IGNORED

Negativity

DJI

“We” lost ALL the goodwill when we signed Simpson???

For some fans, yes…..but not all.  How many, no idea.  I know we lost one poster on here, fair play for them having the metaphoric “balls” to make a stand and leave OTIB / stop supporting City.  I think they may be back though under a different username, so maybe a bit hypocritical???

Until we see Simpson play a few games, we honestly don’t know if his legs are gone.  They didn’t look gone at Coventry or home to Forest last season, even if he wasn’t match-sharp.  Against Celtic he defended well.  I didn’t see the FGR game but he defended fine there according to most on OTIB who expressed a view, and Gary Owers on BBCRB.

Doubts will be there about what he can offer going forward.

He’s had a pre-season too.

Why write him off from a playing point of view?

On 14/08/2021 at 19:09, bris red said:

Im sorry but that is utter bullshit. Please tell me just out of interest why do Norwich continually and historically outperform us when geographically they are in a MUCH more isolated position in comparison to London than we are??

Let’s not be naive and say the reason Brentford have beaten us to the Prem is their location.. we have squandered  Millions and millions over the past few transfer windows on by and large absolute dross.. it has nothing to do with where Bristol is situated geographically - it’s an embarrassing excuse.

And not just dross but players with sh*** attitudes. Look at king and james different class to past incomings.

4 minutes ago, Street red said:

And not just dross but players with sh*** attitudes. Look at king and james different class to past incomings.

They are not the problem nor is their manager its the one who picked said managers. The players didnt bring themselves here.

Hopefully by going for a more exp manager this time it will bring better results cant see NP staying long though with an empty transfer purse...we are your dream Steve make it happen.

@DJI Absolutely doesn't represent the majority view, as the number of likes for your post shows.

There is already clear improvement in the two games so far over the second half of last season, you can see the commitment, application, and attitude of players being much better, you can see a style of play being progressed, albeit not entirely cohesive as yet. It will be a slow burn to get going, but all this over reactive, knee jerking, negative nonsense after two championship games (mostly by the usual suspects) is ridiculous and its where the "ignore topic" button comes in very handy.

They'll shut up once we are up and running.

We could use a win. That’s a given. However there were some very good signs. We gave away two late goals and  lost by the odd goal on Saturday. This is not panic stations or Pearson out time this is get behind the team time, any other response says more about the individual whining on here than Nigel Pearson or the team.  

As for the animus toward one individual ( a typical City issue) I have seen.  Please eff off you sad sack!

Its 2 games......Why are we acting like the blue few?

How often does the table after 5 or 6 games reflect the table on the last day? Look where we were after the first four games last season ? We all know how well that went, granted we did have an unusual injury crisis and maybe would have failed better.

Everyone has different thresholds. For me If we don't have a win in 5 then yes I will be concerned but I dont want to see performances like we did last season ever again. 

It's symbolic of the attitude of people nowadays. I want it NOW and if I don't get it I'm going to scream and scream and scream until I'm sick. 

You see it with parents and their kids all the time. 

I'm going to get me coat now before this becomes a dinosaur rant ?

On 14/08/2021 at 22:38, Moments of Pleasure said:

With respect, that's you trying to remember what it was like more than 40 years ago v AD's thoughts at the time. His programme notes from that time tell a different story to your recollections.

My dad, now in his 80's, had a few contacts at AG back then. He often tells the story that players didn't want to come to Bristol, not because it was a football backwater, but because the crowd was notorious for turning on its own when things weren't going well. 

13 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Its 2 games......Why are we acting like the blue few?

How often does the table after 5 or 6 games reflect the table on the last day? Look where we were after the first four games last season ? We all know how well that went, granted we did have an unusual injury crisis and maybe would have failed better.

Everyone has different thresholds. For me If we don't have a win in 5 then yes I will be concerned but I dont want to see performances like we did last season ever again. 

Bolton Wanderers were 18th in League 2 at Christmas last year then went on to win Automatic Promotion. 

It has been 2 games, 2 bloody games. We won our first 4 last season and were absolutely hopeless for the rest of the season. Rome wasn't built in a day, we need to be patient

On 15/08/2021 at 08:39, tin said:

Football, and sport in general, goes in cycles of varying degrees. IMO we’re near the bottom of a 10-year cycle right now, the peak of which was from 2014-2017. The question is whether we’re yet to reach the bottom or not? It’s far too early to tell, but I suspect it’ll be three from us, Derby, Forest, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Preston.

Staying up this season is success for us. You have to go through turbulent times like these to enjoy the success when it comes.

Peterborough? Hull? The latter have some kind of Transfer Embargo atm or in/out restrictions.

Reading have a variety of good players but a rather thin squad and if injuries hit could be in trouble...could face FFP charges too- then there's Blackburn, undoubted cutbacks this summer though I expect them to add a few loanees with Armstrong now sold- could Swansea slip into a relegation scrap? I'd say unlikely but if they sell key players between now and the end of August...

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Bolton Wanderers were 18th in League 2 at Christmas last year then went on to win Automatic Promotion. 

It has been 2 games, 2 bloody games. We won our first 4 last season and were absolutely hopeless for the rest of the season. Rome wasn't built in a day, we need to be patient

Exactly.

Get the traditional post-Christmas slump out of the way early in the season and you never know, we might even be half tidy in 2022!  ?

On 15/08/2021 at 10:53, BrizzleRed said:

The biggest problem I see is there are far too many people falling into the same trap as they did with LJ.  That point being, only looking at the results and taking no account of performances.

How many times did we hear ‘but we’re only xx points off the play off’ after another abject performance and ignoring the fact that the club were going in one direction only and chances of making the play off’s were nil.

Last season was a total car crash and never  in my 50+ years of following City have I seen such a largely disinterested and bordering on fraudulent bunch of players wearing a City shirt on the pitch at the same time, so keeping banging on about his record here last season is pointless.  Pep wouldn’t have got a tune oug of that lot.

This season is what really counts.  Yes, by all accounts the FGR game was poor, but even that we’d have won, without their 96th minute equaliser.  We are just 2 matches into the new League season and dropped 2 points in our opening match to a last minute goal and already there are people with the knives out. Unbelievable after the amount of slack given to LJ with some of the dross he dished up.

I thought we’d got away from the divided fanbase when LJ went  and there was such positivity about the potential appointment of NP.  

It seems that sadly, we now find ourselves with an LJ ‘marmite manager’ mk2.  This current version of marmite manager has a massive rebuild job he has to do, with very little funds available to actually carry this out.

Unfortunately, Nigel Pearson isn’t being judged on the the noticeable improvement improvement in performances he’s managed on the pitch, even with having to put a lot of trust in a number of young, inexperienced players.  In normal circumstances in the past, the fans would have united in support over a rocky period for the club.  

Maybe it’s a sign of the times that this time, the current manager appears to be getting judged more by a player he employs, rather than what he’s trying to do to overcome years of mismanagement at this club.

First 10 games plus early Cup run were quite good.

Thereafter, we played okay at times but only in one off or couple of matches, in fits and starts- the injury situation was catastrophic and will also have played a role in the freefall post mid March.

It's pretty thin gruel after the first 10 plus some Cup games tbh.

After the first 10 we're scraping the barrel somewhat but I quite enjoyed:

1. Cardiff away (result not performance).
  2. 2nd half v Watford at home.
  3. Blackburn at home
  4. Middlesbrough away
  5. Swansea away
  6. Birmingham away
  7. 1st half vs Luton at home.

That and the 2 FA Cup wins- oh yeah Preston at home also decent, but those aside...1st half hour v Huddersfield as well then we went into full bunker mode. Alright at Brentford even in defeat too?

Not a lot to show for 36 games plus several in the Cup!

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

My dad, now in his 80's, had a few contacts at AG back then. He often tells the story that players didn't want to come to Bristol, not because it was a football backwater, but because the crowd was notorious for turning on its own when things weren't going well. 

Thing is that goes on everywhere I've seen it I've read it. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Peterborough? Hull? The latter have some kind of Transfer Embargo atm or in/out restrictions.

Reading have a variety of good players but a rather thin squad and if injuries hit could be in trouble...could face FFP charges too- then there's Blackburn, undoubted cutbacks this summer though I expect them to add a few loanees with Armstrong now sold- could Swansea slip into a relegation scrap? I'd say unlikely but if they sell key players between now and the end of August...

Quite possibly, Pops. We’re two games in, let’s see where we are once we’ve played everyone in 21 games’ time. Anything above 16th and we’ll be doing pretty well in my book. Make a change before then and I think we’ll be odds-on to go down. All my opinion, of course. 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why? Would you rather live in and around London or Bristol?

Believe it or not most would rather live in London, we are biased here. Most foreign players will never have heard of Bristol but may have friends and family in London with so many foreign players playing for London clubs, as well as all the other attractions eg the nightlife. Bristol and the West Country in general is seen as a football backwater

Archived