IGNORED

Derby days in the FA Cup? Yeovil, Swindon and the other lot in third round hat

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Didn`t Shrews go to Liverpool after they beat us a year or two back?

Yep, my hunch is that the defeat away was a big part in LJ losing his job.  SL and MA (and LJ too) wanted a glory / ego tie…and possibly £1m to go with it.  We lost!

54 minutes ago, eardun said:

I remember playing Aldershot a lot in the late 80s. 

I remember the replay at AG….near Xmas.  Was the days when the office Xmas party was in the office, straight after closing, upstairs in the restroom.  Manager had some home brew wine….I had a glass or two.  44 players on the pitch, 2 Steve Claridge’s.  Think we win 1-0.  Stinking headache the next day.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Sheff Weds vs Arsenal 1979, 4 replays, them’s the days. 

Alvechurch beat Oxford City after FIVE replays in November 1971, in the 4th Qualifying Round (prior to the 1st Round proper).

22 November 1971: The longest-ever FA Cup tie finally finishes | Sport | The Guardian

Edited by Curr Avon

Just now, Curr Avon said:

Alvechurch beat Oxford City after FIVE replays in November 1971, 22 November 1971: The longest-ever FA Cup tie finally finishes | Sport | The Guardian, in the 4th Qualifying Round (prior to the 1st Round proper).

Fantastic, these days people want penalties at half time (or first rehydration break). 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, my hunch is that the defeat away was a big part in LJ losing his job.  SL and MA (and LJ too) wanted a glory / ego tie…and possibly £1m to go with it.  We lost!

I remember the replay at AG….near Xmas.  Was the days when the office Xmas party was in the office, straight after closing, upstairs in the restroom.  Manager had some home brew wine….I had a glass or two.  44 players on the pitch, 2 Steve Claridge’s.  Think we win 1-0.  Stinking headache the next day.

That was the start of LJ losing his mind I think. Blamed the whole thing on Palmer didn’t be? And that weird comment about ‘this always happens to us’

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

?Two Steve Claridges

There's only two Steve Claridges?

15 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Fantastic, these days people want penalties at half time (or first rehydration break). 

The Alvechurch manager's final team talk was simply inspirational...

"By the end the manager, Rhys Davies, was really struggling with his team talks. We already knew everything about each other. There was nothing to say other than just go on the pitch and scrap. The manager was a motivator rather than a football brain if you like, and in the end he was just talking about character. He started using two words that I still remember. He'd say: "If you're going to win this you're going to need tonk and bottle." To this day I've got no idea what "tonk and bottle" means. It wasn't refined football chat."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

?Two Steve Claridges

There's only two Steve Claridges?

He was co-commentating on an FA Cup game a few years back and the other bloke asked him if he had ever been involved in any multiple replay ties and of course this came up. The commentator asked him if the players were still up for it after all the games and SC`s reply was `No. No-one cared who won, we just wanted the nightmare to end`!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That was the start of LJ losing his mind I think. Blamed the whole thing on Palmer didn’t be? And that weird comment about ‘this always happens to us’

I agree nothing quite felt the same at the club after that, we were lucky to win those 3 games after that (reading, QPR and derby)

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember a marathon tie against John Becks Cambridge side, John Taylor up front for them Bob Taylor for us. I think Cambridge won the last tie 5-1 possibly after extra time? 

I went to that Cambridge away game, still have nightmares about that now ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weepywall said:

Was Dion Dublin still there then?

I remember that Bob Taylor scored 30 goals in all competitions that season, but he thought he only had 29, when they mentioned his consolation goal in that game, he said that he had wiped it from his memory. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Was Dion Dublin still there then?

I remember that Bob Taylor scored 30 goals in all competitions that season, but he thought he only had 29, when they mentioned his consolation goal in that game, he said that he had wiped it from his memory. 

I don't recall DD being there but I can't be sure, just remember it being a hellish night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Amazing, just tuned in to Boreham Wood v St Albans on ITV4, St Albans have a 'Dave Diedhou' in their starting XI

And one of Boreham Wood goalscorers used to be in City's academy under S'OD and Cotterill

DDB94826-CEDF-4A8B-B36B-75C4F9EC4EE2.thumb.jpeg.bb0364d70be82698ee23c0dbf4c5ea7b.jpeg

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Think it was the next season Arsenal took three replays to get past Liverpool in the Semi Finals. Top managers today would have a fit.

Approx ten years later Arsenal & Liverpool played four replays in the League Cup for the right to meet Oldham. Clubs were still punished then if they fielded a weakened team.

We were involved in one of the longest matches ever. A war time cup game away at Cardiff ended level after 90 minutes. As there was no extra time or penalty shootouts in the rules it was decided to carry on playing till next goal wins. With 3 hours and 22 minutes on the clock Cardiff scored (boo!). Apparently people were allowed to leave the ground to go home for their tea and come back later to watch the rest of the game.

4 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

We were involved in one of the longest matches ever. A war time cup game away at Cardiff ended level after 90 minutes. As there was no extra time or penalty shootouts in the rules it was decided to carry on playing till next goal wins. With 3 hours and 22 minutes on the clock Cardiff scored (boo!). Apparently people were allowed to leave the ground to go home for their tea and come back later to watch the rest of the game.

Wow. They shoot horses don't they?

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Wow. They shoot horses don't they?

The title of one of my favourite records from the 1970s, by Racing Cars.

Late one night a few years ago, I saw on late TV there was a film of the same name, starring Jane Fonda, I think, though I could be wrong - it was a few years ago.

Thinking the Cars record was probably the sound track, l decided to watch it out of curiosity.

The film was crap and there was no appearance of my song!

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The title of one of my favourite records from the 1970s, by Racing Car.

Late one night a few years ago, I saw on late TV there was a film of the same name, starring Jane Fonda, I think, though I could be wrong - it was a few years ago.

Thinking the Cars record was probably the sound track, l decided to watch it out of curiosity.

The film was crap and there was no appearance of my song!

The song (agree, a classic) was inspired by the film. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, weepywall said:

I went to both replays, remember being in a pub called the 7 ways on the Newmarket road, that 5-1 was a shocker, think it was Claridge and Taylor up front for them (or maybe Dublin)