IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

We've now had just about a whole generation for genuine Bristolian football fans (whatever you mean by that, most I know are either genuine City or genuine R*vers fans) to get used to having no real rivalry due to the chronic incompetence of Bristol R*vers.  

I think this is a bigger thing than some realise.

We're only played each other competitively eight times since 99/00.  Only four of those games were in the league, and the last occurance of that was April 2001.

So that is 15+ years since we were at the same level, and despite both teams best attempts last year, that'll likely extend to nearly 18 even if Rovers go up or we go down.

There obviously is no statute of limitations on a rivalry, but with us playing the likes of Cardiff on a far more regular basis (and those being league games too), I suspect you'll end up with a generation who think of Bristol derbies as more of a mythic thing than something real.

10 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

To be fair to Harleyhas this a fair post rather than a "cracker"? I sense a lot of genuine Gashead feel the same following the news the UWE was dead, the real danger is we become the Port Vale to your Stoke, I think most genuine Bristolian football fans would sooner a bit of rivalry than one totally dominant club like is now the case in the Potteries.

No, not at all. The dream of Bristolian football clubs being  on equal footings is a very one sided dream. 

Quite frankly, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we never played you in a league game ever again. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, miser said:

Stoke v Port Vale is an apt analogy - Burslem is one of the most backward places I've been to !

I believe we are heading more towards something like Bradford City v Bradford Park Avenue in the medium term. Longer term, the  shape of football will change anyway, though I'm sure the footballs will remain spherical.

Good point, my kid was born in Feb 2007, there have been two derbies in that time. The day after he was born and one when he was 6. He does not look upon Rovers as a rival, more a fictional beast that is chained up in Horefield and used to scare children and embellish old guys stories. I would imagine that rings true for the majority of city fans from 18 down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

You say that but your posting on a thread relating to Rovers so clearly you have some interest in the club, personally I feel Bristol would be a worse place, football wise, if we became another Stoke, there must be virtually no banter/rivalry between fans their as all Stoke fans probably have zero interest in a club light years away from them. I fear that could well happen in Bristol now unless Wael  soon starts pulling rabbits out of hats  

As it's been said plenty of times this thread is a PISS TAKE thread set up when you went into non league . I and loads of other City fans don't want you anywhere near us. On and especially off the pitch we're a million miles apart and that's how I like it. I've got gas mates and these last 16 years have been very enjoyable . 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

To be fair to Harleyhas this a fair post rather than a "cracker"? I sense a lot of genuine Gashead feel the same following the news the UWE was dead, the real danger is we become the Port Vale to your Stoke, I think most genuine Bristolian football fans would sooner a bit of rivalry than one totally dominant club like is now the case in the Potteries.

That's a bit like Man City hoping that Oldham will be up challenging them anytime soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, samo II said:

I think this is a bigger thing than some realise.

We're only played each other competitively eight times since 99/00.  Only four of those games were in the league, and the last occurance of that was April 2001.

So that is 15+ years since we were at the same level, and despite both teams best attempts last year, that'll likely extend to nearly 18 even if Rovers go up or we go down.

There obviously is no statute of limitations on a rivalry, but with us playing the likes of Cardiff on a far more regular basis (and those being league games too), I suspect you'll end up with a generation who think of Bristol derbies as more of a mythic thing than something real.

6130 days to be exact! On October 28th it will be 17 years since they blue few were higher in the league :gasmask:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

They also went bust in that year but the outbreak of WW2 and the cancellation of the football league saved them . 

This just about says it all doesn't it. Bristol Rovers saved by Adolf Hitler! 

11 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

You say that but your posting on a thread relating to Rovers so clearly you have some interest in the club,.......

Sorry pal, you could not be more wrong. I look at / post on this thread because I know that wherever I am in the world I am guaranteed comedy incompetence and delusion by your club and its followers interspersed with (usually) wry and insightful comment from us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

At the moment there's still rivalry, I bet there's not a thread this long about Port Vale on the Stoke forum!, if you ever get to the promised land and Wael doesn't deliver something at the Mem soon life could become a bit boring with neither teams fans interested in the other's results. 

As long as your board keep making monumental f****ups, and your fans keep spouting deluded drivel, things will never get boring!

13 hours ago, Gashead2017 said:

Ummmm....nah mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see Bristol football as more like Nottingham than Stoke. One underachieving Championship club, the other a League One/League Two yo-yo club

• Like 1

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the correct version appears to be :

"The rugby club were in serious financial difficulties so we agreed to a 50% share of the ground at at a cost of £2.3m. In 1998, Bristol's financial issues became worse and they wanted to sell to Amtrack, reputedly for £1m. That agreement fell through as Amtrack pulled out so we triggered a clause in the ground share agreement where we could buy the remaining 50% for £100,000."

Although I agree with the views we didn't learn from previous mistakes as I've no idea how we now owe £10m to a family of bankers from Jordanian who apart from the odd Rolex watch show no real signs of being wealthy. But at least the believers still think Wael will build us a new 22,000 seat stadium and a state of the art academy!! 

How much of that dosh went into Arthur Homes pocket, you know the lifelong gashead fronting up for the rugby club?

Quite telling the number of rugby fans who have no love for football are absolutely delighted at the state Rovers are in, and they were very close to the action at the time of the Holmes stitch up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I see Bristol football as more like Nottingham than Stoke. One underachieving Championship club, the other a League One/League Two yo-yo club

And the yo-yo club can lay claim to being the older of the two as well :) 

Edited by Port Said Red

39 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Yep

Nottingham YoYo club invited to open the Juventus stadium by the European super power who copy their famous kit.

Bristol yo yo club invited to play Sabadell who happen the wear the same kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why stop at 20000, plan big and aim for the stars !

Wael commented that the Mem site is exactly the same as that for Evertons 40,157 Goodison park.
which has a record attendance of over 78,000 !....imagine that on Filton avenue .
Goodison has housing right around the ground.

• Haha 1

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Just reading Leroy roseniors column in the post. He said city and rovers should of come together and built a super stadium. Can't agree with that at all . 

Makes lots of sense for the blue few and none whatsoever for us.  Rosenior never seems to understand Bristol football.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just reading Leroy roseniors column in the post. He said city and rovers should of come together and built a super stadium. Can't agree with that at all . 

3 things with that...

1 - Who'd fund it??

B - Where would they build it??

iii - **** Off Leroy.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

####sake, Leroy spouting his rubbish again!

We've got a perfectly "super" stadium, thanks Leroy!

We wouldn't want them and, despite the many benefits, they wouldn't want us. 

The bloke is a moron! Which is a shame, because I really liked him as a player. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Is he still bitter about Liam FFS?  What exactly would we benefit from? 

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Makes lots of sense for the blue few and none whatsoever for us.  Rosenior never seems to understand Bristol football.

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

3 things with that...

1 - Who'd fund it??

B - Where would they build it??

iii - **** Off Leroy.

Couldn't disagree with any of you're posts . 

The man is a idiot...Why would we have ever wanted to share with Ragass Rovers...What could have they ever offered us ? I suggest the uninformed Leroy looks back to 1982 for a start when they tried to get the ground by the back door

• Like 2

Just now, kevthered said:

The man is a idiot...Why would we have ever wanted to share with Ragass Rovers...What could have they ever offered us ? I suggest the uninformed Leroy looks back to 1982 for a start when they tried to get the ground by the back door

We could have got that striker of theirs. You know, the one that Leroy told us all was worth over £10million! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidercity said:

I think that is an understatement, have you heard his views on safe standing.

He's entitled to his views. 

It just so happens that just about everything he comments on is misinformed, small minded, politically correct tosh!