Fingers crossed some company more embarrassing that a local pub will win the grand prize this year.

You have to wonder if Wally is going to actually invest at some point.

Why would the sixth richest man in the universe not want to invite the local green grocers, publicans, hardware stores etc dip their hands into their relatively tiny pockets?!!

Pathetic if true and if I were a gashhead I'd be worrying about things like this. Much easier and cheaper ways of connecting with the community. Especially when you're so rich!!!

17 minutes ago, lenred said:

Why would the sixth richest man in the universe not want to invite the local green grocers, publicans, hardware stores etc dip their hands into their relatively tiny pockets?!!

Pathetic if true and if I were a gashhead I'd be worrying about things like this. Much easier and cheaper ways of connecting with the community. Especially when you're so rich!!!

If I were them I'd be more than a little concerned. Has he revealed his stadium plan yet? Recruitment policy? Academy funding and development plan or anything else with any substance?

You would assume that all of these things helped him come up with a value he placed on the basement boys, so it's surprising he hasn't gone public with his vision.

Unless of course, he isn't actually a billionaire and buying Rovers was the cheaper alternative to paying for a monthly Sky Sports subscription.