IGNORED

Who's our defensive coach at the moment?

spudski

In answer to the original question (I haven't read the whole thread), but currently it could be Stevie Wonder.

Without turning this into an anti Pearson post (for the record I think he'll get it right once he's had a proper chance to get some decent players in, and not had to make do with Johnson/Holden/Ashton castoffs), we really should be doing better defensively seeing as both he and Fleming were decent defenders in their day.

The goalkeeper situation at the moment could be a reason for the number of goals we're conceding currently, but it's also not helping that it's not our first choice defence out there. 

We shouldn't have to score a minimum of 2 goals every game to get at least something from it. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

We miss fammy at the back, he always got his head on it from a free kick

Under rated at the time.

Nearly always got first contact on crosses and at least made it difficult for any flick ons.

If Klose signs hopefully he can take this role.

Preston currently practicing "floating" crosses into our 6 yard box. I would be.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

We miss fammy at the back, he always got his head on it from a free kick

Chris Martin has done just as good a job defensively.  Defends the near post zone on corners v.effectively.

It is only in recent games that we’ve started to concede.  Until mid-December we were good.  Analysis bears this out.  Although god knows why he was positioned where he was for Luton’s winner!

What has changed:

• Martin not being on the  pitch for some of those goals
  • O’Leary replacing Bentley
  • no Baker / Atkinson

Debate, discuss?

I don’t really miss Diedhiou.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Chris Martin has done just as good a job defensively.  Defends the near post zone on corners v.effectively.

It is only in recent games that we’ve started to concede.  Until mid-December we were good.  Analysis bears this out.  Although god knows why he was positioned where he was for Luton’s winner!

What has changed:

• Martin not being on the  pitch for some of those goals
  • O’Leary replacing Bentley
  • no Baker / Atkinson

Debate, discuss?

I don’t really miss Diedhiou.

Generally speaking we defend corners and deep free kicks worse than during the Johnson years and Fam was a major part of that. I don't think Martin offers quite as much defensively, although, despite his rep for being as slow as a sloth on valium, he does actually break quite quickly when there is an opportunity to counter-attack and doesn't hinder such attacks as much as Diedhiou, who always seemed to need to stop and take two touches to bring the ball under control.

At least we seem to have abandoned the crazy "everyone back in the box" tactic which meant we had no upfield outlet if the ball was cleared from corners and we just had to wait for it to come straight back at us.

The set piece issue is something Pearson is going to have to look at, but, in fairness, the last 2 months we've been (generally) better there compared to the previous 2.  We have a Baker-shaped hole in our back line though, which is something NP is doubtless keen to plug. 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

First time I’ve really watched the goals back.

image.thumb.jpeg.cce50a021345a5620f7ef42a04f25fc8.jpeg

Do we need Semenyo and Scott in a mini-wall?

Do we need Weimann, Martin and O’Dowda in front of their first man….surely two is enough?

Kalas has already lost his marker, as has Vyner, both wrong side, as has Pring.

Then….

F47A44ED-2508-46F8-9713-E77D0E485E22.thumb.jpeg.57b53bc3b0d7bb0786a186768f8313fa.jpeg

…why does O’Dowda run towards the ball, whilst his man (the goalscorer) moved towards the 6 yard box.

Chris Martin needs to be in amongst the group of markers, he’s wasted there.

Shocking.

It is shocking. In that second pic they’ve got 5 players in positions to attack the ball unimpeded. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was flabbergasted watching it back last night!

I was flabbergasted watching it match day... literally screaming in my head 'wtf...why are they defending like that...Luton will score here'...and they did. At the time I was surprised the forum wasn't in melt down talking about it...but nothing...all the blame going to Max.

• Like 1