IGNORED

Head Tennis

Waconda

7 hours ago, Offside said:

Definitely felt like a turning point. 

I hope you're right, but going in a goal up at half time I would have hoped to see more 2nd half. 

They are as bad as any team I've seen for a while, and we created very little. Rarely controlled the game and struggled to keep the ball, again . The win was imprtant, but still very worried about performance.

54 minutes ago, bris red said:

Parachute payments this parachute payments that It’s such an easy cop out IMO.

We had millions of pounds worth of players on that pitch with some earning in excess of £20 k per week and some with top flight games under their belt..all we are/were asking is for players to have the ability and skill set to be able to trap the ball and pick out a pass to another red shirt along the floor to keep possession, **** me if that is so difficult for a professional footballer then i give up irrespective of ******* parachute payments!

Easy cop out ? 
Someone getting relegated would have had,
£100m for the year in the Prem.
£40m  First year back in Championship
£30m  2nd Year
£20m  3rd. 

Not sure the figures are current, but they are fairly recent. At the same time the others get £4.5m solidarity payment.  So £13.5m Vs £90m in the same period. Add the problems from the lack of fans money due to COVID and it skews it even more. It allows teams to keep Prem squads together, while the likes of teams like us have to build at a disadvantage. 

An extreme example , 3 different teams relegated each year could mean 9 teams getting that advantage by year 3, a third of the division. It makes a difference.
Look at it another way. Norwich go up pocket £100m, come down pocket £40m , go up £100m , come down (it looks likely) another £40m next year. So those 2 years in the Championship (last years promotion year & Next year) they would be given £80m against our £9m. It's why teams yoyo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bris red said:

We had millions of pounds worth of players on that pitch with some earning in excess of £20 k per week and some with top flight games under their belt..all we are/were asking is for players to have the ability and skill set to be able to trap the ball and pick out a pass to another red shirt along the floor to keep possession, **** me if that is so difficult for a professional footballer then i give up irrespective of ******* parachute payments!

£20k is very little relative to the wages of relegated clubs.

Profrssional players obviously have ability, you aren’t factoring in confidence - and 11 opponents applying pressure 

36 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I hope you're right, but going in a goal up at half time I would have hoped to see more 2nd half. 

They are as bad as any team I've seen for a while, and we created very little. Rarely controlled the game and struggled to keep the ball, again . The win was imprtant, but still very worried about performance.

Easy cop out ? 
£30m  2nd Year
£20m  3rd. 

Not sure the figures are current, but they are fairly recent. At the same time the others get £4.5m solidarity payment.  So £13.5m Vs £90m in the same period. Add the problems from the lack of fans money due to COVID and it skews it even more. It allows teams to keep Prem squads together, while the likes of teams like us have to build at a disadvantage. 

An extreme example , 3 different teams relegated each year could mean 9 teams getting that advantage by year 3, a third of the division. It makes a difference.
Look at it another way. Norwich go up pocket £100m, come down pocket £40m , go up £100m , come down (it looks likely) another £40m next year. So those 2 years in the Championship (last years promotion year & Next year) they would be given £80m against our £9m. It's why teams yoyo

What you’ve said may well be correct but it’s answering a point about our players not being able to make simple passes. 53% pass success rate yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

What you’ve said may well be correct but it’s answering a point about our players not being able to make simple passes. 53% pass success rate yesterday. 

You have to factor in confidence and nerves 

They haven't won in 17 at home that has an effect on players

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I've been complaining about that for ages, I played at no real standard but could find a team mate from 5 yards.  But what @Monkeh says is right, nerves and pressure play a big part. Goes a long way in explaining Blackpool, Forest etc. 
With confidence low players tend not to show for passes so much, fewer options for the man on the ball and so misplace passes. That and a tendency to go longer which is a higher risk pass. 

This has been building for some time, it will take some time to sort out. Going back to when Lee Tomlin was here, we were equally as bad and for me he stood out as he was always available, always wanted the ball. Palmer is the same to a lesser extent, he will receive the ball in tight spaces, makes it hard to offload when others aren't so keen . I don't like this direct stuff, some times it's an easy out, hit channels and hope for a runner. We've stopped even pretending to play out from the back now.  Maybe after that win it will improve, but I doubt it will for a while.

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Exactly, a 53% pass success rate is appalling and unacceptable, our pass rate in yesterdays game had nothing at all to do with parachute payments.

I know very well the figures in regards to parachute payments as has been kindly pointed out by @1960maaan but these payments have been in the Championship for decades - admittedly Covid hasn’t helped the situation. I don’t for one minute expect or demand that we should directly be competing with the West Brom’s Fulham’s and AFCB’s of this world but what we should all expect as paying customers is a team that can keep possession at home for spells and to do it against teams in and around us who have similar and in many cases lower budgets than us.

Hopefully Yesterdays win can be the catalyst for Nige and the boys to kick on now and it would be nice to see us playing something that resembles football in the near future.

20 minutes ago, bris red said:

Exactly, a 53% pass success rate is appalling and unacceptable, our pass rate in yesterdays game had nothing at all to do with parachute payments.

I know very well the figures in regards to parachute payments as has been kindly pointed out by @1960maaan but these payments have been in the Championship for decades - admittedly Covid hasn’t helped the situation. I don’t for one minute expect or demand that we should directly be competing with the West Brom’s Fulham’s and AFCB’s of this world but what we should all expect as paying customers is a team that can keep possession at home for spells and to do it against teams in and around us who have similar and in many cases lower budgets than us.

Hopefully Yesterdays win can be the catalyst for Nige and the boys to kick on now and it would be nice to see us playing something that resembles football in the near future.

Right, we are talking 2 different points.

My response about Parachute payments were just that, nothing to do with where we are as a club. IMO the payments skew the competition for the reasons I gave.

53% pass completion is appalling at any level of football, but it's just another symptom of the struggles we have had for 2/3 years. After that short spell of high press, short sharp passing we have gradually drifted, gone longer and took the easy option too often. 
To shake that off and play more football, to control the ball better will take a change in mindset, more bravery in possession and more coaching of possession football. I would have wanted to see more already, but after a few signs we have slid back lately. I hope it was a lot to do with nerves and yesterday helps that. I think it runs deeper though.

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Right, we are talking 2 different points.

My response about Parachute payments were just that, nothing to do with where we are as a club. IMO the payments skew the competition for the reasons I gave.

53% pass completion is appalling at any level of football, but it's just another symptom of the struggles we have had for 2/3 years. After that short spell of high press, short sharp passing we have gradually drifted, gone longer and took the easy option too often. 
To shake that off and play more football, to control the ball better will take a change in mindset, more bravery in possession and more coaching of possession football. I would have wanted to see more already, but after a few signs we have slid back lately. I hope it was a lot to do with nerves and yesterday helps that. I think it runs deeper though.

Yesterday’s pass rate was appalling but it had a lot to do with lack of movement off the ball. There were no options for the player on the ball. At times (many times) our midfielders were absolutely isolated from one another and thus had to hit hopeful balls. There were no triangles; whether that has to do with nerves or simply not wanting the ball, it means we couldn’t get it down and play. Throw ins were exactly the same: no movement, no one wanting the ball. Benarous has been criticised but I didn’t see him being given options. After one bit of shielding the ball out, HNM went over and praised him. Some of the older players could learn from that. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

What’s your “Source” of 53%.

8742537F-5D40-4142-A6FB-613766DC4B4E.thumb.jpeg.dfec86b1053f3d1a7cfb0cc7100bf717.jpeg

Wyscout 66.89%.

For info, we had 106 aerial duels yesterday, season average is 66.  Barnsley and City certainly played their part!

Edited by Davefevs

4 hours ago, bris red said:

Yep it's a lazy excuse.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Easy cop out ? 
£30m  2nd Year
£20m  3rd. 

And don't forget the players these clubs  sell when relegated.eg Nathan Ake £50 million.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.02a0d3d42b231edf09ae4b973af149ad.png

@And Its Smith - I included AFCB too ???

Heres the ten most direct teams in the Champ, most direct WBA, going up to Barnsley, sorted by the 4th column…10+ pass sequences. Only Brum and Blackburn of the other 9 to play in the first half of the season!!! ???

P7 W2 D2 L3 Pts 8

image.thumb.jpeg.2e552f632ca06dc301fbff92c7e26da6.jpeg

Ultimately we aren’t a good side, but enough bits of quality to get results.  We do need to improve though, we should improve.

Edited by Davefevs

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Easy cop out ? 
£30m  2nd Year
£20m  3rd. 

If that's the case then surely SL should be pulling out all the stops to get us into the Prem as soon as possible, or is he waiting until we get another rich backer to help him do so?     Just a thought.   I think teams yoyo because they are to good for the Championship, but not good enough for the Prem, still it's a real fact that these parachute payments help these teams keep their best players and therefore help them maintain the yoyo situation. I do think it's not fair on the other teams in the league, parachute payments should only be handed out when relegated for the first year and stopped after that, if only,  just to make sure that the club doesn't get into financial difficulties due to contractual obligations.