IGNORED

COD

DT The Optimist

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I have watched the game back and O'Dowda made one mistake in trying to see the ball out.

Otherwise he did his defensive duties fine and was the right sub to make. Pring was knackered.

O'Dowda picked up some good positions on the far post, and was fine with the ball whenever he received it going forward.

And against Blackpool he had a better first half than Dasilva imo.

He needs to work on what to do when running back facing his own goal though! 

That's a shockingly fair assessment Jon, you need to get with the agenda, he is the anti christ and should be paraded around the pitch in sackcloth and ashes.

I seem to remember at the start of the season that Dave Rennie spent some time explaining how pre-season training varied for the players depending on their position they played. I would assume, for example, that COD never got the kind of stamina training required for a wingback role as he wasn't playing there at the start of the season. If he is struggling physically, that will have an effect mentally as well.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Back to O'Dowda, I think the fact he has had so little criticism of his defending until he's made a couple of errors in the last 2 games shows how well he has done defensively in that role - because we know people would be all over it on here had he been making mistakes in all those other games.

Funnily enough I left the OSIB Facebook group because I was fed up with seeing him constantly criticised for his defensive capabilities, the stats just didn't add up to the posters comments. I can understand some of the criticism on here, but the majority is hysterical nonsense that was written in the posters head before the game has even started.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 22:19, mozo said:

The O'Dowda and Vyner comparison is spot on. 

Both look the part physically, have great attitudes, show moments of high quality.

But they both seem to lack a competitive edge and they are both guilty of frequent lapses of concentration/decision making.

Obviously about opinions, but think Vyner offers us more.

Firstly he’s been shunted between RB, CB (in a 2 & in a 3) and CM.

I don’t see a lack of competitive edge at all, but a player who has been dominated physically by Deeney & Mitrovic, which suggests in a side with Kalas & now Klose we would expect them to deal with those type of players.

He was very good in midweek & I believe he always gives his best, as a presumably lower wage, decent availability, versatile squad player I would personally keep him.

COD however can go tomorrow, (I appreciate the reality is we have to wait until his contract ends) rather like Pearson’s view of Paterson, he’s been with us too long, is stale & not offering value.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

On 10/02/2022 at 22:19, mozo said:

The O'Dowda and Vyner comparison is spot on. 

Both look the part physically, have great attitudes, show moments of high quality.

But they both seem to lack a competitive edge and they are both guilty of frequent lapses of concentration/decision making.

Vyner, is a good player and improving IMO.  He is a Championship defender. He’s developing a lot like Louis Carey, who if you’re old enough would agree IMO.

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t see a lack of competitive edge at all, but a player who has been dominated physically by Deeney & Mitrovic, which suggests in a side with Kalas & now Klose we would expect them to deal with those type of players.

He was very good in midweek & I believe he always gives his best, as a presumably lower wage, decent availability, versatile squad player I would personally keep him.

I agree with you on the whole but his problems seem to stem from a lack of concentration or at times, composure. I wonder after ~150 pro games and at the age of 24 if this is something he's able to sort out or if he's just going to have these "moments" forever. Jury's out for me. 

Same for Taylor Moore, but it appears he's finished here. 

9 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I agree with you on the whole but his problems seem to stem from a lack of concentration or at times, composure. I wonder after ~150 pro games and at the age of 24 if this is something he's able to sort out or if he's just going to have these "moments" forever. Jury's out for me. 

Same for Taylor Moore, but it appears he's finished here. 

Honest answer is I don’t know.

However for me he’s worth hanging on to as part of the 3 year plan, the sort of player Preston or Luton has in their squad.

Also last season he was in the squad 44/46, this season 23/31 (not sure he was injured for all of the 8 he’s missed, either) for a club that struggles to get its best players on the grass, that’s very useful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I have watched the game back and O'Dowda made one mistake in trying to see the ball out.

Otherwise he did his defensive duties fine and was the right sub to make. Pring was knackered.

O'Dowda picked up some good positions on the far post, and was fine with the ball whenever he received it going forward.

And against Blackpool he had a better first half than Dasilva imo.

He needs to work on what to do when running back facing his own goal though! 

So, he gets a free pass from you for chickening the challenge that I clipped, and the subsequent runner he completely lost in the sequence after then?

He gets away with not jumping for a ball in our own box from a corner (80th min ish), that luckily their player completely mistimes and heads across goal?

E7425C49-4088-4BA4-8379-8DE0027CD828.thumb.jpeg.863eb0783b4129fbec45a73362354051.jpeg

Just seems a bit selective, and maybe not consistent with faults you pick out for other players per se.

Very few, other than the completely biased, are saying it wasn’t the right sub.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think O'Dowda struggles with the demands of playing as a wing back. I think it suits him, like Fleming said midweek.

Pring can't play for much longer than an hour as a wing back or winger as it's too much for him. Not sure if that can ever improve.

We will apparently be going to a back 4 next season so should sort that problem out.

Interesting what you say about Rennie. I cant remember seeing that interview.

Back to O'Dowda, I think the fact he has had so little criticism of his defending until he's made a couple of errors in the last 2 games shows how well he has done defensively in that role - because we know people would be all over it on here had he been making mistakes in all those other games.

Why don’t you give Pring more than a few games on the spin at LWB to see if he can get through more than 60 mins.  It takes getting used to, especially in your first season at this level.

• Flames 1

49 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Vyner was decent midweek. He's had a number of decent games as well as bad imo.

He made a vital block on a shot first half after Pring had made a tired looking pass to the opposition.

Vyner made a bad error 2nd half that gave Swift a chance to shoot but comfortable O'Leary save.

As Pearson said, he needs to find consistency. Not helped by us being an unorganised side defensively.

There isn't much he can do about losing his physical battles when up against much stronger opponents.

Not sure why Pearson put him central of the 3 against Mitrovic after how he played against Birmingham in the middle of a 3 up against Deeney.

And he can switch off at times too. If we play 4 at the back and he's right back then he can look vulnerable one on one.

I thought defensive midfield suited him more when we saw him last season. But Pearson must disagree with that.

Agree with everything you say bar the last bit - I think he is a defender and right side of a back three is ideal. 

The bit in bold is key. If he can focus and get through games without the lapses in concentration then I think he will improve as he goes on. 

13 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Agree with everything you say bar the last bit - I think he is a defender and right side of a back three is ideal. 

The bit in bold is key. If he can focus and get through games without the lapses in concentration then I think he will improve as he goes on. 

He needs to be more physical / imposing.  He’s a bit nice.  I want to see him go through someone aerially.

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

COD however can go tomorrow, (I appreciate the reality is we have to wait until his contract ends) rather like Pearson’s view of Paterson, he’s been with us too long, is stale & not offering value.

I may be wrong butI don't think Pearson has the same view of COD as he has of Patterson.

All this defending of O'Dowda, and protestations that he is being picked on, is absurd,?  You'll all be joining  the RSPOD next?.  He has been at Ashton Gate  for 6 years and has managed a ratio of 1 goal every 20 games, he is no better now than when he joined us, and seems to have learnt nothing?   Rather like Patterson, he needs to leave and find another club, which just might....might? inspire him to perform?  For me he is a waste of a shirt, and needs to grow/show some character.  He is going through the motions here, and coasting along, and needs to be motivated by something, anything?

I hope he has a great last 3 or 4 years of his career, just not here?  After 6 years, he has been given a fair crack of the whip? I believe that NP  has seen enough of him to realise that he needs to be moved on, so if he ever remains fit for long enough, then hopefully one of our Welsh reserve sides..........Cardiff or Swansea will take him off our hands?  Here's hoping?  ?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 5