IGNORED

Fitness And Strength

Simon79

With all the late equalisers/winners and lack of tracking back or some might say ‘general effort’. Does anyone else wonder about this new fitness regime we are under? When the body tires, so does the mind, it might explain the switching off late in games. Apparently fitter than ever, can jump vertically better than Peter Rabbit etc etc. Now the injuries are seemingly creeping in again as well. Just a thought. COYR 

• Like 1

Resting in possession?

Far from an exact science of course but to play without the ball consistently. It's draining, both mentally and physically.

Not looked at stats in depth but BBC site says Coventry had over 50% possession.

We had less than half of the ball despite having an extra man for a whole half? Wow!

Anyway if you have a reasonable amount you can rest in possession. Without it, you are having to concentrate or chase- perhaps both and this can exhaust over time, while also probably contributing to knocks etc.

Not saying that we should be aiming at slow, 70% etc but we're too far the other way IMO. We could perhaps do with a bit more ball...plus some resting in possession can maybe help with pressing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Resting in possession?

Far from an exact science of course but to play without the ball consistently. It's draining, both mentally and physically.

Not looked at stats in depth but BBC site says Coventry had over 50% possession.

We had less than half of the ball despite having an extra man for a whole half? Wow!

Anyway if you have a reasonable amount you can rest in possession. Without it, you are having to concentrate or chase- perhaps both and this can exhaust over time, while also probably contributing to knocks etc.

We seem to always look very panicky and uncomfortable when in possession. The opposition having over 50% possession with 10 men show how woeful we really are.

• Like 2

Just now, Lordofthebling said:

Nobody wants the ball, we rush playing it forward, hot potato, noone can beat a man  its sideways..... lump it up to Chris martin, hope....... then defend.

Absolutely this. It’s a very worrying trait imo. Less than a handful actually look comfortable on the ball, in fact I’d say 3 from what I’ve seen & two of those are not regular starters. The old adage ‘ it’s easier to run with the ball, than without it’ springs to mind. COYR 

1 minute ago, Simon79 said:

Absolutely this. It’s a very worrying trait imo. Less than a handful actually look comfortable on the ball, in fact I’d say 3 from what I’ve seen & two of those are not regular starters. The old adage ‘ it’s easier to run with the ball, than without it’ springs to mind. COYR 

I can name them.

Wanting the ball, I can name: Atkinson, Dasilva, Weiman, Bakinson, HNM, O Dowda, Martin...

The only player I feel won't lose it, won't give me heart palpitations every ###### time or lump it: James and Williams

With that being the case, no wonder the players don't trust each other to actually get up the pitch.

8 hours ago, Simon79 said:

With all the late equalisers/winners and lack of tracking back or some might say ‘general effort’. Does anyone else wonder about this new fitness regime we are under? When the body tires, so does the mind, it might explain the switching off late in games. Apparently fitter than ever, can jump vertically better than Peter Rabbit etc etc. Now the injuries are seemingly creeping in again as well. Just a thought. COYR 

I believe the players are fit enough, the problem is the mental side of their game. I've responded to other posts that there is a clear psychological problem with the players that is not being addressed. This goes back to LJ, DH and now NP. You can see from body language, facial expression, decision making etc that they are a long way off psychologically. The team ability is mid-table at best but currently under performing and without a clear psychological strategy we will have to hope there are 3 teams worse than us.

8 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I just watched the highlightes. Wow we did play some good football at times. Wow we also played negative football at other times. We had 11 and they had 10 men. Wow over all we should of one. Wow I feel dissapointed for the 3,000 that traveled and  watched it.

Wow how many points do you think we need to have in the bag to stay up in this Championship  this season.

Wow NP might have our players fitter than ever but it has made no difference. 

At the end of the day the team is lacking in quality and can not play the full 90 minutes and injury time if any.

8 minutes ago, Pippintogg said:

I believe the players are fit enough, the problem is the mental side of their game. I've responded to other posts that there is a clear psychological problem with the players that is not being addressed. This goes back to LJ, DH and now NP. You can see from body language, facial expression, decision making etc that they are a long way off psychologically. The team ability is mid-table at best but currently under performing and without a clear psychological strategy we will have to hope there are 3 teams worse than us.

The players get paid extremely well. There is no excuse that psychological problems are the issue. Let us hope there are three teams at the end of the season worse than us that under perform on the pitch most weeks throughout the season.

Psychological speaking every one does and perform well when things are going good all round either at home or at work and when all goes good mentally this brings results in everything you do. 

I think it is lack of commitment and willing to want to win  by some of the players for the full 90 minutes is the issue and dare I say it do we actually have the manager to fix it.

Players are fit enough fitter than they have been it's just the intelligence side of there game thats the problem.. Game management,Ball retention that players cant seem to grasp. Ie Vyner getting the wrong side of a player then that makes him do more work to stop the opposition if he's the right side and tight he then has to do less work,If they are making hard work of it they will use more energy and mistakes jump in which then effects there mental side ie confidence. All basic stuff.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, City oz said:

The players get paid extremely well. There is no excuse that psychological problems are the issue. Let us hope there are three teams at the end of the season worse than us that under perform on the pitch most weeks throughout the season.

Psychological speaking every one does and perform well when things are going good all round either at home or at work and when all goes good mentally this brings results in everything you do. 

I think it is lack of commitment and willing to want to win  by some of the players for the full 90 minutes is the issue and dare I say it do we actually have the manager to fix it.

I am a psychologist who deals with people's mental health problems every day, and I can see the players have a problem that affects them during games. Yes they get paid well, and some appear to lack commitment, but there is a psychological element at the moment that needs fixing and is not being addressed by those working at the club. The results and performance are all the evidence we need. The longer this goes on the worse it will get, and particularly among the young players.  

• Like 1