IGNORED

Craig Shakespeare….

TomThumb84

6 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

….. available as has left Villa with Smith.

Why would he join  City. Unless he is losing his sanity. Nothing that has happened or will probably happen would  attract someone who has been in the Premier League. And Lansdown wouldn't pay the necessary money to get him. He is  leaving it all to Pearson and Gould and his son and showing little  interest in what is happening and our slide in to league 1.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Why would he join  City. Unless he is losing his sanity. Nothing that has happened or will probably happen would  attract someone who has been in the Premier League. And Lansdown wouldn't pay the necessary money to get him. He is  leaving it all to Pearson and Gould and his son and showing little  interest in what is happening and our slide in to league 1.

You started so well then ended with a comment based on what ?   Of course he cares , it’s his business but he pays others to manage the day to day running  of it.   What would you rather… that or a madcap owner that bumbles into the dressing room demanding that the manager plays certain players 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Nige has his coaching team in place so I don't know why everyone keeps saying about this guy. Was it about 2 months ago he brought in Fleming as the assistant manager? He was surely never going to bring him in then replace him. 

I think prior to the revelation that NP will be on sick-leave indefinitely, I probably would have agreed with you that it would be an unnecessary addition to the backroom team.

With tonight's news however, I would be leaning towards it being exactly what is needed. NP would then have two trusted right hand men in position at the club, who he can liaise with when (or... if...) he decides he's fit enough to do some light managerial/coaching work - perhaps working remotely first of all (as I think Steve Cotterill did with Wilbraham at Shrewsbury when stricken with Covid)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd rather just get a new manager in if Nige isn't coming back. Shakespeare has mainly been an assistant except that short Leicester role as manager.

Well yes, if he is never coming back then there's not much point persevering with any of his backroom team.

We just don't know what's going to happen :dunno:

• Thanks 1

I’ll be honest, after listening to the Richard Gould interview tonight, I wouldn’t expect us to even approach Shakespeare, as I don’t think the Club really expect Nige to come back.

I’m getting a feeling of dejavu here.  Steve Coppell walked after fully realising the size of the task here and who’s to say NP hasn’’t looked at his health issues and also concluded that he isn’t going to get a tune out of this weak minded rabble.  I wouldn’t blame him if he felt he didn’t need this shit at this stage of his life.

Possibly the club are just hanging on while he’s on sick leave in case he changes his mind when his health improves.

• Like 3

Thought the one comment that sounded absolutely unequivocal in the RB interview was that there had been no contact with Shakespeare, and I think you have to wonder whether that’s saying more than was intended.

Club are in a catch 22 situation now. Shakespeare makes sense if Pearson is here, he doesn’t if he’s not.

• Like 4

Just now, S_C said:

Thought the one comment that sounded absolutely unequivocal in the RB interview was that there had been no contact with Shakespeare, and I think you have to wonder whether that’s saying more than was intended.

Club are in a catch 22 situation now. Shakespeare makes sense if Pearson is here, he doesn’t if he’s not.

All much a do about nothing if you ask me ?

8 minutes ago, S_C said:

Exactly, if theres any doubt that pearson wont be staying why would they offer shakespeare a contract?!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It would be very poor form to sack a guy when he’s ill. 

Very true Major, but I’m not so sure the club even want to sack him.  

Gould was very vague, but sounds like NP hasn’t been very involved in the team for a while now, so maybe they aren’t viewing him as being totally responsible for the mess we’re in now.

I just got the vibe that it could be NP who may be relutant to come back, rather than the club not wanting him back

All speculation of course, but just how I read it.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It would be very poor form to sack a guy when he’s ill. 

Where as I agree, and without trying to sound to heartless here…..we have to at some point act in the best interests of the club to . 

We cannot afford to cruise along without a number one at the helm to long. We’re already looked it on as a rudderless ship….

12 hours ago, nellie said:

you cant sack someone when off sick 

Not that simple. If he's no longer capable for doing the job you can. If he's not employed but on a contract it would depend on tbe terms of the contract. Lots of opinions on here, but unless someone has detailed knowledge of his terms and conditions it's all pointless speculation.

14 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Totally bizarre of Gould to say we're not interested in even speaking with Craig Shakespeare.

I can only assume (as alluded to on another thread) we are well and truly ****** financially.

Well, he said they hadn't spoken to him. That doesn't mean they are not interested in it or never will.

However,  I expect no contingency planning has been done as they literally don't appear to know what to do other than cross their fingers and hope for the best.

I presume they haven't been watching the club's on field performances either...

9 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Going to Norwich with Smith apparently 

I always wonder how, psychologically , coaches can hop from one club to another after having given their all, been kicked out and then head hunted by a new club all in the space of a few days. 
Can they really take on board what has happened to them? Reset and dive a hundred per cent into a new project in so little time? 
Do coaches who take a bit of time out come back refreshed and better for their experience ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I always wonder how, psychologically , coaches can hop from one club to another after having given their all, been kicked out and then head hunted by a new club all in the space of a few days. 
Can they really take on board what has happened to them? Reset and dive a hundred per cent into a new project in so little time? 
Do coaches who take a bit of time out come back refreshed and better for their experience ? 

Maybe it’s simply weighed up by a need to work or fear of being out of the game 

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Was only chatting about this the other day. These coaches must get so invested in the roles I don’t get how they can go straight into a new role, especially after being sacked 

You normally get sacked after a bad run, which ultimately must affect the individual 

It why I think someone like Eddie Howe did the right think and took a good year out. He looked broken after his last game in charge for Bournemouth 

Was only chatting about this the other day. These coaches must get so invested in the roles I don’t get how they can go straight into a new role, especially after being sacked 

You normally get sacked after a bad run, which ultimately must affect the individual 

It why I think someone like Eddie Howe did the right think and took a good year out. He looked broken after his last game in charge for Bournemouth 

20 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

Maybe it’s simply weighed up by a need to work or fear of being out of the game 

I can understand this and the window of opportunity which may be closed to them in the future but how many coaches have job hopped and failed each time because they’ve not learned from their previous mistakes or allowed the scars of ‘ failure’ to heal.

Michael Appleton is one, in particular, who was very highly thought of, went from one failure to another before finally finding what he had lost and resurrecting his career at Oxford.

The footballing world is full of disillusioned coaches thrown on the scrap heap following a brief moment in the spotlight and a bad move .