IGNORED

Antoine Semenyo wins Championship Player of the Month award

iamalagerdrinker

I’ll hold my hands up and say, I could see a lot of promise in AS early on, but just had a nagging concern that the promise would come to nothing, due to lacking that vital composure and eye for goal.

Talk about blowing those doubts away!  What stunning progress from Antoine this season and doubt anyone could have predicted the massive leap he’s made in such a short time.  A fantastic achievement and such a richly deserved award.

It’s been a funny old season and although results haven’t been great on the pitch, that’s to be expected anyway.  Our big bonus this season is the amazing crop of young players we now have getting crucial Championship experience and that can only make them better.

Let’s just hope we can get them to choose to further their careers with us and if so, the future looks very bright.

19 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

Well deserved. When was the last time a city forward won player of the month?  

Checked back and I was surprised to see that Tammy never got the award in his season with us. He won it in his Villa season but not when with us.

I think it is just Flint x2 and now Semenyo who have ever won it for is since it was introduced in 2004.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Checked back and I was surprised to see that Tammy never got the award in his season with us. He won it in his Villa season but not when with us.

I think it is just Flint x2 and now Semenyo who have ever won it for is since it was introduced in 2004.

How many times has a G@s player won the Championship Player of the Month? Oh hang on. Wrong thread and wrong division.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

He's probably on what £3-4K per week? 3x increase, so we can get 'value off the pitch' in 18 months time? Will that be enough for him?

Current contract signed in 2019, yeah, he won’t be on much, not in the grand scheme of things.  If Pearson is trying to create a squad of more balanced range of wages, then if Weimann is on £10k p.w (all speculative) then you’d expect Antoine to be moving towards that figure.  We will not get a new striker of his type permanently or on loan for the extra £300-£350k p.a that is £3-4k p.w to £10k p.w.

Would be brilliant business if we can tie him down.

Was coming back from having my car serviced earlier and flicked onto TS…Simon Jordan was on with Jim White and I assume the “Martin” was Martin Keown.  Was talking about wages, and made the point that often Academy players are paid less than someone who’s joined the club from elsewhere.  Just said, that’s just what it is, but that predominantly it’s performances that drive a players wages.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Current contract signed in 2019, yeah, he won’t be on much, not in the grand scheme of things.  If Pearson is trying to create a squad of more balanced range of wages, then if Weimann is on £10k p.w (all speculative) then you’d expect Antoine to be moving towards that figure.  We will not get a new striker of his type permanently or on loan for the extra £300-£350k p.a that is £3-4k p.w to £10k p.w.

Was coming back from having my car serviced earlier and flicked onto TS. Simon Jordan was on with Jim White and I assume the “Martin” was Martin Keown.  Was talking about wages, and made the point that often Academy players are paid less than someone who’s joined the club from elsewhere.  Just said, that’s just what it is, but that predominantly it’s performances that drive a players wages.

It was Keown. I listen to TS pretty much every morning between 10am and 1pm? Although Jordan isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but he really does talk some absolute sense and is very scathing of the sports media which winds Jim White up.

Keown also knows of Semenyo. He was co-commentators when Newport played a cup match and was cooing about his performance then and predicted that AS has a promising future - how right he was.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was coming back from having my car serviced earlier and flicked onto TS…Simon Jordan was on with Jim White and I assume the “Martin” was Martin Keown.  Was talking about wages, and made the point that often Academy players are paid less than someone who’s joined the club from elsewhere.  Just said, that’s just what it is, but that predominantly it’s performances that drive a players wages.

That’s the same in real life, I did an audit at a building society I worked for on pay culture, where they had a salary band for each role, and was told by Head of HR the best way to get a pay rise was too leave, work somewhere else, then come back and negotiate your salary to get top whack!

• Like 1