IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

Problem is this Wael/Whale/Wally chap seems to find a way to skirt around the real pressing questions. None of the local media or journos seem to ever actually put him on the spot and ask "where's the money? Where's the planning? Where will Eastville FC be in 2/3/4/5 years time?"

Until then he can get away with vague statements about future developments, fences and the like. The bloke is a shifty character, I wouldn't trust him in business and I sure as hell wouldn't trust him as a football club owner.

It's only his age that stops some seeing him as the spoilt little rich kid he is. He has no personal history of business success, he has been given a small amount of money by the family to see if he can make anything himself and it looks like they have decided it was wasted. I cannot see them throwing good money after bad to get a ROI, unless they he can find some other investment from outside "The Family" (Dwayne Sports), then the mem project will not go ahead. 

"The Family" will not invest anymore because there is no further collateral to secure that investment on, and he says himself, that's sensible business practice. 

29 minutes ago, wood_red said:

They question nothing, some still think he is going to sink his own cash into them. When he says "protecting an investment", they still don't question it. The mem has gone from not being an option to now being the only option, how has that suddenly changed to make them sustainable (will there be a feasibility study that takes 6 months coming up)? Where are the submitted plans for The Colony? A few seem to be starting to see what is really happening, but many are still as deluded as they were 18 months ago.

But isn't that what makes them 'the bestest, most loyal fans in the world?'

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 42nite said:

He (SL) could turn the Mem into a Village Green (with an enclosed area in a corner for the dog walkers,)  to last forever in the memory of those it was meant for.

That would be nice!

I always liked the Mem, till the Sags moved in.

Why would he want to enclose an area in the corner for Darrell Clarke...? 

Oh, dog WALKERS. Sorry, I misread your post..!

• Haha 6

28 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Problem is this Wael/Whale/Wally chap seems to find a way to skirt around the real pressing questions. None of the local media or journos seem to ever actually put him on the spot and ask "where's the money? Where's the planning? Where will Eastville FC be in 2/3/4/5 years time?"

Until then he can get away with vague statements about future developments, fences and the like. The bloke is a shifty character, I wouldn't trust him in business and I sure as hell wouldn't trust him as a football club owner.

Their own fans aren't asking those questions, more worryingly/amusingly. 

56 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

But isn't that what makes them 'the bestest, most loyal fans in the world?'

It makes them the most gullible ******* idiots in the World. Don't get me wrong, theres a few on Slagchat who are now finally asking questions and seem genuinely concerned. Bert Tann has been doing that for ages....and got called a "shithead" for doing so (their standard response to anyone who questions the running of their club :clap::blink:).

The ones showing concern and wanting answers as to why this project of 8 years has gone down the pan are being drowned out by the usual morons who just want to bury their heads in the sand.

So far, the vast majority of the fanbase have got exactly the ground they deserve. Some tents, a barn and a Cricket Pavilion for everyone else to laugh at. 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, rednotblue said:

It's time for Bristol Sport to do the right thing.

Buy the Blue Few and then close it down.

3 hours ago, Bianconeri said:

True, so Bristol Sport's plan is maybe to buy Dwayne Sports at a knock down when it is liquidated / goes into administration? 

Now, Bristol Sport can't own two league clubs so BRFC has to go, leaving ownership of the Memorial GROUND and a field near Almondsbury. I'd like to think that Bristol Sport knows what it would do with the stadium and the field is, well, a field. 

I doubt Dwayne sports would be up for sale. They would sell just BRFC, who currently are a team in L1, with staff, wages, players on contracts, loans owed to Dwayne, a few football kits, a trade marked pirate logo, some shop merchandise and maybe some training balls (i.e. all the liabilities). Dwayne are I imagine receiving interest payments, and own all the assets, Dwayne sports has zero exposure and will in all likelihood make a profit on things regardless. They would sell the Mem to get their money back for their loans, and keep the land at the colony (land on the outskirts of growing Cities is never a bad thing (especially when it costs so little)). Is this their preferred scenario, I imagine not, but if everything fails then they have protected themselves and will walk away no worse of than they started.

Wael had a chance of making his family a nice bit of money and have a football club for himself to keep him occupied. Now we get to see if they are truly committed to running the club as a loss making hobby or cut and run when they realise there is no easy profits in most football clubs. 

As for the people touting the things they have done. Rovers and Higgs got more and more desperate for cash flow in the final years, they let staff go, their ground run down as they could not afford maintenance they were running backroom as a non league team. Wael has brought them back up to L1 expectations, and started some basic maintenance at the ground (needed seeing this is there home for the forseeable future). But none of this is really costing much (and likely all done with borrowed money from DS anyway). Even people touting DC's 5 year contract as some sort of proof of commitment is non-sense, either side can terminate the contract. There is no costs to giving someone another five years, it's just word play.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens now, at least it will give us a few minutes entertainment before talking about real football related matters.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I doubt Dwayne sports would be up for sale. They would sell just BRFC, who currently are a team in L1, with staff, wages, players on contracts, loans owed to Dwayne, a few football kits, a trade marked pirate logo, some shop merchandise and maybe some training balls (i.e. all the liabilities). Dwayne are I imagine receiving interest payments, and own all the assets, Dwayne sports has zero exposure and will in all likelihood make a profit on things regardless. They would sell the Mem to get their money back for their loans, and keep the land at the colony (land on the outskirts of growing Cities is never a bad thing (especially when it costs so little)). Is this their preferred scenario, I imagine not, but if everything fails then they have protected themselves and will walk away no worse of than they started.

Wael had a chance of making his family a nice bit of money and have a football club for himself to keep him occupied. Now we get to see if they are truly committed to running the club as a loss making hobby or cut and run when they realise there is no easy profits in most football clubs. 

As for the people touting the things they have done. Rovers and Higgs got more and more desperate for cash flow in the final years, they let staff go, their ground run down as they could not afford maintenance they were running backroom as a non league team. Wael has brought them back up to L1 expectations, and started some basic maintenance at the ground (needed seeing this is there home for the forseeable future). But none of this is really costing much (and likely all done with borrowed money from DS anyway). Even people touting DC's 5 year contract as some sort of proof of commitment is non-sense, either side can terminate the contract. There is no costs to giving someone another five years, it's just word play.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens now, at least it will give us a few minutes entertainment before talking about real football related matters.

As I understand it "inter company loans" rarely if ever are subject to interest, the term loan is used instead of investment for some sort of tax advantage I believe? The charge on the Mem could see them selling it to recoup their money, but more importantly it puts them first in line as creditors if Bristol Rovers go under. That's why they own the club in that way, Dwayne Sports would still continue to trade and find other investments if the Rovers thing doesn't work out for them and the charge would seem them get some if not of their money back. 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

It makes them the most gullible ******* idiots in the World. Don't get me wrong, theres a few on Slagchat who are now finally asking questions and seem genuinely concerned. Bert Tann has been doing that for ages....and got called a "shithead" for doing so (their standard response to anyone who questions the running of their club :clap::blink:).

The ones showing concern and wanting answers as to why this project of 8 years has gone down the pan are being drowned out by the usual morons who just want to bury their heads in the sand.

So far, the vast majority of the fanbase have got exactly the ground they deserve. Some tents, a barn and a Cricket Pavilion for everyone else to laugh at. 

Bang on. I was having a trawl through their forum last night, for a laugh, and the amount of posters who simply respond "Ted" or even more hilarious "Ban" (for having an opinion?!) is remarkable.

If the worst (for them) does come to pass, 99% of the posters on that forum will have had it coming to them.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

As I understand it "inter company loans" rarely if ever are subject to interest, the term loan is used instead of investment for some sort of tax advantage I believe? The charge on the Mem could see them selling it to recoup their money, but more importantly it puts them first in line as creditors if Bristol Rovers go under. That's why they own the club in that way, Dwayne Sports would still continue to trade and find other investments if the Rovers thing doesn't work out for them and the charge would seem them get some if not of their money back. 

Depends on the situation, if you owned a few companies all of which you wanted to keep trading and be a success then inter company loans are a way of moving funds around and rarely charge interest as your in essence charging yourself, there is no benefit (or costs to charging the interest). If however it was a investment opportunity, and one of the companies you owned was created purely as a speculative project, then a inter company loan to that entity would surely be charged at interest. If you want to make money on the project then interest and notification of the details in the company minutes or accounts/loan deal would be made. The money can always be put back in if you want, but if your looking for return on investment then you would use every tool available to you, and not lose potential income because auditors / accountants view it as a interest free loan. If I was a investment banker putting up millions to a side project, I know I would cover myself just in case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Lost In Translation ...

image_update_bed1e619cdbdaeba_1361830527

Wael Al-Qadi: " It's a beautiful piece of land - spacious."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/wael-al-qadi-reveals-next-302485

"We always had a back up plan"  But apparently not an actual plan as they have to discuss it and plan it etc,

plan plan/

noun

1. a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.

2. an intention or decision about what one is going to do.

verb

1. decide on and make arrangements for in advance.

2. design or make a plan of (something to be made or built).

Not a plan then...... more a passing thought, in other words,  "if all else fails we could always tart this place up a bit".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

"We always had a back up plan"  But apparently not an actual plan as they have to discuss it and plan it etc,

plan plan/

noun

1. a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.

2. an intention or decision about what one is going to do.

verb

1. decide on and make arrangements for in advance.

2. design or make a plan of (something to be made or built).

Not a plan then...... more a passing thought, in other words,  "if all else fails we could always tart this place up a bit".  

Walls English is probably not perfect. Now if he adopted the word "cunning" it would make perfect sense !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wood_red said:

They question nothing, some still think he is going to sink his own cash into them. When he says "protecting an investment", they still don't question it. The mem has gone from not being an option to now being the only option, how has that suddenly changed to make them sustainable (will there be a feasibility study that takes 6 months coming up)? Where are the submitted plans for The Colony? A few seem to be starting to see what is really happening, but many are still as deluded as they were 18 months ago.

That's what I've thought. They say they've submitted plans for the training ground . If so it would be on the council website, available too view. They would be showing off on slagchat and social media but I've seen nothing. 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Didn't quite get my wording right, basically I agree 100%.

DS has assets in the ground and the field. Those assets back the funding they have in place to support BRFC's debts and ongoing losses. Eventually they will tire of this arrangement, or the debts will exceed the value of the assets, and want to liquidate the assets and cut the liabilities loose. BS may want one or more of the assets and that's a standard commercial transaction if they do.

The big issue BRFC faces is that they have very little equity left in the asset and they need to find a way to invest that in a way that gets an immediate return (i.e. reduces the debt or increases the value of the asset by more than they spent). then they have to keep doing that. Think of the £45m (round figures) spent on AG by BS, that has increased the value of the asset (AG) and the company that owns it (BS) by far more than £45m because it has both increased the intrinsic value of the stadium and has unlocked a number of new revenue streams (including increased support). The break even in pure cash terms is still some way off but that's not the overriding concern.

Without the support via the assets the liabilities will be insolvent (I think they are already in pure accounting terms but so are most football clubs). BS wouldn't want BRFC even if they were allowed to buy the company.

My view has been for a while that BRFC will end up back at Twerton Park and will end up merged with Bath City. As things stand Bath is the more solvent club so would do the taking over. If the FA permitted it I think they'd try to construct it so that BRFC consumed Bath and retained League status, in the short term at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

DS has assets in the ground and the field. Those assets back the funding they have in place to support BRFC's debts and ongoing losses. Eventually they will tire of this arrangement, or the debts will exceed the value of the assets, and want to liquidate the assets and cut the liabilities loose. BS may want one or more of the assets and that's a standard commercial transaction if they do.

The big issue BRFC faces is that they have very little equity left in the asset and they need to find a way to invest that in a way that gets an immediate return (i.e. reduces the debt or increases the value of the asset by more than they spent). then they have to keep doing that. Think of the £45m (round figures) spent on AG by BS, that has increased the value of the asset (AG) and the company that owns it (BS) by far more than £45m because it has both increased the intrinsic value of the stadium and has unlocked a number of new revenue streams (including increased support). The break even in pure cash terms is still some way off but that's not the overriding concern.

Without the support via the assets the liabilities will be insolvent (I think they are already in pure accounting terms but so are most football clubs). BS wouldn't want BRFC even if they were allowed to buy the company.

My view has been for a while that BRFC will end up back at Twerton Park and will end up merged with Bath City. As things stand Bath is the more solvent club so would do the taking over. If the FA permitted it I think they'd try to construct it so that BRFC consumed Bath and retained League status, in the short term at least.

But this would then make them a franchise, surely? :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

Agree to a point, but there is only value in Ashton Gate if someone wants to buy it as it is and to use it as it currently stands.

Would imagine the vast majority of the value is in the land it sits on.

Get Daily updates directly to your inbox
+ Subscribe

FOR SALE.

IT'S hardly in Roman Abramovich's league, but Bristol rovers ramshackle former ground could make some starry-eyed football fan's dream come true. 

The vacant 4.8-acre site based in horfield Bristol is due to go under the hammer at an auction in Easton later this month. 

Bidding is expected to start at around é750,000 but could rise to a cool é1million. 

The deal includes a run-down two-storey clubhouse complete with viewing balcony, two large tents changing rooms, function room with licensed lounge and dance floor, a floodlit, overgrown football pitch, an outdoor Christmas groto , a stand, ...and one turnstile! 

A fake sheak  as known by the club  fans owns the ground and it is currently on the market with Lets have a laugh estate agents Henbury gas Property Services. 

They say the deal offers "extensive potential subject to planning and building legislation". 

It is understood They have already turned down one offer for the ground from a local bisnesss man

Opportunity

good site to build a supper market ? Or a ruby ground

only joking or am I ? 

2 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

Get Daily updates directly to your inbox

+ Subscribe

FOR SALE.

IT'S hardly in Roman Abramovich's league, but Bristol rovers ramshackle former ground could make some starry-eyed football fan's dream come true. 

The vacant 4.8-acre site based in horfield Bristol is due to go under the hammer at an auction in Easton later this month. 

Bidding is expected to start at around é750,000 but could rise to a cool é1million. 

The deal includes a run-down two-storey clubhouse complete with viewing balcony, two large tents changing rooms, function room with licensed lounge and dance floor, a floodlit, overgrown football pitch, an outdoor Christmas groto , a stand, ...and one turnstile! 

A fake sheak  as known by the club  fans owns the ground and it is currently on the market with Lets have a laugh estate agents Henbury gas Property Services. 

They say the deal offers "extensive potential subject to planning and building legislation". 

It is understood They have already turned down one offer for the ground from a local bisnesss man

Opportunity

good site to build a supper market ? Or a ruby ground

only joking or am I ? 

I thought my spelling was bad :facepalm:

31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That's what I've thought. They say they've submitted plans for the training ground . If so it would be on the council website, available too view. They would be showing off on slagchat and social media but I've seen nothing. 

Is it only me that every time i hear the words colony I immediatly think lepers ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Agree to a point, but there is only value in Ashton Gate if someone wants to buy it as it is and to use it as it currently stands.

Would imagine the vast majority of the value is in the land it sits on.

There are many ways of assessing values of assets for company accounts. I've not looked at the BS accounts but my guess is that AG is valued somewhere between its utility value (i.e. as a venue for sports, conferences and the like) and an assessed open market value should a sports club or similar want to set up home there. Pick a number - £100m (no idea if this is even close).

There are all sorts of standards and things about 'fair value' but assessing this type of asset is an art not a science and it often borders on witchcraft in my opinion.

Got to keep accountants in work.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

They tried to rob us of our ground, they robbed Bristol rugby of their ground, I believe there was even an attempt to have Baths ground off of them.

Rich, I thought your post was well written with some great points made (phew I can hear you say!)

Before I go on any rant, are you referring as to how they got to own the ground in the 90s from Bristol Rugby Club or how and why BRC eventually left?

If it was the former, I admire their cheek and tenacity purely from a business perspective as to how their then board achieved the coup of the  century. The stupidity/greed of the Rugby board has to be questioned because of the mess they got themselves in.

In the film Dumb and Dumber, Jim Carrey asks a really beautiful millionairess if he has a chance of her becoming his girlfriend. She replied that he had a million to one chance. His response was "So I've got a chance then!" Rovers asked and got it all, courtesy of it being written down on paper!

Whatever we think of Rovers and that 90s business deal, they didn't learn from it. They should have. If they had, then we wouldn't have had the funniest laugh out loud moment in our history when we signed Matty Taylor....all because it was written down on paper and we asked! 

Let's see what else their new board has had written down on paper..........