IGNORED

Lincolnshire clubs

22A

Five clubs in Lincolnshire; four have dropped out of the League and Scunny look set to be next. It just seems odd that all of one county's clubs should fail over the years.

in 1912 Gainsborough Trinity were voted out after finishing last, their place being taken by their local rivals, Lincoln City.

Lincoln City were the first team to be relegated automatically from the League in 1987. They bounced straight back, but were relegated again in 2011, won promotion again in 2017 and are still with us.

Boston got into the League, but only survived five seasons; anyone on here go when City played them in the JPT?

Grimsby relegated, promoted back up and relegated again.

Scunthorpe; currently 23rd in League 2 and six points from safety, so will presumably be gone at the end of the season.

My g’father took me to Sincil Bank to watch Lincoln City play Bradford PA in the late 60’s around the same time that I first started going to AG. As a family we spent loads of time up there visiting my fathers dad.

The Imps won the game 3-2 with two penalties. I loved it and have had a soft spot for Lincoln City ever since. I always look out for their results.

Lincoln itself is a wonderful City and if I ever left the West Country that’s where I’d go to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Five clubs in Lincolnshire; four have dropped out of the League and Scunny look set to be next. It just seems odd that all of one county's clubs should fail over the years.

in 1912 Gainsborough Trinity were voted out after finishing last, their place being taken by their local rivals, Lincoln City.

Lincoln City were the first team to be relegated automatically from the League in 1987. They bounced straight back, but were relegated again in 2011, won promotion again in 2017 and are still with us.

Boston got into the League, but only survived five seasons; anyone on here go when City played them in the JPT?

Scunthorpe; currently 23rd in League 2 and six points from safety, so will presumably be gone at the end of the season.

I went to the Boston game. They were placed in the Southern Section (despite Lincoln City being in the Northern Section) due to the split of including sides from the Conference who were allowed in back then. It wasn't a bad trip. We did well in a Bateman's pub over the road from the ground as due to a local Pool match being cancelled we got free sandwiches which would have spoiled otherwise. Of course we won the game with a Golden Goal from Danny Coles. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

I once submitted 10 fish and bread puns to an OTIB competition (for such things are unanimously popular on here, as we all know), hoping that one of them would win...

... but no pun in 10 did.

If it was a competition for strawberry puns you could have submitted them in a punnet 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Live very local to Scunthorpe and all their fans I speak to don’t think they will come back up when they go down 

Fans always react OTT when their team are going through a tough spell (as regularly demonstrated on here!). Scunny have a decent support and ground, no reason why they can't bounce back in 2 or 3 seasons time. Although it won't be easy of course, just ask Luton.

The south shore of the Humber Estuary has very little in common with the rest of Lincolnshire. Grimsby used to be a county borough, like Bristol was, and in '74 both it and Scunthorpe (and Hull) formed the now defunct county of Humberside. 

The Imps are having a mixed season this term, but came within a play-off goal of joining us in the Championship last year.  So not all is bleak in Lincolnshire football. 

16 hours ago, 22A said:

Gainsborough population similar to Keynsham

Lincoln population similar to Bath

Boston population similar to Yate/Sodbury

Grimsby population similar to Taunton

Scunthorpe population similar to Weston Super Mare

Maybe the questions is why have none of the above been league clubs?

• Like 1

Some interesting thoughts here. The amateur league I play in (which is a Yorkshire county league) also includes several North Lincolnshire teams from the likes of Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Lincoln. We’re now playing the likes of Louth and even as far south as Horncastle. The Northern clubs make sense, due to their proximity to Yorkshire, but the others are a right old trek. 

And don’t mention the county of “Humberside” round these parts. It’s even more despised than “Avon”!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Fans always react OTT when their team are going through a tough spell (as regularly demonstrated on here!). Scunny have a decent support and ground, no reason why they can't bounce back in 2 or 3 seasons time. Although it won't be easy of course, just ask Luton.

They really don't have decent support these days they're lucky to get 4,000 a week. Very much a club in free fall 

1 hour ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

And don’t mention the county of “Humberside” round these parts. It’s even more despised than “Avon”!

Not sure about that!  When the new Avon sign went up outside Farrington Gurney, it took 24 hours before someone crossed out the Avon and painted in Somerset. The sign was ten resprayed by the council and altered by the public multiple times until someone used a JCB to knock it down. Our postman used to cross out Avon on letters he delivered and write-in SOMERSET.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

They really don't have decent support these days they're lucky to get 4,000 a week. Very much a club in free fall 

I'd consider 4000 when you are bottom of the entire league a decent turn out. If they were challenging at the top of the National League next season they'd average 5000, which would make them in the top 4 or 5 best supported teams at that level.

My mum grew up in Boston and I had grandparents just down the road from the stadium. Different world is Boston. Makes East Anglia look like a roaring metropolis of modernity. With the lack of local action in general I could see why small towns like this managed to get into the league as probably had a good % of the town going, but nowadays with Sky etc. can also see why going to a cold windy shed in Boston on a Saturday afternoon doesn't pull in the punters.