IGNORED

Goalkeeper Conundrum

Dynamite Red

Really unsure of the way forward with our Goalkeeper selection. We play as a team much better with O'Leary playing out from the back but for me in every other key attribute he is an inferior keeper to Bentley. 

Do we persevere with Max and hope he can grow into the position and become more dominant and provide that confidence, at the moment he reminds me a bit of a superior Steve Phillips with crosses and his general presence, or do you bring back the safe and sure Bentley but take that edge away from our game playing out from the back.

I really can't decide, even to the point that I wonder if we should look for a better ball playing keeper in the Summer and move Bentley on if we can. 

• Like 2

We dont play better with Max!! 
Bentley can do the passing etc. whats coincided with Max in the team is a marked shift in tactics to pass out from the back. 
If we want Bents to do it he can. What he also can do is most things Max cannot.We are poor at centre back, but even worse with Max in goal. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

Bring back Bentley.

I know not popular on here but Max is a L1 keeper.  Nothing he has done in the games he has been in has changed my mind.

Maybe good with his feet but not sure I have seen he make a save yet. 

Gives me very little confidence we will keep a clean sheet.

Maybe Nige is giving him a run to see if we need another keeper if we let Bentley go in the summer. So far the answer is yes we do

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Bentley can do the passing etc. whats coincided with Max in the team is a marked shift in tactics to pass out from the back. 
If we want Bents to do it he can. What he also can do is most things Max cannot.We are poor at centre back, but even worse with Max in goal. 

I don't think Bentley is comfortable with his feet or playing out from the back especially under pressure and usually looks for the long ball or is slow and ponderous. But he is the far superior keeper overall. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately i don't think Max is ever going to be a box dominating keeper. He's from the Shay Given mould who are confident shot stoppers who stay on their line. If we had a couple of dominant centre backs then that isn't necessarily a problem, but it was exposed badly tonight.

Moving forward, Bentley either becomes our number one again, or he gets moved on for as much as we can get for him.

I would be happy to stick with Max if we sort the centre of our defence out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Bents distribution and positioning for receiving passes has been awful this season, it’s not just tactics..  It would require a large technical change for him to start passing it out from the back in the manner Max does, regardless of team style changes of late.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

The way we want to play suits Max. 

The personnel we have suits Bentley. 

Depends how you feel about this season. A lot of people reckon we are pretty much safe. In that case, play Max and get good match experience for a lot of players in the style we want in the next season. If you don’t think we are safe, play Bentley as he is going to suit our tiny defensive unit a bit more and may help keep a few more out over the rest of the season. 

Personally, I don’t quite think we can call it safe but much prefer how we play with Max. If Bentley can do the same then great. There is enough evidence however to suggest we would not be as fluid. So I’d stick with Max for now. Better chance he is around longer term too. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Clearly Bentley is better keeper bizarre that he isn't playing

It’s not. I can see why max plays . You only have to look at his starting positions when we have the ball . He’s good with ball at his feet & sweeps up really well . Always on the edge of his box to receive a pass meaning we can squeeze up the pitch more. 
After watching the second goal again , I’m not sure he’s a fault. I first thought he could of come & claimed it but it’s too far to come & all of our defence  are the wrong side  . If he had come for it he would of been stranded . The first goal is a bit different & we're down to ten men.  

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s not. I can see why max plays . You only have to look at his starting positions when we have the ball . He’s good with ball at his feet & sweeps up really well . Always on the edge of his box to receive a pass meaning we can squeeze up the pitch more. 

100%

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

We need a CB far more urgently . Then a right back . 

Guess we are still deciding whether Klose is worth a contract & how long he would need to get up to speed.

Tanner presumably back next month, think we’ll try & soldier on until the summer, release Simpson & bring another one in then.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I don't think Bentley is comfortable with his feet or playing out from the back especially under pressure and usually looks for the long ball or is slow and ponderous. But he is the far superior keeper overall. 

Which really is the only thing that matters! 

What is the love in with Max just don’t get it.

Most people want him in because he is ‘young’ not because he has played well that’s mental.

If he had come in and looked a good keeper and better than Bents fair enough but he hasn’t.

I think Nige put him to have a look at him and decide if good enough if we off load Bents. 

Pretty sure Nige will see that he is not good enough and either way Bents or another keeper is needed.

I have said many times he is L1 keeper and keep getting pelters for it but the more he plays the more people are seeing that is probably right.

We have let in 14 in 5 games and I am not sure Max has made a save that I can recall.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Henry said:

First question should be when selecting a goal keeper is ‘who is better at keeping the ball out the net?’. That’s it. All this about playing out from the back, squeezing up, sweeper keeper etc is worthless otherwise.

I know what you’re saying, but I disagree with the words.  Who is the best at helping us get points, would be my words.

To use a crude example, all things being equal,  if we win 4-3 with Max but lose 0-1 with Dan….then you pick Max every game don’t you?

But obviously it isn’t as simple as that.  I do think @Fordy62is right in that I think Antoine’s return is more responsible for our better forward play, with a small part down to Max’s distribution.

The question becomes, if Dan gets picked, does it stifle Antoine / our attacking?

I don’t know.

What I would say is that if Dan could get back to a comparable level with his feet as Max (because his kicking has fallen off a Cliff) then I’d pick Bents every time.

A keeper in todays game is not just about what he does with shots and crosses, it’s important, don’t get me wrong.  But they touch the ball more with their feet than their hands.

It would be good to see Dan back, with a kicking game much improved.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

If they play poorly, they lose their place. Every position. Including between the sticks.

With a preventable goal on Saturday and at least one tonight, questions must be asked of Max.

Nigel's decision, but it's more a question of current form than one being superior to the other. They are different type of keepers, that is clear, but at the end of the day, if you're in goal your main job is to keep the ball out. Whoever can do that best should get the nod. No higher consideration. 

• Like 1

Regardless of who, what I do like is “it’s your spot until you lose it”.

It seems like Bents lost it for discipline reasons rather than sporting but the fact that the club captain isn’t above expectations is also reassuring.

I would, and have, called dropping Bentley madness but I’ve been proven wrong and have enjoyed watching Max play. I’m not sure he’s done anything droppable yet but if/when he is, we should in theory see Bents emulating and improving on Max’s strengths while bringing his own. It’s then up to Max to improve on that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Better Red said:

Bring back Bentley.

I know not popular on here but Max is a L1 keeper.  Nothing he has done in the games he has been in has changed my mind.

Maybe good with his feet but not sure I have seen he make a save yet. 

Gives me very little confidence we will keep a clean sheet.

Maybe Nige is giving him a run to see if we need another keeper if we let Bentley go in the summer. So far the answer is yes we do

Well if he stays with us he most probably will be a league 1 player next season anyway ?

• Confused 1