IGNORED

Derby days in the FA Cup? Yeovil, Swindon and the other lot in third round hat

Never to the dark side

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The title of one of my favourite records from the 1970s, by Racing Cars.

Late one night a few years ago, I saw on late TV there was a film of the same name, starring Jane Fonda, I think, though I could be wrong - it was a few years ago.

Thinking the Cars record was probably the sound track, l decided to watch it out of curiosity.

The film was crap and there was no appearance of my song!

I think you have a minority view there, it was voted one of the films of that decade and has a rating of 7.9/10 on IMDB. Also it received 9 Oscar nominations in a period thaat the Oscars had a bit more meaning.

11 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

We haven't been in the 3rd round for 10 years?

Swindon have hit the jackpot with that draw. It'll be a sell-out and probably be televised too.

You might as well go out of the cup in style....!!!

I might rent out parking on my drive at £10 per car for that one - £40 beer money for doing nothing would be nice! 

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Swindon have hit the jackpot with that draw. It'll be a sell-out and probably be televised too.

You might as well go out of the cup in style....!!!

I might rent out parking on my drive at £10 per car for that one - £40 beer money for doing nothing would be nice! 

Every ones a winner and yes why not cash in by renting your drive out if it's a possibility!

Fantastic draw for us and a little payback for the new owner who has has to pick up all the sh*t Power left us in and let's be honest we're probably going tombe given a football lesson on the pitch whatever team they put out but it's better to play a class team than just dream about them even if we do get hammered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Every ones a winner and yes why not cash in by renting your drive out if it's a possibility!

Fantastic draw for us and a little payback for the new owner who has has to pick up all the sh*t Power left us in and let's be honest we're probably going tombe given a football lesson on the pitch whatever team they put out but it's better to play a class team than just dream about them even if we do get hammered.

We'll swap Fulham with you?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

The song (agree, a classic) was inspired by the film. 

I didn't know that, but I now understand why the song wasn't played during the film ?.

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think you have a minority view there, it was voted one of the films of that decade and has a rating of 7.9/10 on IMDB. Also it received 9 Oscar nominations in a period thaat the Oscars had a bit more meaning.

Oh Dear, how arrogant of me. 

As I said, I watched it late at night, probably back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, and just found it very slow and long-winded: it would have been more gracious had I said I didn't like the film much. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 19:32, JPBCFC said:

Since being promoted back to the championship we have had:

2015-16: west brom
2016-17: fleetwood, burnley
2017-18:  watford
2018-19: huddersfield,bolton and wolves 
2019-20:  shrewsbury
2020-21: portsmouth millwall and sheffield united 
2021-22: fulham 

we have only played one top 10 prem sides in the past seven years in the FA cup

Your summary only covers six years? So who was the ‘top 10 prem side’ we played in the ‘past seven years’ ? I remember us playing West Ham in 2015 - was that the one?

On 06/12/2021 at 23:31, Shaun Taylor said:

We haven't been in the 3rd round for 10 years?

Ops. ?

Anyway, there are many other examples Looking at the FA Cup's last five editions:

Morecambe: Chelsea last season, Tottenham this one. 

Rotherham: Everton, then Manchester City.

Then Lincoln (vs Everton), Middlesbrough, Wimbledon, Tranmere & Marine (vs Tottenham), Stoke, Fleetwood & Wigan (vs Leicester), Shrewsbury & Plymouth (vs Liverpool), Port Vale (vs Manchester City), Reading x2 & Derby (vs Manchester United), Preston, Blackpool & Leeds (vs Arsenal), Norwich (Chelsea).

Not to mention League Cup's early draws: Burton-Liverpool, Chelsea-Bristol Rovers,Everton-Yeovil, Everton-Rotherham, Leicester-Fleetwood, Everton-Salford, Man City-Preston, Leyton-Tottenham, Luton-Man Utd, Chelsea-Barnsley, Manchester City-Bournemouth, Lincoln-Liverpool, etc.

The best option we had was...Aston Villa one time? ?

Edited by Dan Robin

BBC/ITV games as follows:

FA Cup third-round televised games

Friday, 7 January

Swindon v Manchester City, 20:00 kick-off - live on ITV1

Saturday, 8 January

Millwall v Crystal Palace, 12:45 - live on ITV1

Hull City v Everton, 17:30 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Sunday, 9 January

West Ham United v Leeds United, 14:15 - live on ITV1

Nottingham Forest v Arsenal, 17:15 - live on ITV1

Monday, 10 January

Manchester United v Aston Villa, 19:55 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

It's a pretty drab selection IMO. Only one team from below the Championship, and none of the non-league sides, on TV is pretty poor IMO. Two all-Prem games as well, whoopy. A real shame that Liverpool v Shrewsbury, Spurs v Morecombe or Chelsea v Chesterfield couldn't have been chosen ahead of Hull v Everton or West Ham v Leeds?

Edited by ExiledAjax

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

BBC/ITV games as follows:

FA Cup third-round televised games

Friday, 7 January

Swindon v Manchester City, 20:00 kick-off - live on ITV1

Saturday, 8 January

Millwall v Crystal Palace, 12:45 - live on ITV1

Hull City v Everton, 17:30 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

Sunday, 9 January

West Ham United v Leeds United, 14:15 - live on ITV1

Nottingham Forest v Arsenal, 17:15 - live on ITV1

Monday, 10 January

Manchester United v Aston Villa, 19:55 - live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer

It's a pretty drab selection IMO. Only one team from below the Championship, and none of the non-league sides, on TV is pretty poor IMO. Two all-Prem games as well, whoopy. A real shame that Liverpool v Shrewsbury, Spurs v Morecombe or Chelsea v Chesterfield couldn't have been chosen ahead of Hull v Everton or West Ham v Leeds?

I would imagine Yeovil are disappointed especially with their Cup pedigree 

28 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I would imagine Yeovil are disappointed especially with their Cup pedigree 

Maybe, but I can understand their being left aside as IIRC they were shown just 2 or 3 years ago when Man Utd visited, so they've had a recent broadcast.

You must be happy, or are you going to get to the ground so not too bothered by the TV selection?

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Maybe, but I can understand their being left aside as IIRC they were shown just 2 or 3 years ago when Man Utd visited, so they've had a recent broadcast.

You must be happy, or are you going to get to the ground so not too bothered by the TV selection?

I'm really happy and hoping that city play quite a few young players along with a few named ones as once they get in the groove it could end up embarrassing but hopefully we at least give a good account of ourselves.

i will be really lucky to get a spare ticket as season ticket holders, mini season ticket purchasers (a bundle of six games) and supporters that have been to the most home games with the highest amount of points will be given priority which is fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I'm really happy and hoping that city play quite a few young players along with a few named ones as once they get in the groove it could end up embarrassing but hopefully we at least give a good account of ourselves.

i will be really lucky to get a spare ticket as season ticket holders, mini season ticket purchasers (a bundle of six games) and supporters that have been to the most home games with the highest amount of points will be given priority which is fair enough.

What's the capacity at your ground now ST ?

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Ah fair, much like our League Cup games in 2017/18 then. Assumed you might be an ST holder. At least it's on the tele. This was their 3rd round team last season, against Championship Birmingham. I expect Pep will play a fair few of the big players tbh, he tends to take the cups quite seriously. Enjoy it!

image.png.c34e59e7bd01c5fd915a69b4b17b0843.png

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Ah fair, much like our League Cup games in 2017/18 then. Assumed you might be an ST holder. At least it's on the tele. This was their 3rd round team last season, against Championship Birmingham. I expect Pep will play a fair few of the big players tbh, he tends to take the cups quite seriously. Enjoy it!

image.png.c34e59e7bd01c5fd915a69b4b17b0843.png

Five of them will have Covid, three will be injured and two of them suspended but the goalkeeper should be fit?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, weepywall said:

What's the capacity at your ground now ST ?

It's around 14,500 if you leave the corner of the Stratton bank empty but there talk that they may give City the whole end which would then make it around 15,000 which we got in a pre season against Liverpool a few seasons ago. What's ironic is you guys would get more tickets if we played you in a league game than Man City will get for this match if they get 15% of the capacity.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It's around 14,500 if you leave the corner of the Stratton bank empty but there talk that they may give City the whole end which would then make it around 15,000 which we got in a pre season against Liverpool a few seasons ago. What's ironic is you guys would get more tickets if we played you in a league game than Man City will get for this match if they get 15% of the capacity.

You are going to need that 15,000 when Joey Barton and his bunch of dandy highway men visit ?

• Haha 2