IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Apparently times don't seem to change over the years.

Am always looking up items in old newspapers for my genealogy project and came across this.

Extract from Daily Mirror 19th October 1945

Section Sports Mirror Page 4

''Local boys make good angle appears to Bristol Rovers. Unwilling to enter soaring transfer mart, Rovers set themselves to comb home-town junior leagues.

Result-six new pros: Vic Lambden, Randall Watkin, George Petherbridge, Ronald Davis, Arthur Hobbs Roy Jennings......

Old Uncle Tom Cobley an' all ''

Even in 1945 poor old Rovers were in for it.

1 hour ago, KernowRed said:

Apparently times don't seem to change over the years.

Am always looking up items in old newspapers for my genealogy project and came across this.

Extract from Daily Mirror 19th October 1945

Section Sports Mirror Page 4

''Local boys make good angle appears to Bristol Rovers. Unwilling to enter soaring transfer mart, Rovers set themselves to comb home-town junior leagues.

Result-six new pros: Vic Lambden, Randall Watkin, George Petherbridge, Ronald Davis, Arthur Hobbs Roy Jennings......

Old Uncle Tom Cobley an' all ''

Even in 1945 poor old Rovers were in for it.

To be fair, George Petherbridge was some player for them according to much older Gas fans - played around 500 games for them as a winger. Scored in 16 consecutive seasons - there's a road named after him in Eastville....

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair, George Petherbridge was some player for them according to much older Gas fans - played around 500 games for them as a winger. Scored in 16 consecutive seasons - there's a road named after him in Eastville....

There's also a road joining their former and current stadia, named after the total dominance which they've had to suffer over the years from their City rivals. Mullered Road.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Vic Lambden was no mug either. Just checked Wiki 117 goals in 269 appearances including a 9 minute hat trick.

43 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Vic Lambden was no mug either. Just checked Wiki 117 goals in 269 appearances including a 9 minute hat trick.

Were they a league club at the time? 

It's hard to know, with their history. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

See in the local rag that their chairman reckons they will have a deal in place by January which is the point that planning expires.

I'm sure a few weeks back he was saying that August was the deadline.

He changes position of policy more often than Trump.

They'll be calling for fans to turn up with spades and pick axes the day before planning permission expires, to be followed up the next day in the Post;

"exclusive photos as work begins on new UWE stadium" 

xxx.jpeg

40 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Afraid it was a purple patch for the gas in the 10 years Vic played for them. 8 seasons they finished above us 2 of them in a higher league!!! So maybe not a mug.

And of course during this period we were fortunate to have the services of the second greatest manager in Rovers history.

If only I'd had the massive resources which Darrell has at his disposal now I think we could have reached the top flight. 

Back in the fifties we never had a dynamic head of recruitment like Will Dubious nor a head of medical like the ever caring Dr Shipman. We starved the players before matches and when they did eat the food was prepared in a filthy grease encrusted kitchen. Leisure time was spent lounging on stained and ragged carpets and the gloom was hardly lifted by the grimy moth eaten curtains hanging precariously across the cobweb covered windows of our Eastville home. There was no state of the art training ground then so we practiced twice a week on the sh*t covered cinders next to the greyhound kennels. Sprinklers ?  you must be joking, the only time we saw water was when the River Frome flooded which started off the looting and forced Fred and I to stand guard over the trophy cabinet for days on end. They were hard times and more than once the Chairman had to sell his daughter on City Road to pay the wages on a Friday but at least the staff discounts were  generous.

Happy Days.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bert tann said:

And of course during this period we were fortunate to have the services of the second greatest manager in Rovers history.

If only I'd had the massive resources which Darrell has at his disposal now I think we could have reached the top flight. 

Back in the fifties we never had a dynamic head of recruitment like Will Dubious nor a head of medical like the ever caring Dr Shipman. We starved the players before matches and when they did eat the food was prepared in a filthy grease encrusted kitchen. Leisure time was spent lounging on stained and ragged carpets and the gloom was hardly lifted by the grimy moth eaten curtains hanging precariously across the cobweb covered windows of our Eastville home. There was no state of the art training ground then so we practiced twice a week on the sh*t covered cinders next to the greyhound kennels. Sprinklers ?  you must be joking, the only time we saw water was when the River Frome flooded which started off the looting and forced Fred and I to stand guard over the trophy cabinet for days on end. They were hard times and more than once the Chairman had to sell his daughter on City Road to pay the wages on a Friday but at least the staff discounts were  generous.

Happy Days.

You didn't need one with the "no buy no sell" policy in place. A lot of people felt that the gas were one "playmaker" type player away from getting into the first division at that time, but the board stuck to their guns (and their money) and the rest is history! 

6 hours ago, myol'man said:

They'll be calling for fans to turn up with spades and pick axes the day before planning permission expires, to be followed up the next day in the Post;

"exclusive photos as work begins on new UWE stadium" 

xxx.jpeg

To keep planning open they need to have layed all the footings

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9980/revenue-streams

Yeap.  A five a side knock about in the car park. That'll give them the financial clout to compete.

It's a bit like in Only Fools and Horses when Del was playing cards with Boycie, and Rodney offered to take the empties back!!

"Here you go Wael, here's the £4.37 from the Car Boot"

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone got a dad they don't like? Ooh Chocolate footballs!

C9yNdGbXsAI6bRm.jpg

Nothing says more about yr love for yr father than a carvery lunch! 

And entertainment by washing powder? At least the gags will be clean....:mf_sleep:

Edited by BanburyRed
  • Like 1

So the gas have friendlies against Yate and Melksham on the same day.

It becomes amusing when one of the blue few complains a non league team has a £7 million pound stadium and then another realises there's several non league teams with better grounds than the Mem.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9989/friendly-melksham

Then for a real laugh and delusion; http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9974/bournemouth

So many similarities not least of all the managers style. Together anything is possible.

I just realised something watching this, it doesn't matter how much money you have in football, it is about the togetherness and that is what DC is achieving with us, team spirit, two promotions in two seasons, top ten finish, players proud to wear the shirt, good attacking football, playing for each other, a young up and coming manager with bright ideas. A proud football club. That is something they don't have over the dark side of Bristol and that's why they are so obsessed with us, it strikes me that they are envious and jealous of what DC is doing hereSo we have to believe that we can do the same as Bournemouth, get behind the lads, even when it's not going right and we can succeed, pass them and be better than them. FTG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 22A said:

So the gas have friendlies against Yate and Melksham on the same day.

It becomes amusing when one of the blue few complains a non league team has a £7 million pound stadium and then another realises there's several non league teams with better grounds than the Mem.

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9989/friendly-melksham

Then for a real laugh and delusion; http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/9974/bournemouth

So many similarities not least of all the managers style. Together anything is possible.

I just realised something watching this, it doesn't matter how much money you have in football, it is about the togetherness and that is what DC is achieving with us, team spirit, two promotions in two seasons, top ten finish, players proud to wear the shirt, good attacking football, playing for each other, a young up and coming manager with bright ideas. A proud football club. That is something they don't have over the dark side of Bristol and that's why they are so obsessed with us, it strikes me that they are envious and jealous of what DC is doing hereSo we have to believe that we can do the same as Bournemouth, get behind the lads, even when it's not going right and we can succeed, pass them and be better than them. FTG

I can assure the swamp things that none of us are jealous of a dog fiddler or that tin pot club at all,

we're more jealous of forest green then we are of rovers

• Like 1