IGNORED

BIG MATCH REVISITED

pillred

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember going into HT 1-0, we were singing "HiHo HiHo we are the City boys" and it was so loud (probably as the rest of the crowd was quieter) it echoed round the stadium. It was so weird we all stopped ?

Was one of the few times I felt like crying at a game. That close and we lose. Wasn't it renegade Ginger member of the hair bear bunch that got 2, Wallace ?

Ian Wallace, Pretty sure he was a thorn in our side when at Coventry too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Southampton v Everton to start with. How did Southampton afford Keegan, Dave Watson and later Shilton and others on crowds no bigger than we got (76 - 80) in a poorer ground than AG and both maintain top class football and avoid financial meltdown?

24000 the crowd for this cup tie.

If Richard Latham wasn't quite so nice/"wet" perhaps he might a proper meaty book about this era and what really happened and went wrong. A way more interesting era than the SL dull-fest for two decades. There's a story in this that hasn't really been told.

The same way as City managed to sign ex England internationals such as Joe Royle and Norman Hunter.  Players were paid peanuts compared to todays salaries 

Edited by pongo88

5 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Great kit, the sky blue version was the same the great Minehead ( my home town) side of the time wore.

Minehead (a) coupled with a weekend trip to Somerwest World (Butlins).  So pleased the manager came up to me on Friday night in the bar and said “Fevs, you’re on the bench tomorrow, enjoy your beers tonight”.  One of my mates got the same message, whilst the other got bad news he starting!

Im sure you’ve seen this before:

image.thumb.jpeg.238731f9ceb3b7cd942695ddda19b5d3.jpeg

Andy Leitch was my dad’s apprentice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The same way as City managed to sign ex England internationals such as Joe Royal and Norman Hunter.  Players were paid peanuts compared to todays salaries 

Punters paid peanuts to get in. Don't worry writing the book (Southampton spent the 80s in the 1st division incidentally, on meagre and dwindling crowds, and avoided liquidation as far as I recall. How so?) Bit more research and digging needed, methinks 

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Minehead (a) coupled with a weekend trip to Somerwest World (Butlins).  So pleased the manager came up to me on Friday night in the bar and said “Fevs, you’re on the bench tomorrow, enjoy your beers tonight”.  One of my mates got the same message, whilst the other got bad news he starting!

Im sure you’ve seen this before:

image.thumb.jpeg.238731f9ceb3b7cd942695ddda19b5d3.jpeg

Andy Leitch was my dad’s apprentice.

Brilliant, great memories. Andy Leitch was a bit of a hero as I was a lanky awkward teenager who played up front. Sadly I was never as good as he was.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Punters paid peanuts to get in. Don't worry writing the book (Southampton spent the 80s in the 1st division incidentally, on meagre and dwindling crowds, and avoided liquidation as far as I recall. How so?) Bit more research and digging needed, methinks 

A bit more research - when Joe Royle joined Bristol City from Man City he received a pay rise! City could easily afford players such as Royle, Hunter and Peter Cormack even though the supporters didn’t pay much to attend. It started to go wrong after relegation when gates dropped drastically but City was still paying first division salaries due to the players 10 year contracts 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A bit more research - when Joe Royle joined Bristol City from Man City he received a pay rise! City could easily afford players such as Royle, Hunter and Peter Cormack even though the supporters didn’t pay much to attend. It started to go wrong after relegation when gates dropped drastically but City was still paying first division salaries due to the players 10 year contracts 

Who was on a 10 year contract other than Clive? 

18 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've only got to see those two words and the tunes gets stuck in my head.

Da da da dada dada da dada da dada da dada da da da

:laugh:

Ah, nostalgia.

I still yearn for "diddly diddly dee, diddly diddly dee" with James Alexander Gordon.

• Like 1