IGNORED

24 (nearly) hours on

ohhhshauntaylor

24 hours on- reflections 

First of- just brilliant to be back, and in true city form, it’s like we had never left! 

The usual challenges still visible- Downsey on the Mic (the only advantage being the awful Tannoy) 

Ques for the bar etc, and the £5.30 pint charge. 

I felt the TC “tribute” was slightly rushed/awkward, and lacked the sort of professionalism it warranted. 

Hindsight is wonderful, but why couldn’t these ex players be paraded around the pitch, with the big screens detailing them, and giving them all a deserved reception. 

It felt rushed with as they gathered, suddenly the players were walking out (Thankfully not to 7 nation army). 

Pre this if course, the sound system played “Sweet Caroline”- having been fortunate enough to get to England vs Germany @ Wembley, I saw first hand how good of an atmosphere that song can create, but it felt a bit “lazy” for me for that to be played- surely after 18 months a Wurzels song would’ve got everyone singing along as well, and maybe got more people into the stands, from the concourse as it felt pretty empty in the stadium until 2.55. 

On the performance- albeit a low bar- that was better, and I think the more we play, the better we will look- it’s a project here, and a big one at that, so patience and realism is needed. 

All in all, it’s great to be back, and have something to moan about! 

COYR. 

Good assessment. It staggers me people can consider after game 1 discussions around how long do you give the manager.

It has been emphasised by him there was cliques in the changing room he needed to sort close season and confidence issues was obviously another issue last season.

Added to that Nigel has minimal budget to work with and before yesterday lots of fans saying mid table would be an achievement this season and that we have to accept it is maybe 2 to 3 seasons before should expect to be challenging again, the negativity around an improved performance and some decent effort put in astounds me in truth.

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

24 hours on- reflections 

First of- just brilliant to be back, and in true city form, it’s like we had never left! 

The usual challenges still visible- Downsey on the Mic (the only advantage being the awful Tannoy) 

Ques for the bar etc, and the £5.30 pint charge. 

I felt the TC “tribute” was slightly rushed/awkward, and lacked the sort of professionalism it warranted. 

Hindsight is wonderful, but why couldn’t these ex players be paraded around the pitch, with the big screens detailing them, and giving them all a deserved reception. 

It felt rushed with as they gathered, suddenly the players were walking out (Thankfully not to 7 nation army). 

Pre this if course, the sound system played “Sweet Caroline”- having been fortunate enough to get to England vs Germany @ Wembley, I saw first hand how good of an atmosphere that song can create, but it felt a bit “lazy” for me for that to be played- surely after 18 months a Wurzels song would’ve got everyone singing along as well, and maybe got more people into the stands, from the concourse as it felt pretty empty in the stadium until 2.55. 

On the performance- albeit a low bar- that was better, and I think the more we play, the better we will look- it’s a project here, and a big one at that, so patience and realism is needed. 

All in all, it’s great to be back, and have something to moan about! 

COYR. 

How did you know I misplaced my reading glasses.  In all seriousness though decent post, agree things look more robust I'll judge us November time I think when the transfer windows are closed and after we have had time to settle after what looks like might be a disruptive last few days. 

4 hours ago, Meh said:

Good assessment. It staggers me people can consider after game 1 discussions around how long do you give the manager.

Agreed. Looking around the division, apart from Luton's 3-0 v P'boro' draws and single goal victories were the norm showing the Championship is as competitive as ever.

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I hope I'm not going to have to listen to Sweet Caroline every game. Not only is it nothing to do with City but it's nowhere near being Neil Diamond's best song. Cracklin' Rose and I Am I Said to name but two are streets better. 

IMO opinion we don’t need these “in fashion” songs- like sweet Caroline, freed from desire, 7 nation army. 

One for the Bristol city 

drink up thy cider

I am the cider drinker 

are all fine, and will get the atmosphere going if played regularly from 2.50 onwards. 

@JerrySLO any feedback on song choices being used? 

24 hours on it still feels like a shit result, even though the levels of energy and commitment were much improved.

24 hours on it still feels like improved energy and commitment will be nowhere near enough for anything other than a relegation battle.

It's more quality, not effort, that will see us safe this season but Pearson's hands are tied unless there's some serious wheeling and dealing, in's and outs, that enable him to shake it all about. So bye bye anyone we can get money for. 

Yesterday's team screamed bottom 6 to me and 24 hours on it still does. 

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

24 hours on it still feels like a shit result, even though the levels of energy and commitment were much improved.

24 hours on it still feels like improved energy and commitment will be nowhere near enough for anything other than a relegation battle.

It's more quality, not effort, that will see us safe this season but Pearson's hands are tied unless there's some serious wheeling and dealing, in's and outs, that enable him to shake it all about. So bye bye anyone we can get money for. 

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread there were a lot of draws yesterday and today. Granted Blackpool weren’t the best opposition but the cliche that there’s no easy games at this level is justified and yesterday was a great example. Think it’s just a case of teams easing back into the flow of things, getting used to fans being back etc. We’ll be fine but will be good to see where we are after 6/7 games. I hope and think your worries about being bottom 6 will be unfounded but we shall see.  

It's a three year project for goodness sake. We've seen one game, which, if chances had been taken, could well have been over by half time.

Quite what some people expect is beyond me, given what we've been told, quite openly, by an experienced football manager. 

It's going to be very tough, ok?.

55 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

IMO opinion we don’t need these “in fashion” songs- like sweet Caroline, freed from desire, 7 nation army. 

One for the Bristol city 

drink up thy cider

I am the cider drinker 

are all fine, and will get the atmosphere going if played regularly from 2.50 onwards. 

@JerrySLO any feedback on song choices being used? 

I’m very happy hearing Unfinished Sympathy. Released in 1991, it’s hardly ‘in fashion’ and Massive Attack are longtime City fans. Robert del Naja’s dad used to (?) run the Noval Scotial pub.

37 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

It's a three year project for goodness sake. We've seen one game, which, if chances had been taken, could well have been over by half time.

Quite what some people expect is beyond me, given what we've been told, quite openly, by an experienced football manager. 

It's going to be very tough, ok?.

Well I wouldn't imagine the first year of the project is to get relegated and I'm afraid with this current team/squad that's a real possibility!

Agree with the TC tribute comments. It was rushed and chaotic. I suspect that the very changeable weather was partly responsible.

I would have liked them to have interviewed some of the old players from 2:45 onwards. Would have been more entertaining than young Kai from Withywood guessing whether the next shirt number is likely to be higher or lower than a 2.

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I hope I'm not going to have to listen to Sweet Caroline every game. Not only is it nothing to do with City but it's nowhere near being Neil Diamond's best song. Cracklin' Rose and I Am I Said to name but two are streets better. 

I don’t want to hear anything by him

12 hours ago, Gumpster1 said:

Agree with the TC tribute comments. It was rushed and chaotic. I suspect that the very changeable weather was partly responsible.

I would have liked them to have interviewed some of the old players from 2:45 onwards. Would have been more entertaining than young Kai from Withywood guessing whether the next shirt number is likely to be higher or lower than a 2.

Is there really any need for the higher or lower game, or actually, Downsey full stop? 

Playing Sweet Caroline is fairly typical of how our media dept (as this is a branch of) get things slightly wrong.

It’s obviously a lazy choice that indicates once again that they don’t quite ‘get’ the fan base. 

Any of the Wurzels songs mentioned above - especially DUTC would’ve been ideal. Playing Sweet Caroline just because it’s ‘in vogue’ is lazy and poorly thought through.

When Adam Baker - and in this instance Tim Shires - were around there didn’t tend to be small gaffes like this. Shows the value of having City fans within the media dept.

The club should copy what works elsewhere. This is what Sunderland do. Publish the playlist ahead of time which has variety and helps to build atmosphere. They even make it a Spotify playlist. Some songs synonymous with the club and some just to help build atmosphere. 

The last quarter of an hour of music before kickoff they’ve picked is a really good blend. Far better than seven nation army and Neil Diamond which is the sort of music MK Dons would pick. 

02260CF1-23DB-47FE-B2D0-F009479DA823.jpeg

17 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There were plenty singing along on Saturday. No idea why people get so wound up about a song being played tbh.

1 minute ago, Super said:

There were plenty singing along on Saturday. No idea why people get so wound up about a song being played tbh.

Because it’s about identity. Fans don’t want generic - they want music that’s intrinsically ‘ours’. Picking sweet Caroline is just lazy. It worked with England because it was a new idea for football and became the song of our run to the final.

Has no relevance to club football. Perhaps different if England had won. 

17 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Perfectly summed up. Much better performance but I’ll be very surprised if Blackpool don’t finish in the bottom five, possibly even bottom. (But that depends on finances elsewhere. Eg Derby.)

Archived