IGNORED

Festive local football

Wealwayseatcheese

7 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Bath City v Chippenham Town on Sunday. As a Bath born and bred lad, I feel compelled. Its been hyped up as the A4 Derby (why not), but prices are:

Grandstand tickets – Adult £15, Senior £12, Student/U18 £9, U16 £5
Terrace* tickets – Adult £14, Senior £11, Student/U18 £8, U16 £3
Family tickets (Terrace) – 2 Adult, 2 U16 – £28 – Save £6

I went to the reverse fixture Sunday, was men against boys (almost literally, Chippenham are a young side)

Never a 4-1 game really, 2 breakaway goals in the last 5 mins while Chippenham chased the game. It was a bit feisty and there was a red for a second yellow that looked a dive, so expecting a good game Sunday

Ive chosen it over City as we’re making a day of it with the football team

7 hours ago, Nbafc said:

Rosey was an an immaculate old school centre half, greased up perm, great in the air, scored a goal or 2 but excellent captain who organised well I wouldn't have wanted to be on the wrong end of one of his rollickings. Nigel was a great foil, shorter & stockier, quieter but read the game ever so well. They may both still be on the tools too! I bet . I remember them being ever present for seasons also

Gather Melksham have done well but not a club I hold interest in. Chippenham went up a level or 2? And have stayed up? They were the old Great Mills prem, with Melksham, Devizes, Calne etc below. Both have achieved as the facility standard jump from Western to Southern was difficult let alone the standard. 

More or less what I expected to hear of them! As a CB myself I always enjoyed what Rosey had to say, it was usually a bollocking mind - the sort of guy who would still have something to say if you went in 3-0 up ?

Chippenham have done well to stay up to be fair. They seemed to be having a rocky season from some of their results, but currently 6th and had they beaten bath they’d be 3/4th. They’ve done well to improve the facilities as best they can, new much bigger clubhouse. Seats in the stand behind the goal, bigger car park now too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

More or less what I expected to hear of them! As a CB myself I always enjoyed what Rosey had to say, it was usually a bollocking mind - the sort of guy who would still have something to say if you went in 3-0 up ?

Chippenham have done well to stay up to be fair. They seemed to be having a rocky season from some of their results, but currently 6th and had they beaten bath they’d be 3/4th. They’ve done well to improve the facilities as best they can, new much bigger clubhouse. Seats in the stand behind the goal, bigger car park now too.

Exactly! He played at Lords with Goatacre too in the Village final - top sportsman 

14 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Played under Paul Rose (well he was a coach) and Trippy at Chippenham, what were they like as players? Rosey always came across hard as nails, wouldn’t answer him back if he had a pop.

What Melksham have done is brilliant, can’t personally bring myself to support them as I’m a Chippenham boy through family. Most of my school year were part of that Melksham side a few years ago that won the league but couldn’t go up, then eventually got promotion. Some very good players at that level, and majority of the squad were Melksham lads. Only downside was it was a bit clique, but most clubs are.

The ownership used to try and insist on using local lads, Its lost its “home grown” feel a little now they’ve moved away from that model but still some talented young lads there. The youth setup is something special too, and facilities are brilliant.

I played with Paul Rose briefly. Aggressive, good in the air and vocal. His hair didn't compliment hard. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2021 at 10:10, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Yeah enjoy watching them these days, try to play the right way and a very young team. There is one lad that plays centre back that has just been selected for England schoolboys under 18 squad.

A City connection at Paulton too, their young keeper signed after being released by City and is part of City's U18 & U23 goalkeeper coaching set-up. You're right, a young team and good to see a team at this level try and play out from the back.

2 minutes ago, Coach said:

A City connection at Paulton too, their young keeper signed after being released by City and is part of City's U18 & U23 goalkeeper coaching set-up. You're right, a young team and good to see a team at this level try and play out from the back.

Yeah good lad is Aaron. Know that he coaches the academy keepers. Hopefully Paultons pitch doesn't start cutting up which historically it has tended to. The young centre back, Joe, is worth keeping an eye on.