IGNORED

Team of Bristolians

RedRoss

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The Bilbao definition would be OK for John Atyeo who was actually born in Standerwick village in Somerset, about three/four miles from Dilton Marsh. He grew up in Dilton Marsh but was only able to play cricket for Somerset Second team as he was born in Somerset as per rules in operation at that time. Birth or residency in the county. Birth and living in Wiltshire would have not allowed him to register with Somerset CCC.

Plenty of Bristol boys. Tom Doherty, Brian Clark, Bobby Williams, Jantzen Derrick to name just a few.

Being like Bilbao would be fantastic. Sadly not feasible but a lovely dream. 

You could make a very decent team out of players from the region who never played a single game for either Bristol team or very few (before being flogged to the highest bidder or retired in Arthur Milton's case):

Nicky Johns or Jack Butland

Eddie Hapgood, Julian Dicks, Jason Drysdale, Phil King, Jason Dodd (not many Right Backs and a lot of Left Backs - and Dicks not the hardest!)

Tony Book, Larry Lloyd, Darren Peacock, David Mail, Tyrone Mings

Cliff Britton, Arthur Milton, Scott Sinclair, Andy Johnson

Roy Bentley, Ashley Barnes

Now that our Academy's up to scratch, let's hope the region's top class talent of the future finds it way into our first team and not someone else's.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

28 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Did Darren peacock, break a transfer record once?

He was local

Might’ve broke the PL record for a defender???

16 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Another million dollar south bristol player.

Julian dicks.

Yep, mentioned both of these earlier.  Peacock was in my brother’s year at school, I played against Dicks (Raleigh Sports), we lost 11-0, he got 8!!!

@Merrick's Marvels Drysdale was Keegan’s first signing at Newcastle.

• Like 1

Talking of teams made up from local players...........i always think that one remarkable statistic from the history of the game that stands out for me, and will NEVER be repeated is..... When Celtic became the first British team to win the European Cup in 1967, the team consisted of players all born within a 10 mile radius of Glasgow City Centre.  I find that fact incredible.    Talk about a local Victory!!

Edited by maxjak

2 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Looking at that list, would be something like

Butland

Jones   Kelly   Pring
Edwards                                          Bryan 

Bell   Kane     
    Benarous    

Britton   De-Cordova Reid 

*Still playing XI that is! 

Managed by, er, Ian Holloway. No, sorry, scrub that: managed by Keef Curle. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Might’ve broke the PL record for a defender???

Yep, mentioned both of these earlier.  Peacock was in my brother’s year at school, I played against Dicks (Raleigh Sports), we lost 11-0, he got 8!!!

From left back? Did you "lose concentration," Dave? Were you dreaming of stats and graphs? Heat maps and amortisation? 

Edited by Moments of Pleasure

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wotton-Under-Edge.

Cameron does live in Wotton under Edge…but was actually born in Southmead hospital. The club profile says Cheltenham which is wrong ?. So most definitely ‘one of our own’ ?

Edited by onehowie
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

From left back? Did you "lose concentration," Dave? Were you dreaming of stats and graphs? Heat maps and amortisation? 

He was a centre-forward in those days, and skinny as a rake.  I was a forward then too, playing a year-up, whereas Dicks had an August birthday that allowed him to play a year down…so there were two school years between us!!

5 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

There was a kid from ashton, came on for rovers, scored against us in the gloucester cup.

I think he came on as a sub, and was one of his first touches.

They got him out sunday leauge.

Anybody remember him?

Lived very close to the ground.

Boyle?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Merrick's Marvels Drysdale was Keegan’s first signing at Newcastle.

Always liked him - a tidy player. 

Used to irk me that the son of a City legend, with obvious talent, played for the likes of Watford and Swindon but never us. Multiple reasons why players end up where they do though, I suppose.

Mike Ford was another one - another Left Back and son of a former player - played nearly 500 times for Cardiff and Oxford in the 80s and 90s.

At least our Academy means we now have a better chance of finding these talented locals, although personally I'd prefer it if we combined this with plenty of boots on the ground in an old-school scouting network. 

4 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

His name was ian wilmott.

His brother, i used to play with.

Went on to better things, than ian.

Captained ashton vale boys club.

Steve Bailey was a Knowle Wester who was a City fan who ended up playing for the blue few, had to retire early from the game through injury.

7 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

His name was ian wilmott.

His brother, i used to play with.

Went on to better things, than ian.

Captained ashton vale boys club.

Enoch?  Pretty sure I played against when he was at Mangotsfield or Taunton (or both)

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/features/featured/7722/where-are-they-now-bristol-rovers-division-three-champions-1989-90/

Who was his brother?

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Steve Bailey was a Knowle Wester who was a City fan who ended up playing for the blue few, had to retire early from the game through injury.

Graham Withey too.

At least he had the pleasure of pulling on the red and white later in his career - and also had the good grace to be on the losing side when playing against us for Cardiff. That's the spirit! 

• Like 1