IGNORED

Benjamin Mendy accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault

Unan

On 23/12/2021 at 10:09, Akira said:

If found guilty I'd love to see Man City sueing him for breach of contract, and him having to repay the millions they've given him, and some of this money given to the victims. 

He signed a 5 year contract in 2017, so presumably OOC in the Summer. The trial is now scheduled for Jul/Aug so highly unlikely to be a Man City player then. Any thoughts of Man City suing him though would presumably have to wait until the result of the trial. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

He signed a 5 year contract in 2017, so presumably OOC in the Summer. The trial is now scheduled for Jul/Aug so highly unlikely to be a Man City player then. Any thoughts of Man City suing him though would presumably have to wait until the result of the trial. 

But if convicted, perhaps they could sue for return of his pay from the time he was unavailable to play ( or even the date of the first offence)?

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Be surprised if they are paying him when he is on remand.

They were aware of the accusations in November 2020 and continued to play him rather than suspend him pending further investigations. Granted at the time the player could not be named for legal reasons in the media and people would have wondered why he wasn't playing.... Then again, match of the day, sky sports, bt sports etc have not questioned rafa benitez as to why a certain Everton player hasn't been selected all season and isn't even registered to play in the squad and even confirm who the suspended player is. 

8 minutes ago, The Batman said:

They were aware of the accusations in November 2020 and continued to play him rather than suspend him pending further investigations. Granted at the time the player could not be named for legal reasons in the media and people would have wondered why he wasn't playing.... Then again, match of the day, sky sports, bt sports etc have not questioned rafa benitez as to why a certain Everton player hasn't been selected all season and isn't even registered to play in the squad and even confirm who the suspended player is. 

Yeah, that's a joke and as I've said before meant that a fellow player (Delph) was also named and shamed on social media of the issue in question at the time.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yeah, that's a joke and as I've said before meant that a fellow player (Delph) was also named and shamed on social media of the issue in question at the time.

I'm going super injunction because there's more to it than meets the eye. Maybe they've uncovered some large scale crimes and it was more than just one footballer and one child. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

I'm going super injunction because there's more to it than meets the eye. Maybe they've uncovered some large scale crimes and it was more than just one footballer and one child. 

Genuine question, are super injunctions still a thing? 

I remember when they were all the rage with celebrities and ex footballers using them, Ryan Giggs being one of them, but since then, don't really hear about them much anymore, so presumed there was a change in the law or something. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

It wasn't him though, it was another player at the same club, Delph was incorrectly assumed to be the person. 

May sound daft with the amount of evidence but I would assume Man City could be on a sticky wicket until he is actually found guilty and charged. As improbable as it seems but if he was cleared of all charges then he could go after the club 

11 hours ago, phantom said:

It wasn't him though, it was another player at the same club, Delph was incorrectly assumed to be the person. 

May sound daft with the amount of evidence but I would assume Man City could be on a sticky wicket until he is actually found guilty and charged. As improbable as it seems but if he was cleared of all charges then he could go after the club 

That's what @Numero Unois saying though. The club made an announcement that a 31 year old first team player was suspended and there were only two 31 year olds at the club at the time. One of them Delph.

Course it wasn't him because he's played this season but it meant that he was being targeted as a possible player at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TomF said:

Probably because they can’t sack him unless he’s actually convicted of something.  What they might do after that is sue him for his wages if he is.  I seem to remember a Chelsea player facing similar? 

That’s a lot of wages. He hasn’t played for a long time. Trial over in a month or so, so won’t be long

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Probably because they can’t sack him unless he’s actually convicted of something.  What they might do after that is sue him for his wages if he is.  I seem to remember a Chelsea player facing similar? 

Only time ive heard of that was mutu the romanian player, is that who you were thinking of?

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Edit: was Mutu https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2010/jun/14/adrian-mutu-chelsea

Sacked at so many clubs he’s been too

21 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Without getting drawn into this case or any specific ones, the conviction rate for rape is an absolutely grotesque injustice and I thank God every day that I don't have a daughter who could be subjected to what many victims of this awful crime face in the search for justice. 

The burden of proof would have to be lowered imo but obviously that opens up scan of worms in terms of people being wrongly convicted. Clearly the balance ain’t right but it’s not a straightforward one to solve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CyderHead92 said:

if he was genuinely guilty I believe he would have been convicted.

Why?  There are over 60,000 rape offences recorded every year which produce around 2,000 convictions. Do you believe that 58,000 people that are found not guilty are all innocent?  I am assuming so from what you are written but I am hoping not as it’s pretty clear that many rapists go unpunished 

8 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

Knowing the conviction rate I'm not sure it does say a lot. But again, I'm not in a position to offer any great insight into the trial or evidence or incidents listed so won't cast aspersions either way. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why?  There are over 60,000 rape offences recorded every year which produce around 2,000 convictions. Do you believe that 58,000 people that are found not guilty are all innocent?  I am assuming so from what you are written but I am hoping not as it’s pretty clear that many rapists go unpunished 

I’ve followed this pretty closely. The defence team have certainly earned their money. A not guilty verdict was almost a certainty from a lot of things that have come to light during the trail and what you need to keep in mind is that a jury of random people have come to the conclusion that there is not enough evidence to prove him guilty beyond reasonable doubt 

6 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I’ve followed this pretty closely. The defence team have certainly earned their money. A not guilty verdict was almost a certainty from a lot of things that have come to light during the trail and what you need to keep in mind is that a jury of random people have come to the conclusion that there is not enough evidence to prove him guilty beyond reasonable doubt 

Yes that has happened but my point is that I absolutely disagree with the statement “if he was guilty he would have been convicted”.  That is clearly not true 

• Like 1