IGNORED

January

daored

Listening to 20msn tonight the January transfer window was brought up in discussion, and it was mentioned three new players would be nice (striker, RWB and a CB).

On the FBC podcast he was mentioned we have headroom of £2/3 million and also require three new players (striker , mild fielder and a right sided player) - so in agreement of two of the players. 

Firstly how accurate is the £2/3 million likely to be our budget (could it be higher?) the gentleman on the podcast was very confident that amount was accurate and that he’d been told were after three players. We obviously have surplus in the squad , Palmer for one which I guess we’ll end up making a loss on, maybe wells (another loss). We need to recruit players to improve the starting 11, too often in the past we’ve purchased ‘squad players’ - are we likely to be able to recruit these players in January, or with the likelihood of us staying in the championship are we likely to wait till the summer where better value potentially ?

38 minutes ago, daored said:

Listening to 20msn tonight the January transfer window was brought up in discussion, and it was mentioned three new players would be nice (striker, RWB and a CB).

On the FBC podcast he was mentioned we have headroom of £2/3 million and also require three new players (striker , mild fielder and a right sided player) - so in agreement of two of the players. 

Firstly how accurate is the £2/3 million likely to be our budget (could it be higher?) the gentleman on the podcast was very confident that amount was accurate and that he’d been told were after three players. We obviously have surplus in the squad , Palmer for one which I guess we’ll end up making a loss on, maybe wells (another loss). We need to recruit players to improve the starting 11, too often in the past we’ve purchased ‘squad players’ - are we likely to be able to recruit these players in January, or with the likelihood of us staying in the championship are we likely to wait till the summer where better value potentially ?

Who mentioned this?

They are all guessing.  Educated guesses perhaps.

Until we see 20/21’s accounts we have no idea.  Even then we don’t know this year’s budget…or how much we’ve been allowed to “exclude” for Covid.

The likes of @Mr Popodopolousand myself have had a stab too, but that’s all it is….our best guess.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Until we see 20/21’s accounts we have no idea.  Even then we don’t know this year’s budget…or how much we’ve been allowed to “exclude” for Covid.

The likes of @Mr Popodopolousand myself have had a stab too, but that’s all it is….our best guess.  

I must admit I found it hard to give a figure until we produce our up to date accounts. Just seeing if the amount stated is accurate as the guy was very confident. I assume any loss on Palmer would count towards future FFP, on the basis as he seems well out of the picture and the emergence of the youngsters?

@Roger Red Hatnot sure a contributor on a forum. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, daored said:

I must admit I found it hard to give a figure until we produce our up to date accounts. Just seeing if the amount stated is accurate as the guy was very confident. I assume any loss on Palmer would count towards future FFP, on the basis as he seems well out of the picture and the emergence of the youngsters?

@Roger Red Hatnot sure a contributor on a forum. 

Ian is very confident about lots of things on FBC…doesn’t mean it’s factual!!!  On 20Man it was Nige Whittle and Jed Begley.  I didn’t listen (will later) so unsure what was said.

FWIW, I also think we have headroom this winter, but it just makes it worse next season.  But I couldn’t put a figure on it.  The 18/19 profit drops off at the end of the current cycle, and that hits us big-time for the cycle ending next season.

I have a feeling we won’t see the accounts til late January for fear of giving our hand away whether we are buying or selling.

If we were to sell Palmer this window, then he’s worth approx £1.25m in the books at that point, so anything less than that will be seen as an impairment and count in this season’s accounts….so we are bringing that cost forward.  Hence why unless we can get a fee, I see a loan as being our best chance of moving him on.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ian is very confident about lots of things on FBC…doesn’t mean it’s factual!!!  On 20Man it was Nige Whittle and Jed Begley.  I didn’t listen (will later) so unsure what was said.

FWIW, I also think we have headroom this winter, but it just makes it worse next season.  But I couldn’t put a figure on it.  The 18/19 profit drops off at the end of the current cycle, and that hits us big-time for the cycle ending next season.

I have a feeling we won’t see the accounts til late January for fear of giving our hand away whether we are buying or selling.

If we were to sell Palmer this window, then he’s worth approx £1.25m in the books at that point, so anything less than that will be seen as an impairment and count in this season’s accounts….so we are bringing that cost forward.  Hence why unless we can get a fee, I see a loan as being our best chance of moving him on.

On 20man it was discussed what was felt we needed - no budget was discussed. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I am not getting my hopes up at all. Suspect any movement at all will be loans and free agents. Possible loans out, possible loans in, and likely from Pearson contacts there. 

TBH given the expected state of the accounts to be published I'm not sure I'd really celebrate a £2m incoming signing.

If £2 million is available, I would expect the major amount circa £1.2m on a striker and the balance on two others, midfield and left back.

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If £2 million is available, I would expect the major amount circa £1.2m on a striker and the balance on two others, midfield and left back.

To clarify: I have absolute no idea what is available. 

Honestly, my opinion would be that this season isn't the one where we should be investing in January. We're looking likely to end up lower mid-table, and aren't in danger of promotion or relegation this season. Given that SL has said that the accounts being published in January will be "horrific" and could show up to £30m in losses, I'd voice caution, keep our powder dry, and make our moves in the less pressurised and less inflated summer market.

Of course if the right loan comes up, or we have the option to take one of Derby's players at a cut-price offer, then we assess that on its merits, but I am not expecting a £1.2m striker coming in.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Whilst it would be nice to strengthen in Jan, I’d prefer that we kept our powder dry until the summer as, as everyone knows, you don’t get value for money in Jan.

I think the only thing which would change that would be if we were in danger of being dragged into a relegation battle - at that point, SL would spend the money available. Right now, I’m confident that we have enough in the squad to get us by this season which for me, is good enough - everyone knows that this season was going to be tough, based on what NP inherited…..Nige can then move onto the next phase of his rebuild at the end of the season

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Whilst it would be nice to strengthen in Jan, I’d prefer that we kept our powder dry until the summer as, as everyone knows, you don’t get value for money in Jan.

I think the only thing which would change that would be if we were in danger of being dragged into a relegation battle - at that point, SL would spend the money available. Right now, I’m confident that we have enough in the squad to get us by this season which for me, is good enough - everyone knows that this season was going to be tough, based on what NP inherited…..Nige can then move onto the next phase of his rebuild at the end of the season

Completely agree 

Maybe a couple of loans to take less of a hit financially but even if we do get rid of some players they won’t be worth a lot so I’m guessing we still won’t have a lot of leeway next summer . 

Although these are financially challenging times, this is also the time to get value for money with the amount of clubs willing to let players that would usually command a fee, go for nothing to clear the wage bill.

First and foremost, we have to remain as financially stable as possible but with the amount of departures we had in the summer, this may have freed up some finances.

If we have money available and can afford to spend a couple of million without too much financial strain, now would be a great time to do it.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

To clarify: I have absolute no idea what is available. 

Honestly, my opinion would be that this season isn't the one where we should be investing in January. We're looking likely to end up lower mid-table, and aren't in danger of promotion or relegation this season. Given that SL has said that the accounts being published in January will be "horrific" and could show up to £30m in losses, I'd voice caution, keep our powder dry, and make our moves in the less pressurised and less inflated summer market.

Of course if the right loan comes up, or we have the option to take one of Derby's players at a cut-price offer, then we assess that on its merits, but I am not expecting a £1.2m striker coming in.

I believe that it will be a very big IF for us to spend that amount in January.

I just have a feeling that we'll have a couple in and one or two out.

In could be similar to Tanner's level of ability and price and out will include Kasey Palmer plus one?

If Cundy and Conway get back to full fitness, that would add another two to the squad. A fully fit Joe Williams would be worth two new coming in.

• Like 4

£1.2M for a striker is a stark reminder of where we are, considering we paid £5M+ for Dhiediou without recouping anything and could face a similar scenario with Wells. What a wonderful state our previous CEO left us in. We were so lucky to have such a wonderful human.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Keep what ever powder we have dry and wait for the Summer.

Continue the formation, team selection and tactics since NP came back from illness and we will survive comfortably.

Don't see the point of panic/expensive purchases in January if this is a 3 year plan.

Nobody is paying money for Palmer, we literally will struggle to give him away in the current financial climate.

My thoughts anyway.

39 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Nobody is paying money for Palmer, we literally will struggle to give him away in the current financial climate.

Suspect the best we can hope with Palmer is that he goes on loan to someone like Blackpool, he plays and does well (a long shot hope perhaps) and then we can sell him for a bit in the summer.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We have had a stab, us and some others Dave- guesswork as you say- I still say that in theory likely we could have a big splurge but the tradeoff would be promotion or bust- and I mean promotion in 2021/22 or bad consequences- Stadium sale and leaseback or Fixed Asset sale and leaseback to balance it out is of course off the table but then we strongly stick to it as a club anyway.

I'd settle for a couple of loanees or maybe if we look like going neither up nor down, try to accelerate some of our summer plans- and even then cost dependent of course.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Suspect the best we can hope with Palmer is that he goes on loan to someone like Blackpool, he plays and does well (a long shot hope perhaps) and then we can sell him for a bit in the summer.

I suspect we will be very happy to "give him away" to save on the wages.

Especially if NP doesn't want him around the group.

Agree with comments above about keeping our powder dry til the summer. At the moment it looks like there is only one relegation place up for grabs and I would back us to pick up more points than Peterborough between now and the end of the season.

The big unknown is how covid will affect football in the coming months. SL has to be aware that at the current rate Omicron is spreading there is a real threat to mass gatherings being banned and stadiums closed again.

With Palmer the only way he will leave is similar to Nagy. Released on a free if someone will pick up his wages, or we subsidise those wages to ease his departure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I suspect we will be very happy to "give him away" to save on the wages.

Especially if NP doesn't want him around the group.

If we have to give him away as @Davefevshas indicated that would wipe out the suggested budget on the books. Amortisation and all that....  :(