IGNORED

Festive local football

Wealwayseatcheese

8 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Went to watch Larkhall v Paulton. Larks won 2-1. Decent game on an old fashioned cutting up type pitch. Just saw on Twitter Frome v Melksham has a crowd of 1100 this afternoon, fantastic crowd for the level and shows local non league football is becoming ever more popular.

Melksham 2 up n all last I heard 

Yate Town currently 3-0 up at Merthyr. This will move them into the playoffs with games in hand on many of the teams around them. Top of the table looks beyond them, but this would (I think) represent Yates highest position and allow them a shot at making Conference South.

Probably one of the smallest clubs in the Southern League. What with the cup run, this has been one hell of a season.

• Like 6

Well ain’t long back home , great win for Manor Farm 3-0. Never really looked in doubt after the first went in . Great crowd too, was surely more than the 347 that has been put out?? too many gas there aswell, perhaps eyeing up a move to a stadium with 4 permanent structures , one on each side.  Cans of Dry Blackthorn were a delight and the dulcet tones of Tony the Scarecrow filling the air were a joy to behold. New Years Day will bring another local adventure ?❤️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Natchlander said:

I have been going to Bridgwater United last few months. Impressed with the direction they are going and crowd numbers are growing. 

I watched them yesterday, you wouldn’t have been impressed!!.

Shepton Mallet did a ‘job’ on them and they had no answers, except completely losing their discipline.

Bridgwater aren’t going anywhere until they change their management and coaching team.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

If you see where we come from you know why we are here – Melksham kiddies.

Used to be some proper Lads coming from Melksham and Trowbridge who managed to put a side windmilling the opposing towns inhabitants to get along and watch City.

Good to see rubber towns team doing well.

Question what happened to Trowbridge Town FC?

My hometown and it's a pretty sad sight to see many of the other local Towns have decent sides (Melksham, Frome, Chippenham) whilst Trowbridge Town barely beat their Reserve sides.

They went out of business in the 1990s and had to move out of their old ground on Frome Road and now play on an old farmers field by North Bradley. 

The Town itself is not the most glamorous but could do with some of the funding Melksham have had in their Football club.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

My hometown and it's a pretty sad sight to see many of the other local Towns have decent sides (Melksham, Frome, Chippenham) whilst Trowbridge Town barely beat their Reserve sides.

They went out of business in the 1990s and had to move out of their old ground on Frome Road and now play on an old farmers field by North Bradley. 

The Town itself is not the most glamorous but could do with some of the funding Melksham have had in their Football club.

Years back used to work with a Trowbridge player.

Watched them first round of the FA cup lost one nil ... They were conference (?) with John Freeguard up top.

Went out with the players in the town with my mate telling players I had played with him.

True five a side.

I was a half decent player.

Hopeless outrageous lie.

Anyway they were top lads.

Order used to be summat like Trowbridge - Chipnumb - Melksham/Frome,

Then Bradford /Devizes /Westbury.

What division they in now?

Edited by Sixtyseconds

5 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Watched them first round of the FA cup lost one nil ... They were conference (?) with John Freeguard up top.

Went out with the players in the town with my mate telling players I played with him.

True.

Hopeless outrageous lie.

Freeguard and Lardner were prolific at Chippenham, remember losing 3-1 at their place in the FA Vase.

53 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Went out with the players in the town with my mate telling players I had played with him.

True five a side.

Hopeless outrageous lie.

County prem league I think

Which will be 1 below Western League div 1, counting down from football league would be Division 11

54 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

True five a side.

Hopeless outrageous lie.

Trowbridge are below all of them now I think.. Currently in the Wiltshire League, a fall from grace from their Conference days in the 1980s

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

I watched Trowbridge Town a few times in the late 60’s. Only because my dad was a referee.

I will never forget the name Archie Thornburn the Trowbridge striker, as a 7-8 year old kid at the time I just thought he was class! 

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

I work with the Trowbridge manager. Apparently can't progress at the moment as can't install floodlights due to it being on a Bat corridor!! 

Gone are the dizzy heights of topping the conference league albeit for only a couple of weeks and crowds of 3500 for a FA Vase semi final. I even travelled to Guiseley to watch them in the return leg of that. Some cracking games at the old Frome road ground in the 70's and 80's. 

4 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Melksham set up at Oakfields is an eye opener for that level clubs serious about youth football but a bit out of the town though. Worth a visit. Frome is a lovely little ground and town to visit.

My son plays for a Melksham youth team so although he is City through and through he went to watch the match at Frome today. I went to pick him up and walked in with ten minutes to go. Cracking game and atmosphere. There's definitely life in non league. Over 1000 at that level is brilliant.  Brings back memories of our lower league days in the 80's of freezing cold nights stood on the East End.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

True five a side.

Hopeless outrageous lie.

Never quite made the 1st round, lost 1-0 at Newport iow in 4th qualifier, think that's the one u mean?

Season or 2 before took Martin O'Neil s Wycombe to replay (3rdor4th qual) losing in 97th minute.

Frome Road under John Murphy (88 to 93?) was the best value £3 you could spend. Loud and colourful crowds,  4 2 4 attacking with the fittest team about. 

Freeguard was key man in that team often. Adie Harris, Mark Adams(from Larkhall?) Danny Iddles (from Yate), Paul Rose, Nigel Tripp, Marcus Bray and too briefly Dave Dennison, brother of Wolves' Robbie. Jeff Meacham, Graham Withey brief spells.

Saw Mark Lawrenson as pl/man of Corby, and Alan Brazil scored for Bury St Edmonds as pl/man but lost 5-1.

Murphy left when he saw no progress off field and it was a slow inevitable death after that including a season or 2 with Twerton as home ground. They had a great deal with Beazer Homes, their sponsor, who would purchase current & build new ground. Nothing like that happens in Trowbridge, tescos blocked Sainsburys buying ground it's now houses 

90-91 season promotion from Southern to Premier (2nd) Vase semi final defeat to Guiseley & league Cup semi final. In April they played around 20 games. 2 subs then. 

One of first games in Premier League we beat Burton Albion 9-0. They had to wear our white kit. 

Watched the likes of Crawley, Rushden, Cheltenham at Frome Road. They went one way, we went the opposite.

Happy, happy days though

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

Never quite made the 1st round, lost 1-0 at Newport iow in 4th qualifier, think that's the one u mean?

Season or 2 before took Martin O'Neil s Wycombe to replay (3rdor4th qual) losing in 97th minute.

Frome Road under John Murphy (88 to 93?) was the best value £3 you could spend. Loud and colourful crowds,  4 2 4 attacking with the fittest team about. 

Freeguard was key man in that team often. Adie Harris, Mark Adams(from Larkhall?) Danny Iddles (from Yate), Paul Rose, Nigel Tripp, Marcus Bray and too briefly Dave Dennison, brother of Wolves' Robbie. Jeff Meacham, Graham Withey brief spells.

Saw Mark Lawrenson as pl/man of Corby, and Alan Brazil scored for Bury St Edmonds as pl/man but lost 5-1.

Murphy left when he saw no progress off field and it was a slow inevitable death after that including a season or 2 with Twerton as home ground. They had a great deal with Beazer Homes, their sponsor, who would purchase current & build new ground. Nothing like that happens in Trowbridge, tescos blocked Sainsburys buying ground it's now houses 

90-91 season promotion from Southern to Premier (2nd) Vase semi final defeat to Guiseley & league Cup semi final. In April they played around 20 games. 2 subs then. 

One of first games in Premier League we beat Burton Albion 9-0. They had to wear our white kit. 

Watched the likes of Crawley, Rushden, Cheltenham at Frome Road. They went one way, we went the opposite.

Happy, happy days though

I know Freegard was up top.

Paul Rose magnificent perm?  

Twas at Frome Road.

Behind the goal people passed lager cider spirits  through the holes of the corrugated fence.

Trowbridge didnt score .. I know that much.

Edited by Sixtyseconds
  • Like 1