IGNORED

Great lyricists in rock and pop

AppyDAZE

Yes, we all know about the Dylans, the Lennons, the Bowies, the Morrisseys of this world, but I'm keen on hearing about some of the other lesser known natural born word-spinners in the rock world.

I've a few that I have as constant favourites to go back to and they include

Andy Partridge (XTC) Ric Ocasek (The Cars) Steve Kilbey (The Church) James Mercer (The Shins)

I know there are many others, but these blokes just seemed to be natural born geniuses when it came to putting pen to paper for song lyrics.

Edited by AppyDAZE

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Roger Waters - Pink Floyd. The best lyricist of them all imv.  Not an easy personality to get along with but a superb writer.

He wrote the lyrics of Dark side of the Moon including my favourite track  “time”…..

Springsteen, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell... I realise these aren't exactly lesser-known artists!

Edited by AshtonGreat

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Springsteen, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell... I realise these aren't exactly lesser-known artists!

Of course these artists are fantastic composers it when it comes to meaningful and actual  lyrics then Waters the top in my opinion.

A wonderful, wonderful lyricsist.. 

Elvis Costello, every time I hear "watching the Detectives I can see an old film. One of my fav tracks for lyrics.
I have to throw in some wild cards. Carter ? I loved how they played with words. Artic Monkeys ? Really enjoy how they use accents to rhyme 'summat' with stomach . Another of my favs, Ian McNabb & the Icicle Works . Through to The Men They Couldn't Hand. Great for little stories .
I could probably waffle on for ages, then end up at HMHB, so I'll stop now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, brilliant, wry lyrics. I give you Wrapped Up In Books, The Blues are still Blue and Step into my Office, Baby , for starters .

If She Want's Me is great too. 

I know I have spoken about Elvis Costello a lot on here but he is still the best for me. The opening lines of "The Loved Ones" a song about people who use violence to solve problems is one of the greatest opening verses in pop.

Don't get smart or sarcastic
He snaps back just like elastic
Spare us the theatrics and the verbal gymnastics
We break wise guys just like matchsticks

I think Lloyd Cole has written some great stuff  and Jarvis Cocker of Pulp. Donald Fagen (Steely Dan) and Paul Heaton, ( Housemartins, Beautiful South, and with Jacqui Abbot). Also Paddy McAloon (Prefab Sprout), Rickie Lee Jones and of course Simon Blackwell of (HMHB). 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'm still not over Hollis passing away, regardless of the fact he'd become a recluse.   Musical genius.

I think George Harrison was hell of a lyricist given the shadow he lived in.  

I love the fact he walked away from the music industry to bring up his family properly. A genius as you say.

He wasn't really a recluse though...just shunned fame and the industry.

Massive motorcycle enthusiast. Owned many and often went touring on them. Not many know that ?

• Like 1

Elvis Costello has already been mentioned in this thread - his lyrics are absolutely superb. 

Bob Dylan too. Many of his songs contain wonderful images. Tangled Up In Blue is one of his best - the way the narrative in the song shifts  

Justin Currie (Del Amitri) is also a very good lyricist - Nothing Ever Happens is an amazing song. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I haven’t scrolled thru the entire thread so as anyone mentioned Bob Dylan? Surely one of greatest lyricist of all times?

I started the thread by saying forget the obvious, well deserved lyrical heroes    ie Dylan Lennon Bowie  etc

Was asking for some of those less generally accepted as naturals but are nevertheless.

The guys (and gals) like Andy Partridge, who the man on the street wouldn't have a clue about, but are when you actually look at it, in the same league as the big guns.

They definitely tend to fall into two camps

The more literal (story telling) = Chris Difford Squeeze the best

and the abstract , words that just sound great and go with the music = Ric Ocasek The Cars

Maybe it's just me, but if the band doesn't have words that make you go hey,  I lose interest quickly.

Edited by AppyDAZE

I'm adding Gruff Rhys (Super Furry Animals) & Pete Shelley (the Buzzcocks) to that list.

Plus why has no one mentioned either Ray Davies or Paul Weller??!

If you want a wild card, I'm going to throw in Carl Puttnam of late80s/early 90s band Cud. His lyrics are wordy and funny as hell. 

16 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Mike Scott of The Waterboys is one of the most under-rated but utterly brilliant lyricist around.

Not that it affects his lyrical ability at all, but I met an ex-bandmate of Scott's over the Christmas period and he was vocal over what an arsehole the bloke is to work with. 

43 minutes ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Totally agree ,also Shane Macgowan, pure poetry despite his problems. 

Agree about Shane, but just a word about the late Philip Chevron, and his superbly moving lyrics for ‘Thousands are sailing’.  Also nice to see Mark Hollis and Mike Scott getting a mention, though Mike Scott does tend to wander off up his own fundament sometimes…

Just to change the subject a little though: the greatest single song lyrics ever written?  No question: America by Paul Simon.  “Cathy, I’m lost, I said, though I knew she was sleeping…”.  Astonishing.

• Like 1