IGNORED

win or out.

Hampshire reds

11 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

For me super nige has to get a win on sat. another defeat and for me changes will be needed. only my opinion. the usual ones who dont have an opinion will be giving me stick for this post. It will be 18 games which is not good enough. believe it or not i want him to be good for city but so far it is not good enough. Or have i missed something 

How about win and you clear off and we won't have to read your anti Pearson poison anymore.

• Like 4

For me super nige has to get a win on sat. another defeat and for me changes will be needed. only my opinion. the usual ones who dont have an opinion will be giving me stick for this post. It will be 18 games which is not good enough. believe it or not i want him to be good for city but so far it is not good enough. Or have i missed something 

Personally I think Pearson knows exactly what he’s doing. He wanted a project and he’s getting on with the job in hand. Although our home record is poor it’s been going on for a long time now, way before Pearson arrived.  A couple of wins and the atmosphere will change, 

• Like 1

He is going nowhere whatever happens, poor performance is excused and excepted at this point for the hope that a better future is around the corner.

Owner and fans have gone all in with a coach with some history of success at this level and a perceived no nonsense pragmatic approach.

At virtually any other professional football club based purely on coaching, performances and results he would have been sacked by now BUT credit where credit is due it looks like we are sticking with him and looking to give him the tools to do a long term rebuilding job, probably increasing in pace from the Summer (FFP etc).

As poor as things are at the moment we have no option but to trust that there is a plan and we have the people in place to carry it out.

Some decent attacking football in the meantime would be nice though please, might as well have a go at winning 4-3 than what we are doing currently.

Fair play. You were bored and looking for nibs and now you have 3 pages. Mission accomplished!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That won’t be his personal target but he is attempting to navigate a boat whilst bailing out at the same time .

Staying afloat would be a decent achievement.

Just out of interest IF johnson or holden kept us up by 1 point this season would that be seen as a decent achievement? I am not Pearson out yet because i do appreciate what hand he has been dealt. I do think he gets a fairly easy ride considering his average record at best. If a non big name manager came into this situation i can’t see people being as patient. Threads like this will divide opinion obviously but i guess the answer is somewhere in the middle

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

If you've read Rich's and DaveFevs posts on Page 1 and let that sink in then you might understand why some fans might see it as an achievement to scrape safety this season (especially after last year).  Doesn't mean people are happy with it, but they may see that as an 'achievement' to secure Championship status for another year given our predicament.

It is ridiculous to want Pearson sacked if we lose on Saturday. It is ridiculous to regard scraping safety as an achievement. Can we please move to the middle ground a bit. It’s quite a big space to fit in everyone’s rational opinions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Give it a rest. You really don't understand how difficult it is to redress the massive damage done in the last five years by the "Unmentionables".

One point above the bottom three at the end of season will be a magnificent achievement by Pearson, coaches, medical staff, playing staff and supporters.

Wow

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Give it a rest. You really don't understand how difficult it is to redress the massive damage done in the last five years by the "Unmentionables".

One point above the bottom three at the end of season will be a magnificent achievement by Pearson, coaches, medical staff, playing staff and supporters.

Not this.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Agree it is too early to sack him even if we lose the next couple. But when January starts approaching we need to see some improvement.

Jeez………..it’s almost unbelievable that some posters are thinking about sacking Nige…….…..:disapointed2se:All I can say to that is that I’m delighted that they’re not the majority share holder.

Its 3 year project ffs……..There are bound to be ups and downs particularly this season and recent results show that City are experiencing a down just now but that will change, hopefully tomorrow.

Remember (and I’m repeating myself here) that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Patience is the key.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I think we can reasonably have higher expectations of NP than that. If that is his personal target then we really are in trouble.

I agree with you that we should have higher expectations than my example. But in some ways, it doesn't matter if we finish 12th, 17th, or 21st. The simple aim for this season is to not be relegated. Staying in the Championship is absolutely essential.

As for how we stay up, home wins will be essential.  And to help this task, we need another striker who will convert enough chances to help get those wins. We, SL, has enough money to buy any player on the planet. It's how we comply with FFP that will be the bit of financial genius to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree with you that we should have higher expectations than my example. But in some ways, it doesn't matter if we finish 12th, 17th, or 21st. The simple aim for this season is to not be relegated. Staying in the Championship is absolutely essential.

As for how we stay up, home wins will be essential.  And to help this task, we need another striker who will convert enough chances to help get those wins. We, SL, has enough money to buy any player on the planet. It's how we comply with FFP that will be the bit of financial genius to do it.

Interesting CA and correct.

Here's a question, would you sell one of our more saleable assets, say HNM, if it meant we could get another striker and still comply with FFP?

Not having a dig, just curious as that's what it may take IMHO.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

He is going nowhere whatever happens, poor performance is excused and excepted at this point for the hope that a better future is around the corner.

Owner and fans have gone all in with a coach with some history of success at this level and a perceived no nonsense pragmatic approach.

At virtually any other professional football club based purely on coaching, performances and results he would have been sacked by now BUT credit where credit is due it looks like we are sticking with him and looking to give him the tools to do a long term rebuilding job, probably increasing in pace from the Summer (FFP etc).

As poor as things are at the moment we have no option but to trust that there is a plan and we have the people in place to carry it out.

Some decent attacking football in the meantime would be nice though please, might as well have a go at winning 4-3 than what we are doing currently.

At what point do you think he'd have been sacked?

He kept us up last season.

Until the last few games we had one loss in seven and were in a very healthy position in the table.

You think "virtually any other professional football club" would have sacked him for three losses on the bounce, one to the team in third and one to the team who are top?

Maybe you're talking about coaching then? Well that's clearly been addressed recently with a fair few staff changes.

Performances are poor, but I doubt most would be sacking based on that.

Suggesting we try to win every game 4-3 is such a naive response to our problems.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

I can understand the whole thing about "3 year project" "sorting out the mess" £clearing the dead wood" etc, but the thing that concerns me is that, every single team that comes to Ashton Gate plays better football than us. They run the midfield playing passing football and playing out from the back.

We play kick it long and hope for the best.

If nothing else, surely the blame for that can be laid at Pearson's feet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yep good point.

Therefore lets have a go at entertaining football as we surely would gain as many points as we are now = enough to stay up.

Ticket sales, feel good (better) factor etc.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

At what point do you think he'd have been sacked?

He kept us up last season.

Until the last few games we had one loss in seven and were in a very healthy position in the table.

You think "virtually any other professional football club" would have sacked him for three losses on the bounce, one to the team in third and one to the team who are top?

Maybe you're talking about coaching then? Well that's clearly been addressed recently with a fair few staff changes.

Performances are poor, but I doubt most would be sacking based on that.

Suggesting we try to win every game 4-3 is such a naive response to our problems.

This performance would have got him sacked at virtually every other professional club, IMO.

Played - 29

Won - 6

Drawn - 7

Lost - 16

Points per game - 0.86

Not saying he should be sacked but he is receiving exceptional support that many others have not.

You have a different view which I respect.

8 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I can understand the whole thing about "3 year project" "sorting out the mess" £clearing the dead wood" etc, but the thing that concerns me is that, every single team that comes to Ashton Gate plays better football than us. They run the midfield playing passing football and playing out from the back.

We play kick it long and hope for the best.

If nothing else, surely the blame for that can be laid at Pearson's feet.

Yep.

8 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

This performance would have got him sacked at virtually every other professional club, IMO.

Played - 29

Won - 6

Drawn - 7

Lost - 16

Points per game - 0.86

Not saying he should be sacked but he is receiving exceptional support that many others have not.

You have a different view which I respect.

Why are you counting last season and this one together? He inherited an absolutely train wreck on a short term deal to keep us up as he did successfully.

As far as I'm concerned the summer was a new start.

I'm sure there are managers who could be sat on a better PPG but not be addressing any of the problems at the club, then in a year when they get fired we're back to square one.

In less than a year we've lost our head coach, both first team coaches, CEO, COO, physio, and more. There's context here.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i wont super nige to succeed but i have not seen any sign so far. i cant believe city fans are backing him so much. mind a fair few at west brom were starting to turn. 

I fully appreciate that you're on half term but it doesn't mean you should just abandon everything you're expected to be learning.

"I want" as opposed to "i wont". A sentence should be started with a capital letter and if you want to say wont then it's won't...as in write one hundred lines:

"I won't try to copy Robbored".

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Redrascal 2. This is a forum where people have opinions.If you dont agree with me then fine. But if everyone cleared off when the likes of you dont agree with something they just as well shut it down. As for using the word poison  that is a bit off. I even think Davefevs might agree with me. i did use the word might.

If you think that, care to respond to the lengthy post I wrote last night.  Do you see why I have a different view to you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not sure why the 'clearing the deadwood' part of the job has been seen by many as something that has made Pearson's job tougher. Seems to be something that is described as a difficult part of his job.

Not being able to clear the deadwood would have been the problem. All those contracts coming to an end was perfect for him to help him shape his squad into more like how he wants it.

There's still maybe a few he might ideally want to move on, but that's probably the same with any manager in the early days at any club.

On paper any 'mess' has already been sorted. When Pearson said we will be fine I'm sure he meant it. I expect having cleared so much in wages he would have been backed to at least bring in more frees or loans if he felt the squad weren't good enough. He wanted a smaller squad and didn't seem to be interested in loans.

The one position he didn't get was a striker and that's only because he rates Martin and Wells enough to think it costs millions bringing in better, which actually suggests he must think we have really good strikers so happy days ?

It’s a double edged sword.

Lets just take one made-up example….and in its simplest form:

Nige is left with Palmer (I was gonna say O’Dowda - joke!!!) so he had to let Paterson go on a free.

That really could be seen as a shit sandwich couldn’t it.

So in summary, he can’t clear the deadwood, because some of them are under contract, and because of the cluster#### of a re-contract strategy he’s lost one or two players he might’ve wanted to keep.  I’m sure he would’ve kept Walsh too (regardless of our opinions on him), but couldn’t afford to offer him what he wanted.

Inheriting a poorly balanced squad has exacerbated the issue.

And….I don’t think the mess is sorted, it’s less messy, but only because some of it is hidden away from view in the spare bedroom.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige is left with Palmer (I was gonna say O’Dowda - joke!!!) so he had to let Paterson go on a free.

So in summary, he can’t clear the deadwood, because some of them are under contract, and because of the cluster#### of a re-contract strategy he’s lost one or two players he might’ve wanted to keep.  I’m sure he would’ve kept Walsh too (regardless of our opinions on him), but couldn’t afford to offer him what he wanted.

And….I don’t think the mess is sorted, it’s less messy, but only because some of it is hidden away from view in the spare bedroom.

Walsh was never staying, no matter what we offered him - IMO.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Same for all clubs when a new manager comes in, very few have the "option" to ditch 11 or 12 if they want though.

All clubs have players under contract the new manager wants to get rid of but is stuck with. 

Just now, VT05763 said:

Walsh was never staying, no matter what we offered him - IMO.

I’m sure you’re right, but it’s just another example of a player that Nige might’ve wanted to keep but couldn’t.  And another example of a shit re-contracting strategy that has hamstrung us going forward.

Clearing players from the squad and reducing wage bill / amortisation costs is good, but it doesn’t necessarily correlate to “sorting the mess out”.  That’s the point I’m trying to make.

• Like 1