IGNORED

Benjamin Mendy accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault

Unan

6 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Wasnt he just found not guilty? Or have I missed something?

That only counts if you want to bother to take that into consideration.  I'm sure if anyone accused @Andy082005 or anyone he knows of rape, then he would happily not bother with any trial, and just ask to go straight to jail and do a few years because he would obviously be guilty of the crime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

That only counts if you want to bother to take that into consideration.  I'm sure if anyone accused @Andy082005 or anyone he knows of rape, then he would happily not bother with any trial, and just ask to go straight to jail and do a few years because he would obviously be guilty of the crime.

There is a huge difference between ‘Not Guilty’…..and ‘innocent’

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

There is a huge difference between ‘Not Guilty’…..and ‘innocent’

Ah right, you know he was guilty as an actual fact?

If you were accused of rape and got a not guilty in court (maybe because you never did it), would you be happy for everyone to think you were guilty and then to never work again (or even someone come and say 'snap' you), lose your livelihood and maybe never work again? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Ah right, you know he was guilty as an actual fact?

If you were accused of rape and got a not guilty in court (maybe because you never did it), would you be happy for everyone to think you were guilty and then to never work again (or even someone come and say 'snap' you), lose your livelihood and maybe never work again? 

16 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Take it you were there then?

Guys - I suggest you go and look into the stats surrounding these sort of cases. Rape cases can be so hard to prove - even with strong evidence . As long as there is doubt it’s likely to swing towards not guilty .

People have it in their heads that ‘rape’ is something that happens when a woman is attacked or in an unconscious state. 

It’s no wonder women don’t want to step forward 

Up to you guys if you want to think this piece of shit is innocent. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

Clearly a bloke with a questionable lifestyle, but each to their own on the legal aspects.

Don’t really know the ins and outs of what he was accused of and what the girls actually said, but ultimately he’s been found not guilty. Let him go to France and be their problem now.

Appreciate that very few accusations turn into convictions, and not guilty doesn’t mean innocent. It’s also probably worth considering that most rape allegations are one word vs another - done in private with no witnesses, that’s why it’s so rarely convicted. I’m not sure there’s a way to increase conviction rate in a 1 v 1 scenario without drastically lowering the burden of proof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Guys - I suggest you go and look into the stats surrounding these sort of cases. Rape cases can be so hard to prove - even with strong evidence . As long as there is doubt it’s likely to swing towards not guilty .

People have it in their heads that ‘rape’ is something that happens when a woman is attacked or in an unconscious state. 

It’s no wonder women don’t want to step forward 

Up to you guys if you want to think this piece of shit is innocent. 

I know the stats, it's a crime that is ridiculously hard to prove, that doesn't mean every accusation and accused is guilty.

Where have people got in their heads that rape happens when a woman is unconscious? That is the first time I have ever heard that, but you know what we are all thinking? What a bizarre statement.

The trouble here is because it hard to prove you have actually made your mind up he is DEFINITELY guilty.

My point was if anyone accused you of rape, would you be happy for everyone to label you a rapist and think you are guilty, and maybe give you a hiding in the street because they think so, like you want him to be 'snapped'? 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Clearly a bloke with a questionable lifestyle, but each to their own on the legal aspects.

Don’t really know the ins and outs of what he was accused of and what the girls actually said, but ultimately he’s been found not guilty. Let him go to France and be their problem now.

Appreciate that very few accusations turn into convictions, and not guilty doesn’t mean innocent. It’s also probably worth considering that most rape allegations are one word vs another - done in private with no witnesses, that’s why it’s so rarely convicted. I’m not sure there’s a way to increase conviction rate in a 1 v 1 scenario without drastically lowering the burden of proof.

Exactly what you say on many rape cases. My only jury service was a rape case and on the evidence presented by the only two people present there was no way a guilty verdict could be achieved. Took six men and six ladies a little under 2 hours to decide.

The comments on this thread I completely expected one way or the other after the verdict. 

Brushing over that and also brushing over the fact there are people on this forum that have been way to close to a case like this and with that in mind!

CAN THIS THREAD BE MOVED TO ONE OF THE NON FOOTBALL FORUMS?

I would ask if it can’t be, can one of the moderators explain sensibly why not!?

26 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Just for context really going on what's happened in my own on going. 

The police did an Achieve Best Evidence interview which lasted an hour and a half

They took forensics of which there was lots 

They then have done something like 9.5 hours of video evidence interviews over 2 days which is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do  as it concentrated on forensicly covering the alleged incident in fine detail 

There has then been around 40 submissions plus 20 different incidents and 6 different crime investigations.

There is also likely phone and social media and other evidence yet to be collected 

There's separate civil action in challenge to a non molestation order.

The case 7 months on has still not reached a charging decision 

It might not get to court, if it does it might not be convicted.

In the last 7 months I've overdosed once, been stopped from overdosing once and was cartered away by the police last night because I was likely to do the same again.

I can't get counselling around the specific incident until the police investigation or the case has gone to court. So have to live with that damaging trauma without treatment 

The events have caused me life long changes  but there remains the possibility this may not ever get to trial .

It doesn't mean it didn't happen or that the perpetrator is innocent.

It means that due to the way court is set up there may not be the chance of conviction beyond reasonable doubt 

Hopefully that gives some indication of how that works.

I’m really sorry about this and can only imagine how awful this has been. I hope things move more quickly and you are able to move on from this. 

On 20/07/2023 at 13:52, Tafkarmlf said:

Thanks lovely.

It's utterly horrible

If things are chargeable won't be in court til next year more than likely where I'll have to go through it all over again 

It's something many people aren't aware of when discussing sv cases  so I brought it up to show what kinda things were involved just to get a little way in to things.

Trauma on trauma. No wonder many don’t/can’t face pursuing it. 

On 19/07/2023 at 19:24, MarcusX said:

You have to overhaul the legal system very much the same way the Swedish did ages ago.  Rape is complex, hard to prove and difficult and time consuming in the courts.

If people think the outcome is unfair then they should direct their annoyance at the legal system and process. 

In Mendy's case some of the accusations were quite spurious.  At the end of the day the guy has lost a reputation, some freedom, an international career and over a year of his life being out on hold.  And has been found inocent of all counts 20 or so.  I figure he should be free to crack on with his life.

• Like 1