IGNORED

Time to play Kalas as RB in a 4?

headhunter

Kalas enjoyed two promotions to the Prem with Boro and Fulham where for both clubs he played mainly as right back rather than as a central defender. I seem to recall comments at the time he signed permanent for us that it was conditional on him being played in his "preferred position"!

Undoubtedly one of our best players this season, although some might question is he really all that when we have the 2nd worst defence in the division, is it time for Nigel to ask him to help us out in our problem position and allow us to line up like this against Reading

Bentley / Kalas, Cundy, Klose, Pring / Williams, HNM, Scott / Weimann / Semenyo, Martin [4-3-1-2]

You have two very experienced defenders, former internationals no less, helping out two relative rookie defenders, a more robust midfield and maintain the W-S-M combo up front.

If it were down to me I would rest Martin and play Semenyo and Weimann up top with Benarous or JD in instead to provide some width.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Personally wouldn’t move Kalas as removes his pace centrally that we need. No idea if Cundy is good enough & strange that he goes from playing sub to out of squad. Agree with changing to a back four though but personally would play Vyner RB & wouldn’t disagree with other proposed changes. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Personally wouldn’t move Kalas as removes his pace centrally that we need. No idea if Cundy is good enough & strange that he goes from playing sub to out of squad. Agree with changing to a back four though but personally would play Vyner RB & wouldn’t disagree with other proposed changes. 

Exactly right.

As for the CBs - they’re all capable defenders and that’s not necessarily what need changing - it’s reducing the number of crosses into our box that needs to happen and that would involve the entire midfield but unfortunately Nige hasn’t had full availability for the engine room all season.

• Like 1

Do you know that Cundy is ready for the Championship? What happens if he plays against Reading gets completely overwhelmed in a game we really could do with winning and should be winning.

Is that going to be another opportunity to say Pearson isn't up to it? Then the following game and he changes it back are we going to say that inconsistent performances are down to Pearson changing the side constantly?

I would keep Kalas in the middle, we're not strong enough in any area of defense lose Kalas and he is arguably more effective in the middle. If I was Reading and saw Kalas was playing on the right I would just target the left.

The other thing is - is Kalas able to play a right wing back or at least get up and down the flanks like we need? I assume when he played for Fulham and Boro it was as part of more of a flat back 4. I have seen him probably play the best cross I have seen us do in 3 seasons this season but not sure if he is built to get up and down the wings like we would need him to.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Do you know that Cundy is ready for the Championship? What happens if he plays against Reading gets completely overwhelmed in a game we really could do with winning and should be winning.

Is that going to be another opportunity to say Pearson isn't up to it? Then the following game and he changes it back are we going to say that inconsistent performances are down to Pearson changing the side constantly?

I would keep Kalas in the middle, we're not strong enough in any area of defense lose Kalas and he is arguably more effective in the middle. If I was Reading and saw Kalas was playing on the right I would just target the left.

The other thing is - is Kalas able to play a right wing back or at least get up and down the flanks like we need? I assume when he played for Fulham and Boro it was as part of more of a flat back 4. I have seen him probably play the best cross I have seen us do in 3 seasons this season but not sure if he is built to get up and down the wings like we would need him to.

We didn't know Pring was until we tried him out and Vyner despite a couple off 100 appearances at Championship level still isn't up to it is he?

Yes, that is an assumption of mine re. a flat back 4. But the flat 4 is being mooted as Pearson's preferred option is it not so why not give it a try in a line up that I proposed which gives us more in midfield without losing any of the power up front. There is certainly height in what I have suggested.

Btw, as an aside, your comment, "....Is that going to be another opportunity to say Pearson isn't up to it" - you're picking up the content of the thread on the FBC Podcast on the Blackpool game and Ian's rant about NP. He's expressing his view which is not entirely mine so the sly dig is not appreciated!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Btw, as an aside, your comment, "....Is that going to be another opportunity to say Pearson isn't up to it" - you're picking up the content of the thread on the FBC Podcast on the Blackpool game and Ian's rant about NP. He's expressing his view which is not entirely mine so the sly dig is not appreciated!

Sorry, that was supposed to be an open comment and not a sly dig and not directly at you (but ironically at people like Ian), from my perspective you cleared up that you don't completely agree with Ian yesterday after and that's that.

In context I can see how that's come across though so apologies.

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Sorry, that was supposed to be an open comment and not a sly dig and not directly at you (but ironically at people like Ian), from my perspective you cleared up that you don't completely agree with Ian yesterday after and that's that.

In context I can see how that's come across though so apologies.

Accepted.

DM me if you'd like to come on as a guest on the Pod sometime.

• Like 1

Struggle with the logic here that we play our best defender out of position because we have an issue at RB. He’s played RB 25 times in his career, CB 214 times, so it isn’t actually true to say that he played mainly RB at both Boro and Fulham, by the way.

I would suggest Kalas’ comments related to playing CB actually, where he has featured (for Czechia as well) almost entirely since joining us.

If we do play a back four then it has to be either Vyner or Simpson at RB, however the latter appears to be completely out of favour so by extension in these circumstances it has to be Zak. Cannot see Dasilva continuing there if we go to a back four.

Cundy has 8 minutes of Championship football under his belt, with Kalas & Klose presumably both available for Wednesday if we are going to a 4 it is a huge gamble to start him.

I have no idea why he wasn’t on the bench at Blackpool but unexpected injuries aside, would be amazed if he starts.

Edited by GrahamC

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Struggle with the logic here that we play our best defender out of position because we have an issue at RB.

If we do play a back four then it has to be either Vyner or Simpson at RB, however the latter appears to be completely out of favour so by extension in these circumstances it has to be Zak. Cannot see Dasilva continuing there if we go to a back four.

Cundy has 8 minutes of Championship football under his belt, with Kalas & Klose presumably both available for Wednesday if we are going to a 4 it is a huge gamble to start him.

I have no idea why he wasn’t on the bench at Blackpool but unexpected injuries aside, would be amazed if he starts.

The logic is that centre might appear to be his best position HERE but in 2 successful promotion sides it seems he played at RB. If part of our problem is preventing crosses coming in then let's try and stem them from that side at least.

You are 100% right about Cundy's credentials but were Atkinson fit he's be in there so it would read KALAS, KLOSE, ATKINSON, PRING; lots of height.

Just watched the goals again from Saturday and it has convinced me that JD has no future as a defender right side or left but as an offensive player he offers far, far more than COD who surely now has to be heading for the departure lounge!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The logic is that centre might appear to be his best position HERE but in 2 successful promotion sides it seems he played at RB. If part of our problem is preventing crosses coming in then let's try and stem them from that side at least.

You are 100% right about Cundy's credentials but were Atkinson fit he's be in there so it would read KALAS, KLOSE, ATKINSON, PRING; lots of height.

Just watched the goals again from Saturday and it has convinced me that JD has no future as a defender right side or left but as an offensive player he offers far, far more than COD who surely now has to be heading for the departure lounge!!

As I said in my previous reply he didn’t, he never even played there once for Fulham & did so 13 times in 15/16 & 11 in 14/15 in his 2 Boro loans, so he’s never had any season where he’s played the majority of it at RB.

Atkinson isn’t fit though, is he? Might as well mention Tanner, because he isn’t either.

I don’t know what to make of Dasilva, I’m not sure he offers us too much offensively, a neat & tidy footballer but he doesn’t really go anywhere.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As I said in my previous reply he didn’t, he never even played there once for Fulham & did so 13 times in 15/16 & 11 in 14/15 in his 2 Boro loans, so he’s never had any season where he’s played the majority of it at RB.

Atkinson isn’t fit though, is he? Might as well mention Tanner, because he isn’t either.

I don’t know what to make of Dasilva, I’m not sure he offers us too much offensively, a neat & tidy footballer but he doesn’t really go anywhere.

Might as well mention Baker too then!!! Only mentioned Atkinson as he is the only one of the crocks close [?] to a comeback so the more logical choice ahead of Cundy.

It doesn’t matter who plays where until Pearson can sort out the awful positional play and lack of marking. For the first goal on Saturday a basic high ball was hit to Yates at the far post. Guess who was marking him? Dasilva, the shortest player on the pitch! When Yates headed the ball back across the goal Hamilton had a simple tap in because the central defenders were all ball watching / out of position. I haven’t a clue what Cundy is like, but if he can maintain his position and mark attacking players he can’t be any worse than Saturday. It’s great to have creative ball playing defenders but what we need now are players who can just do basic defending. The current bunch, for some strange reason, can’t 

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It doesn’t matter who plays where until Pearson can sort out the awful positional play and lack of marking. For the first goal on Saturday a basic high ball was hit to Yates at the far post. Guess who was marking him? Dasilva, the shortest player on the pitch! When Yates headed the ball back across the goal Hamilton had a simple tap in because the central defenders were all ball watching / out of position. I haven’t a clue what Cundy is like, but if he can maintain his position and mark attacking players he can’t be any worse than Saturday. It’s great to have creative ball playing defenders but what we need now are players who can just do basic defending. The current bunch, for some strange reason, can’t 

It's been a problem for at least 2 years and isn't limited to their performances at City, Kalas for all his strengths is equally inept at defending a cross on international duty as he is in the championship.

I'd be tempted to go        Vyner - Klose - Kalas - Pring
Play the 3 midfielders            HNM - Scott - Williams 
and stick with the 3 for now Semenyo - Martin - Weimann (I would say Wells for Martin but we know that aint gonna happen)

I do wonder if having 2CBs might focus them more, it does sometimes feel they are leaving it to others in our defending.

• Like 3

The fundamental problem at the moment isn't the ability of any individual defender but the number of mistakes our defenders make when playing together.

Whatever we do defensively, I feel we need to do it for a few games and stick to it. I'm not against moving to 4 at the back but - if we do it - we need to give it a settle go. In terms of Kalas, the worry for me is - aside from Webster and a few promising moments with Atkinson earlier in the season - we've not had a defensive partnership which has worked well. He is probably our best defender but that doesn't automatically mean he is part of our best defensive unit and that's what Pearson needs to figure out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd be tempted to go        Vyner - Klose - Kalas - Pring
Play the 3 midfielders            HNM - Scott - Williams 
and stick with the 3 for now Semenyo - Martin - Weimann (I would say Wells for Martin but we know that aint gonna happen)

I do wonder if having 2CBs might focus them more, it does sometimes feel they are leaving it to others in our defending.

I really want us to go to a back 4…I never wanted us to move away from it.

The questions become how do we play the 6 in front of them.  I like the MF3, so becomes an issue with the front 3.

I’m loathe to move Semenyo into a wide forward role, when he’s been so explosive centrally.

I’m loathe to go 4312 with Weimann in the hole, because I think our two forwards will end up spending a lot of time doing shuttle runs between their CBs and FBs when we don’t have the ball, and when they don’t get it right it will drag our MF3 out of shape.

So I’m back to 433, without Martin, and very tempted to play Weimann on one side and Benarous on the other…but I think Nige might use Wells on Wednesday.

• Like 1

With the injuries we have, I think the team mid week will be the same as Saturday.

Personally I'd like us to go 442 or 433

My preference ATM would be...

_______________Bents_______________

DaSilva___Kalas_____Klose____Pring

____Scott____Williams____HNM_____

_____________Weimann______________

________Wells_________Semenyo_____

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really want us to go to a back 4…I never wanted us to move away from it.

The questions become how do we play the 6 in front of them.  I like the MF3, so becomes an issue with the front 3.

I’m loathe to move Semenyo into a wide forward role, when he’s been so explosive centrally.

I’m loathe to go 4312 with Weimann in the hole, because I think our two forwards will end up spending a lot of time doing shuttle runs between their CBs and FBs when we don’t have the ball, and when they don’t get it right it will drag our MF3 out of shape.

So I’m back to 433, without Martin, and very tempted to play Weimann on one side and Benarous on the other…but I think Nige might use Wells on Wednesday.

I'd like to think so, not so sure myself.

I'd happily have AS central and Weimann and Wells either side to play off Antoine . The added movement could suit him as he's tried playing Martin in on occasions, he just hasn't had the pace. If we went 4312, I'd have AS & AW then you could have COD , Benarous or Scott as 10. TBH I wouldn't want Scott out of the midfield 3, last chance for COD or AB comes in. It will be interesting. 
I look forward to the team sheet release nowadays ?

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It would be odd to switch to a back 4 for a midweek game. Maximum 2 training sessions to work on it. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Klose left out on Wednesday with either Vyner or Cundy starting.  Hopefully Williams to start too.

Certainly shouldn’t be underestimated that we signed this guy after he hadn’t played a game since last May & chucked him straight in when most were expecting him to ease in gently from the bench.

My hunch is that he’ll start again but with another game on Saturday & less recovery time as we play a day later, he might drop out of that one.

Normally a crucial match should be played with the best team available, but the risk of getting even more injuries because of dense fixtures frightens me even more than a possible bad result, so I'd give some rest to Martin and Klose and possibly Williams too.

_______________O'Leary_______________

Dasilva___Vyner_____Kalas____Pring

__Weimann____Scott____HNM_____

__Semenyo___Wells___O'Dowda_____

I guess that playing Williams after only four days would mean 90% injuring him again, and with no other experienced midfielders available, Andi's versatility could help a lot (he should be rested too, but he's our most influencial player).

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, headhunter said:

Kalas enjoyed two promotions to the Prem with Boro and Fulham where for both clubs he played mainly as right back rather than as a central defender. I seem to recall comments at the time he signed permanent for us that it was conditional on him being played in his "preferred position"!

Undoubtedly one of our best players this season, although some might question is he really all that when we have the 2nd worst defence in the division, is it time for Nigel to ask him to help us out in our problem position and allow us to line up like this against Reading

Bentley / Kalas, Cundy, Klose, Pring / Williams, HNM, Scott / Weimann / Semenyo, Martin [4-3-1-2]

You have two very experienced defenders, former internationals no less, helping out two relative rookie defenders, a more robust midfield and maintain the W-S-M combo up front.

If it were down to me I would rest Martin and play Semenyo and Weimann up top with Benarous or JD in instead to provide some width.

Thoughts?

Would like to see this . If weinman or Martin don't want to play bring on wells .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Normally a crucial match should be played with the best team available, but the risk of getting even more injuries because of dense fixtures frightens me even more than a possible bad result, so I'd give some rest to Martin and Klose and possibly Williams too.

_______________O'Leary_______________

Dasilva___Vyner_____Kalas____Pring

__Weimann____Scott____HNM_____

__Semenyo___Wells___O'Dowda_____

I guess that playing Williams after only four days would mean 90% injuring him again, and with no other experienced midfielders available, Andi's versatility could help a lot (he should be rested too, but he's our most influencial player).

Please tell me what he has done in any game this season, in fact over the past 5.5 years to justify inclusion in your suggested team.

Unbelievable that in the current squad he has amassed more appearances than any other member, FFS!!!

56 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Please tell me what he has done in any game this season, in fact over the past 5.5 years to justify inclusion in your suggested team.

Unbelievable that in the current squad he has amassed more appearances than any other member, FFS!!!

Not much overall: his best moments were probably some performances at the beginning of the 2017/18 season and last season when he played as CM to replace Weimann and co.

However, right now we don't have many options: Benarous could be needed in midfield, and my suggestion of exceptionally playing Andi in midfield leaves only the likes of Bell & Conway as attacking options, choices that in my suggested team would make the turnover excessive.

Talking about the original poster's question...I prefer Kalas as CB, so even in a back 4 I would leave him there, using Dasilva or Vyner as RB while waiting for Tanner's return. Theoricallly we have Simpson too, BUT... ?

Edited by Dan Robin