IGNORED

2,442 City fans at Preston back in 2014/15? REALLY?

Never to the dark side

Just now, TomF said:

1997.  Sean McCarthy equalised then injured himself celebrating.   Dire day, I think we were 2-1 after about 15 minutes and never really had another chance.

Mind you still pissed about Adam Lockes disallowed goal at Burnley a few weeks earlier.

Shows how bad my memory must be ha! I thought we went 1-0 up 

if I remember rightly we were along the side of the pitch that day 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well one of us is right.. I'm pretty sure they opened scoring early like 3-4 mins then McCarthy equalised after 10 and then they went straight down other end and scored again.  We'd have won that title easily had we not sold the Goat.

Yeah vague vague memories of the day - I think I remember applauding Moyes before the game as he went down the tunnel.  But yeah was that half demo'd stand on the pitchside with no roof.. just concrete terracing. 

You’re right.

Never liked Preston over recent years, but their fans that day were excellent, wishing us all the best for the following season, unlike Burnley, who tried to kill us.

Edited by GrahamC

I remember Deepdale when it had a wooden pillared stand and plastic pitch (between 1986 and 1994 so before the OPs game)

I think I went there in the late 80s and so just after the Bradford City fire. I remember being very wary of sparks from people's fags.

image.png.f9eb5d5cb75d2dd10c99ced2864f5eff.png

image.png.9bb529040c4b538a459dcfa5eeb6b30a.png

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well one of us is right.. I'm pretty sure they opened scoring early like 3-4 mins then McCarthy equalised after 10 and then they went straight down other end and scored again.  We'd have won that title easily had we not sold the Goat.

Yeah vague vague memories of the day - I think I remember applauding Moyes before the game as he went down the tunnel.  But yeah was that half demo'd stand on the pitchside with no roof.. just concrete terracing. 

Yep.

We lost the title to the fartheads in 1990 because Bob Taylor got injured.

We lost the title to Twatford in 1998 because we had sold Shaun Goater.

Typical City !!

Twatford then spent £250k the following summer and got promoted to the P.L.

We spent £4.5M the same summer and got relegated.

Typical City !!

26 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

I remember Deepdale when it had a wooden pillared stand and plastic pitch (between 1986 and 1994 so before the OPs game)

I think I went there in the late 80s and so just after the Bradford City fire. I remember being very wary of sparks from people's fags.

image.png.f9eb5d5cb75d2dd10c99ced2864f5eff.png

image.png.9bb529040c4b538a459dcfa5eeb6b30a.png

Went there in 89-90 season . Got a feeling we drew 2-2 but not sure

42 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The 14/15 game was where the "Flint said no" chant got its first airing.

Yep.

People forget this game and attendance when slating our 900 at Bradford 72 hours later. We could’ve been promoted at Preston had we won and other results gone our way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

That was the first game of the 09/10 season I think? Remember it feeling like the ref would have played all night until they equalised.

Yep, I think it may have been the opening or second game of the season ?

They equalised right at the end with a penalty.

• Like 1

Can’t remember which game but went to Deepdale one season. Car load of us decided to go. Good 4 hour drive up the M6 to get to Preston.
Got there early doors, found a pub fairly close to the ground. Drinks sorted, sat down having a chat thinking not many City arrived yet. Then all of a sudden 20/30 odd geezers stroll in. Thinking to myself “don’t know any of those faces”. It was apparent they were Preston. There were 5 of us. Preston were known to have an active mob in those days.
Think probably the only time where I was glad to get out of a pub before a football match.
There were quite a few City there that game so may have been the promo game, but my memory is fooked nowadays. We just landed at the wrong pub.
Following City away was never boring back in those days.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Went there in 89-90 season . Got a feeling we drew 2-2 but not sure

We did, pretty sure Nicky Morgan (who scored very early on) & Junior Bent both made their debuts after signing on deadline day.

Preston still had a plastic pitch then & sadly remember a big argument kicking off between some City fans because a couple were giving Junior stick on the grounds of his colour.

Not everything was better back then..

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We did, pretty sure Nicky Morgan (who scored very early on) & Junior Bent both made their debuts after signing on deadline day.

Preston still had a plastic pitch then & sadly remember a big argument kicking off between some City fans because a couple were giving Junior stick on the grounds of his colour.

Not everything was better back then..

Definitely remember the plastic pitch. 

Did this game (and Bradford) as I lived in Preston for uni, got the direct bus from ground to train station as I lived nearby, went to take my usual walk through the station to come out the near side to the house and a policeman wouldn’t let me out the station saying as a city fan I had to get on the train straight away. Only let me go once I showed him university ID and could name the street I lived on 

3 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I’m probably not going so throwing stones here but 400 is poor. First time this season I’m saying that though. 

Is it though? Nothing really to play for, no decent form away and recent history at Preston is something akin to some weird voodoo magic. Cold January afternoon - fair shout to those 400 hearty reds I say!

46 minutes ago, Scare_Man said:

Is it though? Nothing really to play for, no decent form away and recent history at Preston is something akin to some weird voodoo magic. Cold January afternoon - fair shout to those 400 hearty reds I say!

Blackpool soon after is a more attractive fixture for many I think. Shame it was also FA Cup weekend and I didn’t take the gamble and book hotel, transport and time off work. But no doubt if I did we would have progress in the cup (!) or Covid/Covid restrictions would have jinxed me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scare_Man said:

Has been discussed before but our away attendances north of Birmingham are pretty poor.  The extortionate rail prices don’t help!

• Like 1