IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

When my son went to Huddersfield Uni, I had a sudden interest in rugby league as that uni sponsored Huddersfield and had their name on the shirts. I did wonder how much of my son's tuition fees were going to a professional sports club. I'm told the coaches would go to the uni and run PE sessions for the students. Warrington are currently sponsored by the University of Chester, so there are precedents for university's helping local professional sports clubs. That sponsorship money has to come from the university's own income.

I think that's the other side of the coin. In those instances the university is buying in services, in the hypothetical here UWE would be selling something, and then could they do that at an undervalue.

I suppose the parity would be in those instances if the payments from the university exceeded the value of the advertising received. Perhaps that's why part of the deal is the coaching.

But like you say, I'd be interested in where my money was going and how it was spent in those instances.

You'll see, we won't; we'll be concentrating on Championship football - you know; the thing you bunch of dirty, shameful cheats spectacularly failed to win with a bunch of loan players last season?

Enjoy your summer; pretty sure your season will be hell.

BYE

Trouble is, we may end up having to do the same ourselves.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:25pm Bamber Gasgroin said:

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:15pm gasheadnaboo said:

I'm taking this with a massive pinch of salt, as I don't really see how the uni would benefit from a 15,000 stadium? A 1,500 multi usage stadium with an athletics track I could believe.

Well, they are cash rich, and in a competitive market, so this wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Not cash rich, no.

gas2

UWE building their own stadium? Aug 1, 2015 at 5:38pm

Post by gas2 on Aug 1, 2015 at 5:38pm

Who owns u w e

Bristol sports .?

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3704/uwe-building-own-stadium#ixzz3hmZzpiNn

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:25pm Bamber Gasgroin said:

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:15pm gasheadnaboo said:

I'm taking this with a massive pinch of salt, as I don't really see how the uni would benefit from a 15,000 stadium? A 1,500 multi usage stadium with an athletics track I could believe.

Well, they are cash rich, and in a competitive market, so this wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Not cash rich, no.

gas2

UWE building their own stadium? Aug 1, 2015 at 5:38pm

Post by gas2 on Aug 1, 2015 at 5:38pm

Who owns u w e

Bristol sports .?

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/3704/uwe-building-own-stadium#ixzz3hmZzpiNn

UWE have always had this 'Plan B' up their sleeves

This bit from the evil post is intriguing: "Even if the club was to win on appeal, they would only be awarded damages instead of the multinational being forced to buy the Memorial Stadium." If this is the case; then regardless of the UWE's position, the project is dead in the water as of now.

I was led to believe by someone itk that UWE were gifting the land to the sags in exchange for stadium naming rights in perpetuity. The money from the memorial stadium is needed to finance the build.

• Like 1