IGNORED

Phil Brown sacked again

Abraham Romanovich

44 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Browns cv is better than Johnson who moved the best midfielder in the championship to full back to accommodate his boy in that final which they deserved to win unfortunately.

They were unlucky at AG that season too -  McCombe worldie as I recall.

Our form fell off a cliff at the end of that season when his boy got injured. If he had been able to play his boy in most of the last 10/12 games we probably wouldn't have had to make that change as we'd have gone up automatically. Also who should have gone to right back once Orr had to off instead of Marv?

Hull also had a stroke of luck at their place earlier in the season with mccallister being sent off for two yellows for two fouls with a fair number of equal challenges by hull players going completely unpunished. We probably would have got more than a point there. I also thought we were faurly good value for the win at home to hull, it was two fairly decent teams going at it.

But other than that I completely agree.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Back in management, at the foot of the National League with Kidderminster Harriers - his career trajectory has troughed irreparably 

On the other hand, good to see him still going. I’m sure he has enough money to put his feet up. May well have lots to offer at that level. 

13 minutes ago, hollydog said:

On the other hand, good to see him still going. I’m sure he has enough money to put his feet up. May well have lots to offer at that level. 

Absolutely

I have met Phil on a number of occasions going back , and a nicer , down to earth , friendly bloke , and more football mad bloke ,you couldn’t hope to meet.

Just loves the game 

Surprised his managerial career hasn’t gone better 

29 minutes ago, kit said:

Our form fell off a cliff at the end of that season when his boy got injured. If he had been able to play his boy in most of the last 10/12 games we probably wouldn't have had to make that change as we'd have gone up automatically. Also who should have gone to right back once Orr had to off instead of Marv?

Hull also had a stroke of luck at their place earlier in the season with mccallister being sent off for two yellows for two fouls with a fair number of equal challenges by hull players going completely unpunished. We probably would have got more than a point there. I also thought we were faurly good value for the win at home to hull, it was two fairly decent teams going at it.

City had central defender Tamás Vaskó on the bench. He could have come on to play in the middle with Fontaine switching to full back. This would have meant two defensive changes but it would have kept Elliot in the middle 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

City had central defender Tamás Vaskó on the bench. He could have come on to play in the middle with Fontaine switching to full back. This would have meant two defensive changes but it would have kept Elliot in the middle 

Maybe but that would mean left footed fontaine at right back or switching left footed mcallister to right back which would put limitations at both full back positions. Both also putting vasko at cb who was not the best player.

Whilst clearly an alternative option and possibly could be argued it might have been better, it was certainly not an obviously better choice than putting marv in there and bringing lj on.

Johnson was dealt a shitty hand by circumstance on the day and did about as well as could have been expected with the changes.

We were already a goal down when the change was made reagardless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/10/2021 at 17:31, Robbored said:

How busy was their ‘keeper - how many shots did he save? None is the answer.

One wonders sometimes why you say the things you do. And with such conviction.

I was there too. Far from our best performance, but the desire was there, the industry was there. We did more than Hull in that game and probably deserved to win it.

City's shots on target:

Adebola 5

Noble 50

McIndoe 56

Trundle 73

McIndoe 74

Byfield 90

Adebola 95

Trundle 85

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, kit said:

Louis Carey to right back Vasko on at centre back.

We see things differently fair enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneCity said:

One wonders sometimes why you say the things you do. And with such conviction.

I was there too. Far from our best performance, but the desire was there, the industry was there. We did more than Hull in that game and probably deserved to win it.

City's shots on target:

Adebola 5

Noble 50

McIndoe 56

Trundle 73

McIndoe 74

Byfield 90

Adebola 95

Trundle 85

Don’t feed the idiot troll One ,

Hes come out with the same s***e numerous times , like he does with all his attention seeking s***e , and has been shown to be talking s***e each time

Not only an embarrassing troll but incredibly clueless about absolutely anything City related

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Browns cv is better than Johnson who moved the best midfielder in the championship to full back to accommodate his boy in that final which they deserved to win unfortunately.

… while an international central defender (Vasko) sat on the bench and an experienced right back (Carey) remained at centre half.  That decision, along with the medical staff’s ineptitude in failing to sport the severity of Brad’s injury, cost us a place in the Premier League.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Back in management, at the foot of the National League with Kidderminster Harriers - his career trajectory has troughed irreparably 

Odd how that both managers on that day in 2008 soon slid down the managerial slope. Brown now in the conference and GJ……where are Torquay?………..……:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Odd how that both managers on that day in 2008 soon slid down the managerial slope. Brown now in the conference and GJ……where are Torquay?………..……:dunno:

That was 16 years ago, so hardly recent.

Your mate managed to get another club to the Championship after us, probably the greatest achievement of any club reaching that level in many, many years.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That was 16 years ago, so hardly recent.

Your mate managed to get another club to the Championship after us, probably the greatest achievement of any club reaching that level in many, many years.

No, not recent but odd that both managers on that day have descended down to non league. 

6 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Johnson who moved the best midfielder in the championship to full back to accommodate his boy in that final which they deserved to win unfortunately.

well said and bang on the money..... I loved Gary Johnson and he gave me some of my greatest moments following city for the last 35 years, but that decision on the day was unforgivable and disgraceful... total nepotism. From the moment LJ came on the game was lost and as you say, Marv was completely wasted back there. We had much better defenders on the bench and if there was no family connection they would have come on to replace Orr, but Daddy had to somehow get his son on the pitch that day.... the rest is history. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Natchfever said:

There's no doubt Elliott moving to right back massively affected us but I think your characterisation of the decision is a maliciously unfair one. 

First off, stating the obvious, if GJ was that obsessed with playing "his boy", he could have put him in from the start. 

Secondly, Elliott was our best midfielder but arguably the best right back option after Orr. He'd played right back in an FA Cup Final four years earlier so it wasn't exactly an unprecedented move for him.

Thirdly, it's easy to criticise a sub in hindsight but we've no idea of knowing whether Vasko - who'd not been playing regularly - coming on would have won us the game or not. We could easily be sitting here saying "Vasko was a disaster - why didn't he move Elliott to move right back?"

FWIW, I think moving Elliott to right back was the wrong decision and that Johnson and Carle was a poor midfield combination. I actually think two changes were needed once Orr was injured - Vasko on with Carey to centre-back and Johnson on for Trundle to give us an extra body in midfield to better screen the defence that was weakened by Orr's depature.

But I think the change GJ made was one of three or four legitimate options, none of which were perfect. In the context of the options available, I think that claiming it was purely an act of nepotism feels like sour grapes and spite rather than a reasonable analysis.

• Like 6

On 10/10/2021 at 17:24, GrahamC said:

That final was as close as any game can be, we actually started it the better side & missed a couple of half chances.

Losing McCombe the night before & then Orr in the first half was rotten luck, though as completely obsessed as people have since become over LJ coming on as result, our real issue in it was the inability of Trundle (who was very poor on the day), Adebola or Byfield (on as a sub) to score.

I don’t actually think Brown is any better a manager than GJ was at the time, he just had the breaks on that particular day.

Adebola had an unreal chance to put us 1-0 up in the early minutes.

Had a horrible feeling of what was about to come from that second onwards.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

There's no doubt Elliott moving to right back massively affected us but I think your characterisation of the decision is a maliciously unfair one. 

First off, stating the obvious, if GJ was that obsessed with playing "his boy", he could have put him in from the start. 

Secondly, Elliott was our best midfielder but arguably the best right back option after Orr. He'd played right back in an FA Cup Final four years earlier so it wasn't exactly an unprecedented move for him.

Thirdly, it's easy to criticise a sub in hindsight but we've no idea of knowing whether Vasko - who'd not been playing regularly - coming on would have won us the game or not. We could easily be sitting here saying "Vasko was a disaster - why didn't he move Elliott to move right back?"

FWIW, I think moving Elliott to right back was the wrong decision and that Johnson and Carle was a poor midfield combination. I actually think two changes were needed once Orr was injured - Vasko on with Carey to centre-back and Johnson on for Trundle to give us an extra body in midfield to better screen the defence that was weakened by Orr's depature.

But I think the change GJ made was one of three or four legitimate options, none of which were perfect. In the context of the options available, I think that claiming it was purely an act of nepotism feels like sour grapes and spite rather than a reasonable analysis.

We disagree fair dos and I respect your point of view .

Fact is, Johnson juniors career was almost all under his dad and I think he was very very lucky to have had the career forged for him

Ancient history !

• Flames 1

9 hours ago, Natchfever said:

We disagree fair dos and I respect your point of view .

Fact is, Johnson juniors career was almost all under his dad and I think he was very very lucky to have had the career forged for him

Ancient history !

That’s as maybe but ,as much as I love my sons , I wouldn’t let either of them throw a professional project in jeopardy and I am sure Daddy Johnson was the same. 
I don’t buy the ‘ nepotism ‘ pitch one little bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That’s as maybe but ,as much as I love my sons , I wouldn’t let either of them throw a professional project in jeopardy and I am sure Daddy Johnson was the same. 
I don’t buy the ‘ nepotism ‘ pitch one little bit. 

Massive coincidence playing wherever his dad coached then right from acadamies.

Ferguson and Pearson looked after their boys too but never in a one off game of such magnitude.

Agree to disagree and plenty of people in each camp..

On 12/01/2024 at 15:35, Robbored said:

No, not recent but odd that both managers on that day have descended down to non league. 

Since 2008, Johnson Senior won promotions with Yeovil (to the championship no less - where are they now?), Cheltenham, and Torquay. Johnson achieved much more than Brown since that play off final. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:46, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Tanning salons in the Southend populous are in mourning at his departure

Funny, but not true Ronnie as  most of the tanning salons in Southend had already gone bust when Steve Jones (formerly of this parish) moved on from Southend to The Chair boys. 😬

• Like 1