IGNORED

Festive local football

Wealwayseatcheese

18 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I watched them yesterday, you wouldn’t have been impressed!!.

Shepton Mallet did a ‘job’ on them and they had no answers, except completely losing their discipline.

Bridgwater aren’t going anywhere until they change their management and coaching team.

Was there as well, Bill, and 100% agree with your comment. Taylor could have gone for his lunge right on the touchline by me, then kicked the ball away, then got involved in a dugout scuffle.... he seemed hell bent on getting himself an early bath. 

The co-owner Adam Murry was there yesterday; hugely ambitious to the point of being unrealistic IMO. Reckons he will get Bridgwater into League Two within seven years. 

• Thanks 1

After Shepton Mallet v Bridgwater on Boxing Day, went to Longwell Green v Oldland Abbotonians yesterday, second visit to the new 3G pitch at Shellards Road. Crowd of 756, swelled by a few postponements around, could have been even more but Brislington & Bristol Telephones got their games on.

Cracking game, well, cracking second half really. O's were 1-0 up at half time, suddenly found themselves 3-1 down by the hour mark. O's roared back with two goals to equalise before ex-Oldland Zac Feltham scored an 89th minute winner. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

After Shepton Mallet v Bridgwater on Boxing Day, went to Longwell Green v Oldland Abbotonians yesterday, second visit to the new 3G pitch at Shellards Road. Crowd of 756, swelled by a few postponements around, could have been even more but Brislington & Bristol Telephones got their games on.

Cracking game, well, cracking second half really. O's were 1-0 up at half time, suddenly found themselves 3-1 down by the hour mark. O's roared back with two goals to equalise before ex-Oldland Zac Feltham scored an 89th minute winner. 

756? They love an inflated Boxing Day crowd down there  

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
Dodgy emoji appeared
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Was there as well, Bill, and 100% agree with your comment. Taylor could have gone for his lunge right on the touchline by me, then kicked the ball away, then got involved in a dugout scuffle.... he seemed hell bent on getting himself an early bath. 

The co-owner Adam Murry was there yesterday; hugely ambitious to the point of being unrealistic IMO. Reckons he will get Bridgwater into League Two within seven years. 

The co owner is a dreamer ( some think a complete fraud ) who is living in cloud cuckoo land. He has turned the club into a ltd company, so we know where any dept is going!!. All these fancy videos on social media of new stands, new changing rooms and a new stadium for the ladies team, but in reality during the year he has been there he has put some new chippings down in the car park, yes that’s it. 

He’s changed the club name, changed the kit to the same as Bournemouth’s, which coincidentally was where he was a few years ago!. He has a coaching team who are basically useless, no clue, no game plan, and the side are only near the top of the league due to the Western League being very poor except for half a dozen teams.

If he really thinks they can compete at the next level and climb the leagues, he is in dreamland. 

The most confusing thing of all, is why did he come to Bridgwater and buy the club, he has no links to the area, it really is very strange all round. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The co owner is a dreamer ( some think a complete fraud ) who is living in cloud cuckoo land. He has turned the club into a ltd company, so we know where any dept is going!!. All these fancy videos on social media of new stands, new changing rooms and a new stadium for the ladies team, but in reality during the year he has been there he has put some new chippings down in the car park, yes that’s it. 

He’s changed the club name, changed the kit to the same as Bournemouth’s, which coincidentally was where he was a few years ago!. He has a coaching team who are basically useless, no clue, no game plan, and the side are only near the top of the league due to the Western League being very poor except for half a dozen teams.

If he really thinks they can compete at the next level and climb the leagues, he is in dreamland. 

The most confusing thing of all, is why did he come to Bridgwater and buy the club, he has no links to the area, it really is very strange all round. 

Secret Celophane fetish??

• Like 1

Just now, archie andrews said:

sorry if getting confused but is there 2 teams in bridgy now ...town and united?

No mate, the new owner changed the name to United, much to the dismay and anger of a lot of the town’s football supporters. He also owns Yeovil United the ladies football team, and bizarrely decided he wanted to to merge the names?‍♂️. Hence Bridgwater United. I’ve yet to find anyone who still doesn’t call the club “Town”.

23 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

No mate, the new owner changed the name to United, much to the dismay and anger of a lot of the town’s football supporters. He also owns Yeovil United the ladies football team, and bizarrely decided he wanted to to merge the names?‍♂️. Hence Bridgwater United. I’ve yet to find anyone who still doesn’t call the club “Town”.

Lazenby, Laird and Hawkins were their top players back in the day.

12 minutes ago, bcfcdeano said:

Verwood vs New Milton - 3.2 away win - yesterday 

Eastleigh vs Torquay today - 2.1 home win

Non league is the way to go

It most certainly is, some top quality out there as well. This goal was by Elliot Benyon ( came through our youth ranks 15 years ago) for Oxford City.

Absolute quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I watched Paulton play Slimbridge recently, some of the football Paulton played was sublime, great to see that sort of football played in that league nowadays. 

Yeah enjoy watching them these days, try to play the right way and a very young team. There is one lad that plays centre back that has just been selected for England schoolboys under 18 squad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I took in that game too.

Oldland had the majority of the 1st half, but Longwell much better in the 2nd half and deservedly went 3-1 up. A mix up from a drop ball allowed Oldland to equalise, only for Longwell to win it in the last minute.

It's being reported as a record crowd, but I can only assume they calculated the attendance based on the entrance fee. I suspect it was slightly higher due to the kids who got in for free, so don't make up the entrance receipts.

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I watched Paulton play Slimbridge recently, some of the football Paulton played was sublime, great to see that sort of football played in that league nowadays. 

Interesting club Paulton. They have created a broad youth set up and this season saw a sixteen year old from their development centre playing in the first team. Its not perfect or exact but some of their youth teams are very confident on the ball and looking to constantly play. That sort of football appears to be their long term goal, a non league modernist Paulton way of playing. 

Paulton v Frome new years day I think.

• Like 2

On 28/12/2021 at 12:18, Nbafc said:

Never quite made the 1st round, lost 1-0 at Newport iow in 4th qualifier, think that's the one u mean?

Season or 2 before took Martin O'Neil s Wycombe to replay (3rdor4th qual) losing in 97th minute.

Frome Road under John Murphy (88 to 93?) was the best value £3 you could spend. Loud and colourful crowds,  4 2 4 attacking with the fittest team about. 

Freeguard was key man in that team often. Adie Harris, Mark Adams(from Larkhall?) Danny Iddles (from Yate), Paul Rose, Nigel Tripp, Marcus Bray and too briefly Dave Dennison, brother of Wolves' Robbie. Jeff Meacham, Graham Withey brief spells.

Saw Mark Lawrenson as pl/man of Corby, and Alan Brazil scored for Bury St Edmonds as pl/man but lost 5-1.

Murphy left when he saw no progress off field and it was a slow inevitable death after that including a season or 2 with Twerton as home ground. They had a great deal with Beazer Homes, their sponsor, who would purchase current & build new ground. Nothing like that happens in Trowbridge, tescos blocked Sainsburys buying ground it's now houses 

90-91 season promotion from Southern to Premier (2nd) Vase semi final defeat to Guiseley & league Cup semi final. In April they played around 20 games. 2 subs then. 

One of first games in Premier League we beat Burton Albion 9-0. They had to wear our white kit. 

Watched the likes of Crawley, Rushden, Cheltenham at Frome Road. They went one way, we went the opposite.

Happy, happy days though

Played under Paul Rose (well he was a coach) and Trippy at Chippenham, what were they like as players? Rosey always came across hard as nails, wouldn’t answer him back if he had a pop.

What Melksham have done is brilliant, can’t personally bring myself to support them as I’m a Chippenham boy through family. Most of my school year were part of that Melksham side a few years ago that won the league but couldn’t go up, then eventually got promotion. Some very good players at that level, and majority of the squad were Melksham lads. Only downside was it was a bit clique, but most clubs are.

The ownership used to try and insist on using local lads, Its lost its “home grown” feel a little now they’ve moved away from that model but still some talented young lads there. The youth setup is something special too, and facilities are brilliant.

Bath City v Chippenham Town on Sunday. As a Bath born and bred lad, I feel compelled. Its been hyped up as the A4 Derby (why not), but prices are:

Grandstand tickets – Adult £15, Senior £12, Student/U18 £9, U16 £5
Terrace* tickets – Adult £14, Senior £11, Student/U18 £8, U16 £3
Family tickets (Terrace) – 2 Adult, 2 U16 – £28 – Save £6

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Played under Paul Rose (well he was a coach) and Trippy at Chippenham, what were they like as players? Rosey always came across hard as nails, wouldn’t answer him back if he had a pop.

What Melksham have done is brilliant, can’t personally bring myself to support them as I’m a Chippenham boy through family. Most of my school year were part of that Melksham side a few years ago that won the league but couldn’t go up, then eventually got promotion. Some very good players at that level, and majority of the squad were Melksham lads. Only downside was it was a bit clique, but most clubs are.

The ownership used to try and insist on using local lads, Its lost its “home grown” feel a little now they’ve moved away from that model but still some talented young lads there. The youth setup is something special too, and facilities are brilliant.

When I was at Odd Down it took a group of supporters a long time to take to the group of us from Bristol.  We won most of them over though, but there were still a few who resented us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Rosey was an an immaculate old school centre half, greased up perm, great in the air, scored a goal or 2 but excellent captain who organised well I wouldn't have wanted to be on the wrong end of one of his rollickings. Nigel was a great foil, shorter & stockier, quieter but read the game ever so well. They may both still be on the tools too! I bet . I remember them being ever present for seasons also

Gather Melksham have done well but not a club I hold interest in. Chippenham went up a level or 2? And have stayed up? They were the old Great Mills prem, with Melksham, Devizes, Calne etc below. Both have achieved as the facility standard jump from Western to Southern was difficult let alone the standard.