IGNORED

Lee Johnson's man management

1960maaan

On 17/12/2021 at 09:53, REDOXO said:

No I meant the bringing in of a nutritionist talking about crisps and chocolate and Tomlin telling the team how good they all were. It’s on the Wilbo interview it was hilarious!

Tomlin was taking the piss and LJ had no idea how to handle it was/is the sub-text! Wilbo even said I wouldn’t say anything here that I wouldn’t say to Tomo’s face. There is loads more particularly Wilbo approaching LJ about mobile phone use at training!

you should go find it it’s one of the best if not the best podcast interview of one of our best professionals!

How did you get so angry? 

Yeah - got a link to Wilbs interview please?

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... a ‘wise one’ would know the ‘premiership’ is in Scotland and no such entity has existed in England for over 13 years ...

Ah - good one - avoiding the question on a technicality - better than pointing out that some people don't like LJ at Sunderland - which was nothing to do with the question.

I think there must be some aspiring politicians on here by the lengths some people will go to dodging questions and publicly acknowledging the simple truth that NOBODY has taken us closer to the English Premier League since Alan Dicks than the Johnsons.  

11 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Ah - good one - avoiding the question on a technicality - better than pointing out that some people don't like LJ at Sunderland - which was nothing to do with the question.

I think there must be some aspiring politicians on here by the lengths some people will go to dodging questions and publicly acknowledging the simple truth that NOBODY has taken us closer to the English Premier League since Alan Dicks than the Johnsons.  

Apologies, I know I was being a bit flippant - but yours is a very interesting debate, Gary and Lee Johnson have given us a bit of a hope when we’ve been in the championship, tempered with lots of despair. Gary obviously very nearly got us up to the premier league - just one game away, what a season that was - it was also a strange season, we seemed to win 1-0 lots of times before getting the occasional thrashing - and our top scorer was in single figures, is that correct?

And what is it with LJ and the league cup??! I noticed earlier that Sunderland are in the quarter finals vs Arsenal? 

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies, I know I was being a bit flippant - but yours is a very interesting debate, Gary and Lee Johnson have given us a bit of a hope when we’ve been in the championship, tempered with lots of despair. Gary obviously very nearly got us up to the premier league - just one game away, what a season that was - it was also a strange season, we seemed to win 1-0 lots of times before getting the occasional thrashing - and our top scorer was in single figures, is that correct?

And what is it with LJ and the league cup??! I noticed earlier that Sunderland are in the quarter finals vs Arsenal? 

Darren Byfield with 9 goals I think. 

• Like 2

On 18/12/2021 at 22:37, mozo said:

On Lee Johnson... We surely have to accept the possibility that we would be in a better position had we not sacked him.

Let that sink in. It is very possible that we would be playing better football and winning more games under LJ in the almost 2 years since he left.

Sadly that is a distinct possibility.

On 19/12/2021 at 18:14, ZiderEyed said:

Woke central ???

Answer is that you need more than a glorified drill sergeant. Archaic autocratic coaching styles have more or less evaporated because they are completely useless coaching younger players. All current academic research on coaching and learning processes says that the personality and style of a coach needs to mesh with a player. A generation of footballers who don't want to be shouted at unnessecarily? You need to adapt or you'll die off.

Move with the times or be consigned to the dustbin of history. 

This is spot on but you will not convince the masses.

12 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not being pedantic or getting in the middle of whatever punch up your having with anyone. BUT the thread was about Lee Johnson’s man management. 

For the record Gary is a top bloke still got a picture of him and my old man 11years ago before he passed away. 

Lee I’m sure is a lovely guy. But some of the questions about his man management stem from comments from his former players. 

Edited by REDOXO

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No problem with your response mate and if I’m honest I’m playing a bit of a ‘fishing’ game with the LJ-haters hoping for a bite. 
However, my serious response to the original post about LJs (alleged lack of) man-management skills was to point out that IMHO he couldn’t have been THAT bad when he gave us the longest continuous championship status since Alan Dicks and a brilliant cup run. 
My point was that if he really was THAT bad the players wouldn’t have given that to him. 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Not being pedantic or getting in the middle of whatever punch up your having with anyone. BUT the thread was about Lee Johnson’s man management. 

For the record Gary is a top bloke still got a picture of him and my old man 11years ago before he passed away. 

Lee I’m sure is a lovely guy. But some of the questions about his man management stem from comments from his former players. 

No ‘punch up’

‘Wind up’ maybe!!

Please see my response to BS4 On Tour above. 

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words

On 18/12/2021 at 00:28, bcfcredandwhite said:

.. and both took us closer to achieving top flight football again than any other manager since the great Alan Dicks

Perhaps SL should name a stand 'The Johnson Stand' in recognition of the services that family have given the club? ?

You having a laugh ?

images (1).jpeg

Edited by bpexile

On 20/12/2021 at 09:55, bcfcredandwhite said:

And both of them left our playing side in a total utter mess. Like father like son, both football, gamblers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

This Frankie Fielding/LJ was a bad man manager bit...

Keeper gets injured, replacement comes in and does well, and it's likely the replacement will keep the role, hardly the fault of LJ to point out to FF that he might not get straight back in the side.

As for the cup games, LS did really well all competition - especially against Utd, he can probably feel annoyed he never got to play the Man City game.

Sounds (to me) that FF considered himself number one. Great that he wanted to play as much as possible, but with another senior player in his position on the bench, not being in in the side was always going to make reclaiming the starting role difficult.