IGNORED

Players you’d lose no sleep over if you never saw them in a City shirt again…

Fordy62

Last night got me thinking. Who would I just not care about if I never saw them in a City shirt again? Well, here’s my list:

Wells - he’s been a complete flop. And a very, very expensive one at that. 

Martin - had some good little spells, but is quite evidently nearing the end of his career. Given that he wasn’t ever blessed with pace, a mid 30’s Martin who doesn’t win headers isn’t exactly an asset to anyone. 

Dasilva - controversial one maybe this, but the excitement of the England U21 international was never realised and for me he gets beaten too easily. 

COD - has never really delivered for us. I think he had a good 60 seconds once against Norwich. 

Palmer - can’t be good if so many managers won’t pick him. God that’s another expensive one. 

Bakinson - lollops around and is basically a walking liability. I know people say he had a good first half last night, but I didn’t see that, I saw far too many mistakes. 

Simpson - what’s the point?

Vyner - time after time not good enough. 

Moore - see Vyner. 

Pretty damning indictment of the squad for me and highlights just how big a task Nige has in front of him, although I accept I think he should be doing better.

Anyone have any other ideas?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Last night got me thinking. Who would I just not care about if I never saw them in a City shirt again? Well, here’s my list:

Martin - had some good little spells, but is quite evidently nearing the end of his career. Given that he wasn’t ever blessed with pace, a mid 30’s Martin who doesn’t win headers isn’t exactly an asset to anyone. 

Dasilva - controversial one maybe this, but the excitement of the England U21 international was never realised and for me he gets beaten too easily. 

COD - has never really delivered for us. I think he had a good 60 seconds once against Norwich. 

Palmer - can’t be good if so many managers won’t pick him. God that’s another expensive one. 

Bakinson - lollops around and is basically a walking liability. I know people say he had a good first half last night, but I didn’t see that, I saw far too many mistakes. 

Moore - see Vyner. 

Pretty damning indictment of the squad for me and highlights just how big a task Nige has in front of him, although I accept I think he should be doing better.

Think that's about it, possibly keep Martin but he needs back up.

The rest? Sooner the better...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Moore - see Vyner. 

You’ve got that about right 

Edited by BCFCinNW6

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Moore - see Vyner. 

I’d like to see Wells again, because I know there’s some genuine potential there to get 15+ goals. 

Id like to see Dasilva, but because it seems he has potential to be top half Championship at least.

The same goes with Bakinson, if he can ever overcome his languid style.

I’d be more annoyed than anything if the 3 left, because I know they all have the potential to do far better than they are, but haven’t, with us.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I’d like to see Wells again, because I know there’s some genuine potential there to get 15+ goals. 

Id like to see Dasilva, but because it seems he has potential to be top half Championship at least.

The same goes with Bakinson, if he can ever overcome his languid style.

Dasilva, he’s got pace and skill, but seems to be lacking in defensive nause for me. Maybe it’ll come?

But Bakinson, I’m afraid there’s just no urgency in defence. He’s good playing forward, but for me he’s a constant chance of an opposition counter attack when he’s on the ball. 

I know what you mean about Wells, but never seen it in our shirt. And it makes me sick to think how much we paid (are paying for him). 

Edited by Fordy62

Anyone but the following who I believe have the ability to play (now, or next season) Championship football:

Bentley, Dasilva, Tanner, Kalas, Baker, Atkinson, Massengo, James, Williams, King, Scott, Weimann, Wells

So we've a squad of 13 Championship footballers (IMO) for this or next year and we expect to be anywhere away from a relegation battle....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Moore - see Vyner. 

Yup thats pretty much the same list for me also. As you said Dasilva is a controversial one but for me he is vastly over rated - a very very average defender who doesn’t even offer a particularly great deal going forward either.

The scary/worrying thing is what are those listed players actually worth in todays market and who would want them? I’d be all for shipping them out but will it realistically generate enough funds for a rebuild for Pearson?

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Moore - see Vyner. 

I know "losing sleep" it's a figure of speech but it's a been a long time since I've genuinely cared about any of the players and whether they'd stay or go.

At present - I think the only players in the whole squad that I'd be particularly disappointed if they left would be Massengo, Atkinson and Scott.

There are a number of players I rate who I think can be important for us (Tanner, Dasilva, James, Kalas, Baker, Weimann, Semenyo) - but I wouldn't be that fussed if they left. 

It's easy to look back with nostalgia - but in recentish' history there's been several teams where I've been much more emotionally invested in and cared about. Gary Johnson's 06/07 promotion & 07/08 playoff sides. Cotterill's 14/15 promotion side. A few times during Johnson's tenure (early in his appointment and the cup run squads). Obviously lots of these squads coincide with success - but this current squad reminds me of the Millen/McInnes/SO'D teams which I had absolutely no emotional investment in. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

@Fordy62O’Dowda is the most frustrating of the lot- he’s the ability, can carry the ball and should be a great outlet, just doesn’t do it enough.

Mentioned it before , he’s good mates with Brownhill- whose career has gone upwards and  earned himself a move to the PL - no doubt a decent signing on fee and substantial increase in wages. O’Dowda should be looking at his mate and saying I want a piece of that but hasn’t and doesn’t.

Too many players in their comfort zone 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daored said:

@Fordy62O’Dowda is the most frustrating of the lot- he’s the ability, can carry the ball and should be a great outlet, just doesn’t do it enough.

Mentioned it before , he’s good mates with Brownhill- whose career has gone upwards and  earned himself a move to the PL - no doubt a decent signing on fee and substantial increase in wages. O’Dowda should be looking at his mate and saying I want a piece of that but hasn’t and doesn’t.

Too many players in their comfort zone 

O’Dowda just hasn’t got the talent of Brownhill its as simple as that IMO. I actually don’t doubt COD’s commitment or desire, i just genuinely don’t think he is good enough just like many of our squad.

That list is pretty spot on.

Only comment I would have is that Martin has got the 6th most Championship goals in history so would be a handy asset to keep around IF we had 2 other proper strikers who were playing week in week out. We don't even have one currently.

There's a couple players on that list who should have been moved on years ago IMO - O'Dowda for one.

• Like 1

Agree. What a waste of resources, what a massive opportunity lost for the Club. Those responsible for signing/player development should hang their collective heads in shame. 

Only issues with that list…

Dasilva might work in the midfield somewhere. Jesz he can’t be worse than anyone there at present. Pretty much sussed by all the opposition now at the back, due to his lack of height.

Wells, as the last throw of the dice, play central for a couple of games with someone, anyone, who can play a decent ball in front of him. 

13 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Anyone but the following who I believe have the ability to play (now, or next season) Championship football:

Bentley, Dasilva, Tanner, Kalas, Baker, Atkinson, Massengo, James, Williams, King, Scott, Weimann, Wells

So we've a squad of 13 Championship footballers (IMO) for this or next year and we expect to be anywhere away from a relegation battle....

Pring, Semenyo ? Then the likes of Bell, Benarous and Conway by next season assuming we add some experience to the squad.

20 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Pring, Semenyo ? Then the likes of Bell, Benarous and Conway by next season assuming we add some experience to the squad.

Pring hasn't yet shown me he's ready or will be for Championship football, sorry. He's not a youngster either so I'm not sure he'll be at this level long - he wouldn't be for anyone else other than us. 

Semenyo, maybe - he's not yet convinced me entirely, perhaps being harsh. Certainly far more likely than Pring.

Benarous looked years off on Saturday, he looked about 12 v adults. Would rather see him loaned out to L1 or L2 depending if he can get game time for the next couple years. So he'd remain off the list for this and next year for sure.

Bell and Conway - not from what I've seen could I say they'll be ready to play Championship football next year. 

39 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I actually thought Vyner did well for a lot of last night.  Losing a flick on to Deeney is no crime & shouldn't have led to a goal.  Didn't see the 3rd goal.

For me, Bakinson was our best player 1st half but like the others disappeared once James went off.  

I really think Bakinson flattered to deceive in the first half. He played a couple of nice passes, he also played a couple of bad passes in good situations. The main issue is defensively he was bypassed time and again in both halves, it just didn't prove as costly as it did when James went off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Moore - see Vyner. 

Just quoted the majority of those to a mate who can leave.

Dasilva is the one that's concerning me the most at the moment. On the whole, I can accept our team might just not be quite good enough. But Dasilva is playing so much more poorly than he has in the past. Add in the fact that Vyner and Bakinson have gone from promising to not good enough and there have to be questions asked as to whether Pearson is getting the most out of the players at his disposal.

I feel Martin has a role to play but relying on him every game just means he plays poorly every time. I think he'd be better if we used him sparingly. 

Some think the squad is so poor that the manager and coaches get a pass, that you can't polish a turd. I think there's blame to go around and that on field performances reflect badly on off field preparation. If the coaching hasn't been up to standard then for the younger players that will be hurting their development.

II'd take Vyner, Bakinson and Dasilva off that list.

1 hour ago, dREDful said:

Add into that the availability of some of them and it’s no wonder we are looking stretched.

What gets me though is some clubs ( not the ex Prem parachute clubs) are seemingly doing so much better with similar or lesser resources. 

The bottom line for me is that Pearson, for whatever reason, simply isn’t getting the best out of this squad. 

Edit: @LondonBristolian, I wrote this before I read your reply on this thread. Looks like we are thinking the same thing.

Moore - see Vyner. 

Have to agree, Bakinson is a lazy donkey IMO. Drifts in and out of games all the time.

Dasilva, he’s got pace and skill, but seems to be lacking in defensive nause for me. Maybe it’ll come?

But Bakinson, I’m afraid there’s just no urgency in defence. He’s good playing forward, but for me he’s a constant chance of an opposition counter attack when he’s on the ball. 

I know what you mean about Wells, but never seen it in our shirt. And it makes me sick to think how much we paid (are paying for him). 

You've done well there. I'm keeping DaSilva and throwing Baker and King into your Room 101.

Just now, mozo said:

You've done well there. I'm keeping DaSilva and throwing Baker and King into your Room 101.

Oooh… King I’m not sure about - have we seen enough - but actually yeh, I’d lose no sleep. but I’d keep Baker - he’s fairly decent at this level when (a) he’s not having a rush of blood to the head, or (b) he’s being innocuously injured… bugger I think that only leaves 25% of games! ?

• Like 1

List makes sense.

Have said it before; I’d prefer kids are blooded over most of these - under no illusions they would be immediately better, and would be hard for them, but simply can’t imagine they’d not be easier to root for.

Get you have to manage their introduction, but can giving Bell and others starts and minutes in proper, senior football to actually find out what we have compared to watching Martin huff and puff his way around the pitch doing next to nothing for 90 mins actually make us worse than what we are seeing now? I’m not sure.

Edited by samo II