IGNORED

Jeff Stelling - leaving Soccer Saturday end of the season

Selred

3 hours ago, Selred said:

End of an era. A very very good presenter.

The James Brown doll was a highlight for me, absolutely brilliant.

I was lucky enough to interview him before our play-off semi-final against his beloved Hartlepool in 2004. A real gentleman and Mr Soccer Saturday. How do you replace a Rolls Royce?

• Like 3

What I find weird is we have had scores of mediocre white male pundits over the years and nobody ever questions how they got there.

Merson, Le Tissier, Mark Lawrenson, Phil Neville and Andy Townsend had impressive careers as footballers but none of them has shown an iota of aptitude for TV punditry - beyond being mates with someone who could get them a job - yet they get a free pass whilst every black or female pundit is constantly under the microscope.

Personally I welcome attempts to widen the talent pool because we sure as Hell weren’t being offered a consistent standard of quality before. 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The soft lot are the ones upset at just the idea he might be replaced by somebody who isn't a white man.

This is it. If a woman or person or colour gets the job then - whoever they are and however capable they are - you just know the easily offended brigade will be up in arms and bleating about it and will immediately decide they could not possibly be the best person for the job. But if the producer’s best mate gets it then - as long as they have a penis and white skin - they’ll immediately assume that person got it on merit.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

This is it. If a woman or person or colour gets the job then - whoever they are and however capable they are - you just know the easily offended brigade will be up in arms and bleating about it and will immediately decide they could not possibly be the best person for the job. But if the producer’s best mate gets it then - as long as they have a penis and white skin - they’ll immediately assume that person got it on merit.

Yep.

They'll always say things like "the BEST person for the job should get it".

But if a non-white person, gay person or a woman (or worst of all, all 3) gets a job, they cry and moan about "PC" and make snide "oh, I wonder why they got the job".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

Do you think any appointment other than a white bloke would be politically correct? 

I just hope whoever gets the gig puts in as much preparation time as Jeff did, he was constantly researching, updating his knowledge and putting in the unseen hard yards to make that programme amazing - anyone who can encourage people to watch a broadcast where we are watching people who are watching football matches is a genius - I sat next to Jeff at Ashton Gate for that infamous play off second leg game vs Hartlepools - what a committed monkey hangers fan he is, but still maintained his class and composure at the final whistle - a true gent and a proper football man - best of luck Jeff ...?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Haven’t seen anyone getting angry tbh just stating facts,have you watched the program lately it’s about as fun as the dentist,none of them can barely string a sentence together apart from sue smith who just rambles on talking nonsense 

You’ve posted a lot of comments on a thread about Jeff although not one post has been about him. Every post has been about who it could be, even though they haven’t been announced. Weird behaviour.