IGNORED

Match Report: Fans turn on team after usual Hawthorns surrender

Olé

4 hours ago, Pezo said:

Are parachute payments making more of a gap than ever before, 

Well at times we've barely been able to lay a glove on the likes Watford, Norwich  Bournemouth, WBA and Fulham so it certainly feels that way.

It doesn't help that we sit there watching this in the full knowledge that we've currently got the most expensive set of players in our entire history who - as a team - are pretty mediocre, in fact borderline dysfunctional.

This is compounded by the vivid recent memories we have of a team built on League 1 players who stuck it to Man Utd and made Man City sing for their supper. 

The million dollar question is do we have the time to find a better mix of players, a potentially lengthy process, or do we go for the shortcut and change the bloke in charge of them? 

We have Barnsley, Birmingham, Coventry and Blackburn up next. Unless we get back on track against that lot, even Pearson's staunchest supporters might begin to wonder about the answer to that million dollar question. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well at times we've barely been able to lay a glove on the likes Watford, Norwich  Bournemouth, WBA and Fulham so it certainly feels that way.

It doesn't help that we sit there watching this in the full knowledge that we've currently got the most expensive set of players in our entire history who - as a team - are pretty mediocre, in fact borderline dysfunctional.

This is compounded by the vivid recent memories we have of a team built on League 1 players who stuck it to Man Utd and made Man City sing for their supper. 

The million dollar question is do we have the time to find a better mix of players, a potentially lengthy process, or do we go for the shortcut and change the bloke in charge of them? 

We have Barnsley, Birmingham, Coventry and Blackburn up next. Unless we get back on track against that lot, even Pearson's staunchest supporters might begin to wonder about the answer to that million dollar question. 

Yes it's quite a dilemma, the clear problem is we don't have enough good enough players.

If we're thinking of sacking the manager the conclusion we need to have come to is that this isn't ever going to work, the next question is who to replace him with, for me I can see this working but not this or next season, I don't like it but I can see it.

As the known problem is the players and we can't just sack them all what else can we do other than bide our time and hope not to get relegated. A different manager might get a short term bounce but that's far from guaranteed with this group of players.

For those that want to see us win every week and watch entertaining football, I just can't see anything other than "come back in 2 years and see how we're doing".

• Like 2

Just don’t think a chance of manager will help.

Confidence is key, but we all know from experience of this lot that they are so brittle confidence-wise that any improvement triggered by the arrival of a new manager will be a blip and they will just revert back to type. 

What Big Nige says about this squad is spot on. A smaller size required with quality not quantity, not constantly sending young players out on loans, massive improvements in physical and mental strength needed etc. 

The thought of a new manager having to ‘learn’ about our players weaknesses all over again, with the likes of CoD being given his 150th chance, fills me with dread.

No, I’m a stick, even though some of Nige’s decisions have both surprised and disappointed me. In for the long haul, but it could be a relegation I fear before any bounce back. Depressingly bad. 

Parachute Payments.

Undoubtedly an issue that needs fixing but not solely the issue either. See strong performances- albeit to date- by Coventry, Luton, Millwall and QPR this season relative to resources, Blackburn have sold their top scorer and so far are in the hunt for the top 6. I also forgot Blackpool, looking very useful but early days.

Albeit the top 3 look quite well set thusfar.

Sheffield United should become strong and Huddersfield well they struggled significantly in the last 2 seasons, third and final year of them this season. 

Barnsley making the playoffs, Brentford winning them last season are indicators of hope though.

Bournemouth and West Brom depth wise actually looked a bit thin. Maybe they've rectified with loans but are one or both overperforming a bit?

Just wondering how their situation looks if they get 5-6 injuries ranging from medium to long term, you know like we often get. Fulham clearly though have the squad best equipped to cope in that scenario.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I'm glad the atmosphere is toxic because I can see pearson firing that gun.. Coaching staff leaving which to me is well over due. Staff from the Johnson Ashton Holden era need to be gone Kalas Palmer Dasilva wiemann Martin o'dowda etc etc these players need to be sold on, People might say what you on about but theyve produced nothing for this football club on a consistent basis and bottling it playing against West brom because they are better team.. Look at the players faces body language getting off the coach did that look like players up for the game.They dont deserve a rating from that yesterday .. Put that red shirt on and give them a game!! Backing needs to given to Pearson because we won't be going to the promise land anytime soon!!! 

Edited by Street red

Just on Parachute Payments as well.

Not entirely sure when they came in but was complaining last season that Cardiff had either PL or Parachute cash between 2013/14 and 2020/21. 8 seasons. 

Two clubs say hold my beer. Although Wiki says they first were introduced in 2006/07 which can't be right.

West Brom

1st PL season 2002/03. This is therefore at minimum, well thy were much lower prior to 2006 but from 2002/03 to present, that's 20 successive seasons that they have been in receipt of some kinda PL or Parachute cash.

Fulham

Went up in 2000/01. Stayed in the PL 1st time around for 13 years. 13? Unlucky for some but not for Fulham, as this is season 21 and counting. They were relegated probably when Parachute Payments were rising in 2014.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Teams with smaller budgets are capable at times of doing well against the biggest in this division. Coventry beat Fulham 4-1. Some of our fans seemed delighted with a 1-1 draw where they should have scored about 3 or 4 times at the end, missing absolute sitters.

WBA shouldn't be THAT much better than us. Stoke and Swansea have beaten them this season.

Peterborough, Derby, Preston and Millwall have all got draws agains WBA this season.

A number of others don't seem to have been thrashed by them, only losing by one goal and WBA didnt seem to manage to create anywhere near as many chances against those sides.

I don't know but it could well be that was the easiest or 2nd easiest game WBA have had all season, as they did also thrash Sheffield United. They should have scored a few more than they did yesterday though.

So I don't agree when people say we can't compete with these sides. Others can so we should at least be able to make it difficult for them, even if we do lose.

Thought second half was a lot better, but doesn't really matter by that point. And that's only comparing us to our own awful performance 1st half. We were still 2nd best 2nd half.

No excuses. Disappointing that our CEO gave the players a real-made excuse this week about WBA and the likes. just shows how weak the mentality of our squad is in my opinion. 

Fed up of reading opposition fans saying we’re the worst team they’ve played all season, particularly galling when they say we have no plan or identity… didn’t come to attack or defend…just offered nothing. That’s brutal and worrying in equal measure.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No excuses. Disappointing that our CEO gave the players a real-made excuse this week about WBA and the likes. just shows how weak the mentality of our squad is in my opinion. 

Fed up of reading opposition fans saying we’re the worst team they’ve played all season, particularly galling when they say we have no plan or identity… didn’t come to attack or defend…just offered nothing. That’s brutal and worrying in equal measure.

I think things have only really gone south this season since the return from 2nd international break.

I had a bit of cautious optimism after the Peterborough win as the way I saw it was an okay start and now 2 weeks to get the squad refreshed and into very good shape.

To really minimise injuries and get those fitness levels through a mix of work and rest right up.

We've had ups and downs, clearly the home record issue predating it before then but the last 3, perhaps the 1st half at home v Nottingham Forest aside haven't been good to say the least.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What strikes me is how many of the players in that side are currently playing in the Championship - Flint, Joe Bryan, Korey, Marlon, Patterson, Bobby - you could make an argument for each and every one of them walking into our side right now, four years later.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pezo said:

We have been completely overwhelmed by both Bournemouth and West brom sides putting in 3rd gear performances within a week of each other with Fulham looking considerably better than us and us only looking competitive through maximum effort.

Are parachute payments making more of a gap than ever before, are they now a guarantee of finishing in the top 6 rather than a very big helping hand?

Our record season by season over the four games v the eventual top two automatically promoted clubs in points and goal difference:

15/16: 6 points, -3 gd

16/17: 4 points, -2

17/18: 4 points, -1

18/19: 7 points, +1

19/20: 0 (nil) points, -9

20/21: 1 point, -10

So, started ok, got better, peaked, fell off a cliff.

And our record over the same period over the six games v the three relegated parachute-payment minted clubs:

15/16: 2 points, -10 gd

16/17: 5 points, -2

17/18: 11 points, +2

18/19: 12 points, +5

19/20: 10 points, +3

20/21: 1 point, -12.

So, started meekly,  improved quickly, peaked, still good, fell off a cliff.

Conclusion: it's not about them, it's all about us.

Edited by Moments of Pleasure

33 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Our record season by season over the four games v the eventual top two automatically promoted clubs in points and goal difference:

15/16: 6 points, -3 gd

16/17: 4 points, -2

17/18: 4 points, -1

18/19: 7 points, +1

19/20: 0 (nil) points, -9

20/21: 1 point, -10

So, started ok, got better, peaked, fell off a cliff.

And our record over the same period over the six games v the three relegated parachute-payment minted clubs:

15/16: 2 points, -10 gd

16/17: 5 points, -2

17/18: 11 points, +2

18/19: 12 points, +5

19/20: 10 points, +3

20/21: 1 point, -12.

So, started meekly,  improved quickly, peaked, still good, fell off a cliff.

Conclusion: it's not about them, it's all about us.

Does that highlight when we "went for it" and we all thought that it was natural progression?