IGNORED

Half season review with Chris Honor and Gregor MacGregor

headhunter

In these latest episodes of the FBC Podcast DaveP speaks with Chris & Gregor who each give their typically candidate assessment of City's season so far, look forward to the new year and transfer window speculation.

It's by no means all doom & gloom and Gregor didn't dismiss DaveP's fantasy transfer window signing!

Chris: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-y55x4-115e5e3

Gregor: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/half-season-review-with-gregor-macgregor/

Also available on Spotify & Google Podcasts

• Like 3

I had an embarrassing encounter with Honor back in the late 1980s. 

Mrs R&W and I arrived home one evening after a night on the p!55 to find our 17-year-old female lodger sat with a young chap in our lounge. I didn't really look at him properly and my mind was elsewhere (unwrapping a dirty doner probably) when he was introduced, so I misheard, but I clocked the name 'Honor'.
I asked him 'Oh, do you know Chris Honor then?' after which there was an awkward silence before he replied 'Er - I AM Chris Honor..'!

Awkward!!!

I didn't see him in our house again. 

• Haha 15

52 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I had an embarrassing encounter with Honor back in the late 1980s. 

Mrs R&W and I arrived home one evening after a night on the p!55 to find our 17-year-old female lodger sat with a young chap in our lounge. I didn't really look at him properly and my mind was elsewhere (unwrapping a dirty doner probably) when he was introduced, so I misheard, but I clocked the name 'Honor'.
I asked him 'Oh, do you know Chris Honor then?' after which there was an awkward silence before he replied 'Er - I AM Chris Honor..'!

Awkward!!!

I didn't see him in our house again. 

Honor’s even.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, headhunter said:

In these latest episodes of the FBC Podcast DaveP speaks with Chris & Gregor who each give their typically candidate assessment of City's season so far, look forward to the new year and transfer window speculation.

It's by no means all doom & gloom and Gregor didn't dismiss DaveP's fantasy transfer window signing!

Chris: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-y55x4-115e5e3

Gregor: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/half-season-review-with-gregor-macgregor/

Also available on Spotify & Google Podcasts

Good listen David, thank you.

Looking forwarding to catching up again; and being able to contribute to future podcasts ?.

Yes Simpson hasn’t worked out on the pitch. 

However the simple truth is we have to get the Ashton/Johnson left overs off the books somehow at least partially.  That’s a given. Palmer and Desilva are just a waste of a wage and so is Wells if he never gets more than 15 minutes. 

Also don’t forget The rest of them that have not been resigned since the summer. Can you imagine Weimann and Baker thinking that FFS EVERYONE earns more than we do. 

The bloody club is a total mess. Massengo is simply not very good. I know that’s an unpopular view but every time I see his name my guts roll over. As was said in the interview The boy is lost and simply doesn’t track properly. But that’s what we have right now and the hope he might get better. At least he got a shot off on Saturday. 

Vyner gets abused on here that I think is substantially undeserved but either way he must be on a bloody fortune compared to most of us. The lists go on and on. 

We are not very good due to pouring money down the toilet on transfers and wages on the whim of the bloke paying the bills assisted by the dynamic DNA duo and the money has dried up!

The only thing that I feel has resonance is the constant playing of Martin. Unlike many on here I think he puts in a shift, but we are one dimensional! If I were a manager I would say to my players…..We press there center backs and two central midfielders eventually they will pass back to the keeper because they don’t trust each other or are not very good and wait for the punt upfield! That’s exactly what Luton will do on Saturday! 

But that’s what we have right now. Maybe we have a transfer or two up our sleeve IHOPE!

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes Simpson hasn’t worked out on the pitch. 

However the simple truth is we have to get the Ashton/Johnson left overs off the books somehow at least partially.  That’s a given. Palmer and Desilva are just a waste of a wage and so is Wells if he never gets more than 15 minutes. 

Also don’t forget The rest of them that have not been resigned since the summer. Can you imagine Weimann and Baker thinking that FFS EVERYONE earns more than we do. 

The bloody club is a total mess. Massengo is simply not very good. I know that’s an unpopular view but every time I see his name my guts roll over. As was said in the interview The boy is lost and simply doesn’t track properly. But that’s what we have right now and the hope he might get better. At least he got a shot off on Saturday. 

Vyner gets abused on here that I think is substantially undeserved but either way he must be on a bloody fortune compared to most of us. The lists go on and on. 

We are not very good due to pouring money down the toilet on transfers and wages on the whim of the bloke paying the bills assisted by the dynamic DNA duo and the money has dried up!

The only thing that I feel has resonance is the constant playing of Martin. Unlike many on here I think he puts in a shift, but we are one dimensional! If I were a manager I would say to my players…..We press there center backs and two central midfielders eventually they will pass back to the keeper because they don’t trust each other or are not very good and wait for the punt upfield! That’s exactly what Luton will do on Saturday! 

But that’s what we have right now. Maybe we have a transfer or two up our sleeve IHOPE!

So Simpson hasn 't worked out on the pitch?........where else has he worked out, in the car park?   Massengo has not been coached well, but for me as 20 year old still learning the game, is doing just fine, considering who he plays alongside?   Martin has been flogged to death, and I feel sorry for him, as he is badly utlised, and has no one with any pace, up until now to play together with?    Just Hope Nige's next 10 months are an improvement on the last 10?....although to a degree his hands have been tied, he has not made the best use of the available players, and still struggles to pick players in their best positions.  He often contradicts himself, and for a manager who spent his whole career playing   in a defensive unit, he seems to have little idea how to set up a cohesive defensive formation?   If I was to give him a mid term report...it would be a 5 out of 10  IMHO.

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

So Simpson hasn 't worked out on the pitch?........where else has he worked out, in the car park?   Massengo has not been coached well, but for me as 20 year old still learning the game, is doing just fine, considering who he plays alongside?   Martin has been flogged to death, and I feel sorry for him, as he is badly utlised, and has no one with any pace, up until now to play together with?    Just Hope Nige's next 10 months are an improvement on the last 10?....although to a degree his hands have been tied, he has not made the best use of the available players, and still struggles to pick players in their best positions.  He often contradicts himself, and for a manager who spent his whole career playing   in a defensive unit, he seems to have little idea how to set up a cohesive defensive formation?   If I was to give him a mid term report...it would be a 5 out of 10  IMHO.

Your first comment I don’t know where else Simpson has worked out or not worked out. Please text call email Nigel Pearson. However it’s clear he hasn’t worked out on the pitch. 

Massengo is a stop gap that we use in stead of Williams or King or James. He is not that good but we are forced to play him, particularly as Bakinson is so languid. 

The last ten months have been spent dumping the dross signed by the previous regime supported by Steve Lansdown and his son. 

He picks what he’s got available to build a side for the future while putting them alongside more seasoned professionals to bring them along. 

Coehisive defensive formation would typically be depending on players being fit. Not a lot of luxury there. What he’s trying to do is pick around what he has available. Which he does and bring in youngsters trying to adapt them into different roles for the future. 

If I were to give him a mid term report I’d say he’s got no money, high wages, possible future FFP issues, players that have wanted away since Holden took over and has been left to answer for the bullshit of Ashton a myriad of Lansdown’s, LJ and to a lesser extent Holden. While trying to build a team or a squad out of our own academy and a couple of lower league buys. 

That is where we are and no amount of frustration changes that!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Glad you enjoyed the ones so far.

Just uploaded one with Richard Latham - makes for a good listen IMHO!

Really interesting about his belief we will have a points deduction in due course due to breach of FFP, and likely to be no incomings in January 

I thought Honor spoke well,I didn’t agree with everything he said but it’s about opinions & it is good to listen to someone who played the game & is obviously a fan.

Could have done without the interviewer repeatedly interrupting him to put his point of view across though & what was going on with the volume level? Couldn’t hear the question a few times.

Interesting that when asked to pick his strongest 11 Honor only changed Martin for Wells with what NP has available..

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Chris Honor said when doing commentary on one game on Robins TV that we were by far the better team against Birmingham! ?

Haven’t listened yet, but when I listen to Honor on BBCRB, I don’t hold him at the same level as Owers, who I think is v.good.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Your first comment I don’t know where else Simpson has worked out or not worked out. Please text call email Nigel Pearson. However it’s clear he hasn’t worked out on the pitch. 

Massengo is a stop gap that we use in stead of Williams or King or James. He is not that good but we are forced to play him, particularly as Bakinson is so languid. 

The last ten months have been spent dumping the dross signed by the previous regime supported by Steve Lansdown and his son. 

He picks what he’s got available to build a side for the future while putting them alongside more seasoned professionals to bring them along. 

Coehisive defensive formation would typically be depending on players being fit. Not a lot of luxury there. What he’s trying to do is pick around what he has available. Which he does and bring in youngsters trying to adapt them into different roles for the future. 

If I were to give him a mid term report I’d say he’s got no money, high wages, possible future FFP issues, players that have wanted away since Holden took over and has been left to answer for the bullshit of Ashton a myriad of Lansdown’s, LJ and to a lesser extent Holden. While trying to build a team or a squad out of our own academy and a couple of lower league buys. 

That is where we are and no amount of frustration changes that!

Oh well we will have to agree to disagree?     Massengo (20    years old) will one day play in the Premiership........he just needs better players around him?  If  your a quality manager, you don't moan and make snide remarks, you make the very best of whats available ( @  See Steve Cooper Notts Forest)   I am gradually of the opinion that Nige is all talk and little action, and i would have no problem if he left tomorrow.    He has the Jan Window to change my mind.....if he  has not built up sufficient contacts after his time in the game, to recruit a couple or so loans to bolster our squad, then i will be very disappointed?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Oh well we will have to agree to disagree?     Massengo (20    years old) will one day play in the Premiership........he just needs better players around him?  If  your a quality manager, you don't moan and make snide remarks, you make the very best of whats available ( @  See Steve Cooper Notts Forest)   I am gradually of the opinion that Nige is all talk and little action, and i would have no problem if he left tomorrow.    He has the Jan Window to change my mind.....if he  has not built up sufficient contacts after his time in the game, to recruit a couple or so loans to bolster our squad, then i will be very disappointed?

Whether we make any January signings and how much we have to spend is very little to do with Nige.

Personally, I would  have a problem if Nige left.  However, no chance he will unless he walks because of no transfer support.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Finances will dictate.  Gould has said they are trying to bring forward summer plans.  If some of those plans were because players are gonna be OOC in the summer then that doesn’t mean you can get them in January.  A loan can be just as expensive / more expensive than a proper signing…more so if we are looking for a PL loanee to make us better.

I sense a very tough Jan window, a frustrating one for fans especially.

Lets hope not though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Finances will dictate.  Gould has said they are trying to bring forward summer plans.  If some of those plans were because players are gonna be OOC in the summer then that doesn’t mean you can get them in January.  A loan can be just as expensive / more expensive than a proper signing…more so if we are looking for a PL loanee to make us better.

I sense a very tough Jan window, a frustrating one for fans especially.

Lets hope not though.

I agree , we’ve discussed this before but if people are expecting us to spend 2,3 or even 4 million this they’ll be disappointed. We’ve got players on good deals who will cost money to move on. We’re a ******* mess and personally think the Lansdowns have questions as to how they’ve allowed this to happen 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Yes agree to disagree. I’m hoping Massengo gets picked up by a bigger club sooner rather than later as we need the money and he’ll get those better players you think he needs. 

Saying he plays what’s available is not snide it’s a fact. Pretty much the only player that has been uninjured and available this season is Martin, so I don’t think it’s a stretch he’s playing every week, however I would play Wells for a couple of games. Nevertheless if the rumors are true that Wells is out of the door in January as there have been enquirers then I expect his ass to stay firmly on the bench as will Disilva’s I guess. 

Yes Pearson made a big thing about not bringing in loans particularly if he can bring through from our own academy, but with Williams King Cundy Baker and odowda all still no shows/season long/career ending injuries I reckon it’s inevitable. 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Yes agree to disagree. I’m hoping Massengo gets picked up by a bigger club sooner rather than later as we need the money and he’ll get those better players you think he needs. 

Saying he plays what’s available is not snide it’s a fact. Pretty much the only player that has been uninjured and available this season is Martin, so I don’t think it’s a stretch he’s playing every week, however I would play Wells for a couple of games. Nevertheless if the rumors are true that Wells is out of the door in January as there have been enquirers then I expect his ass to stay firmly on the bench as will Disilva’s I guess. 

Yes Pearson made a big thing about not bringing in loans particularly if he can bring through from our own academy, but with Williams King Cundy Baker and odowda all still no shows/season long/career ending injuries I reckon it’s inevitable. 

Yep........Baker, probably finished, which i am truly sorry about.  King, Past it.  Williams, O Dowda, and Cundy seemingly injury prone?  We don;t have much luck?   So surely if he can unload a couple of high earners, we might, just might,  get some loan recruits?  Pearson needs to change his outlook on loan signings.........as there are a number of other Championship sides benefitting from loans?

27 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep........Baker, probably finished, which i am truly sorry about.  King, Past it.  Williams, O Dowda, and Cundy seemingly injury prone?  We don;t have much luck?   So surely if he can unload a couple of high earners, we might, just might,  get some loan recruits?  Pearson needs to change his outlook on loan signings.........as there are a number of other Championship sides benefitting from loans?

I agree. But unloading is a function of a willing buyer and a willing seller. With the wage some are earning, which clearly won’t be matched, why would they leave unless they are desperate to play, which I think might be the case with Wells!

That leaves loans and again that is a function of who wants whoever that may be available. This will likely mean even if there are clubs that want our players City will likely be left paying some of the wage. 

Couple this with the almost certainty that the players have no transfer value no matter what, you can begin to see the pickle the club (Pearson) is in. 

Utter mess from where I am. Have you got anyone in mind to loan in? From my perspective we need a ball winning central midfielder. And in view of Baker, Cundy being out and The boy from Oxford coming back from illness a center half. And a forward particularly if Wells goes. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Listened to the Richard Latham one earlier.  Really good listen, interesting views from RL.  Thanks DP.  We go again ???

Absolutely- I did so last night, Latham is as good as it gets on City for me, knows the history, understands the club & seems much more prepared to criticise constructively than many.

Don’t necessarily agree with him re LJ but he’s spot on in many cases.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Listened to the Richard Latham one earlier.  Really good listen, interesting views from RL.  Thanks DP.  We go again ???

Yep i was pleased to hear some forceful opinion, especially about  our full backs,  a ball winning or  creative midfielder,  and our  seemingly urgent need to sell any player who shows a modicum of ability, to  the first club that bids for them?   i did think he was a little over dramatic regarding FFP?    There are a host of other clubs in a far worse position than us?   And finally his strong defence of our benefactor Steve L.  It   is beyond my comprehension, when i read some of the comments regarding Steve on here,  because as RL states, without him we would probably be in the same position as the Gas?  OK he has made a few mistakes with recruitment, but the infa -structure  that he has put in place, the training centre, stadium etc are all down to him, and his legacy..........which idiots seem to ignore?    Without SL......we would be truly screwed!  Ha!   Merry Xmas 

• Like 5