IGNORED

The missing men

Red-Robbo

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's not going to be an easy February. ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nope…

Huge concern for me is the midfield, not just the defence. Going to have to play HNM/AS pretty much every game with JW every now and again with Benarous as backup. As @Davefevs said in another thread, you many have to play Weimann in the middle of the park, but that takes away from the threat upfront. It's a huge amount of pressure on the young lads, and if JW goes bang again we are in trouble.

EDIT : I wonder if NP would swallow his pride and recall Bakinson? 

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Huge concern for me is the midfield, not just the defence. Going to have to play HNM/AS pretty much every game with JW every now and again with Benarous as backup. As @Davefevs said in another thread, you many have to play Weimann in the middle of the park, but that takes away from the threat upfront. It's a huge amount of pressure on the young lads, and if JW goes bang again we are in trouble.

I don't think you can recall outside of the transfer window can you?

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Could put Vyner in there as well, although I do wonder if he's one of the ones who had his cards marked yesterday.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

James Morton played for the U23s the other day. Not saying he’s any sort of long term answer but he’s another body and has sone league experience. 

It’s very frustrating that we signed James and King in the summer - one with a terrible historic injury record, the other has barely played in 2+ years. Guess what? One’s had a terrible injury record, the other has barely played… it felt like a gamble at the time and has proved that way. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

James Morton played for the U23s the other day. Not saying he’s any sort of long term answer but he’s another body and has sone league experience. 

It’s very frustrating that we signed James and King in the summer - one with a terrible historic injury record, the other has barely played in 2+ years. Guess what? One’s had a terrible injury record, the other has barely played… it felt like a gamble at the time and has proved that way. 

Incredibly frustrating.  And I can be a big Pearson fan and still happily question him on this one, especially King.  James has played 20+1 this season, so not all bad.

I’d like to think he acknowledges this too, and we see a bit of movement away from this in the summer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Incredibly frustrating.  And I can be a big Pearson fan and still happily question him on this one, especially King.  James has played 20+1 this season, so not all bad.

I’d like to think he acknowledges this too, and we see a bit of movement away from this in the summer.

Too many eggs in the “gamble” basket. Especially when we add in Simpson, Weimann and Baker. All with questionable availability in the past couple of seasons. Weimann has paid of big-style. The rest…. not so. 

Of course what I don’t know is whether they were all we could afford… surely not with a little creative recruitment? 

As you say, hopefully lessons learned and a more balanced transfer approach in the summer, if our recruitment team is up to the task! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Too many eggs in the “gamble” basket. Especially when we add in Simpson, Weimann and Baker. All with questionable availability in the past couple of seasons. Weimann has paid of big-style. The rest…. not so. 

Of course what I don’t know is whether they were all we could afford… surely not with a little creative recruitment? 

As you say, hopefully lessons learned and a more balanced transfer approach in the summer, if our recruitment team is up to the task! 

I would argue that even before last season ended we knew the Simpson gamble hadn't worked.  Age had caught up with him and he had less pace than Captain Tom.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Bakinson, No way. He jogs back to defence and Dont know what to do. Rather Palmer if we are short of people. Not say that Palmer would make impact but he had few chances to play. As everybody know there is a player in Palmer, dont know why he Dont make it.

Just now, Garland-sweden said:

Bakinson, No way. He jogs back to defence and Dont know what to do. Rather Palmer if we are short of people. Not say that Palmer would make impact but he had few chances to play. As everybody know there is a player in Palmer, dont know why he Dont make it.

Palmer out injured out of interest.

42 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I would argue that even before last season ended we knew the Simpson gamble hadn't worked.  Age had caught up with him and he had less pace than Captain Tom.

Bit harsh on Captain Tom!!!
Completely agree. The signing of Simpson made no sense at all.  
NP’s signings have not worked, leaving him with last season’s squad…..for my money he has shot the confidence of Vyner and Atkinson.
I’ve a horrible feeling that by the end of this season we’ll be saying “if the season went on another month…” (again). 

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

NP’s signings have not worked, leaving him with last season’s squad…..for my money he has shot the confidence of Vyner and Atkinson.
I’ve a horrible feeling that by the end of this season we’ll be saying “if the season went on another month…” (again). 

I guess Simpson was a relatively cheap punt to take, but it was still as disastrous as the many Lee Johnson era flops we're always being reminded of.

Atko and Tanner were better acquisitions and it was a bit unlucky that they've been injured at a time when we could've really done with both being available. Re-signing Weimann was the best thing Pearson did though. We were lucky Andi didn't decide to return to Austria before we'd renegotiated terms with him.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I suspect if we see wholesale use of youngsters, NP and SL have agreed, after Saturday and their reported meeting, that relegation isn’t the worst option facing the club for next season

We won't see "wholesale use of youngsters". Where have you got that idea from? Next week we will see Bentley, Kalas, Klose, Dasilva, Martin and Weimann in the side. We will see Semenyo who must have 90+ league games under his belt, Pring with approaching 50 and Scott who has at least 20. You are just making stuff up followed by blind panic for no reason whatsover.

You have just shoehorned a non-point in to repeat your previous point about us presumably losing 12-14 games on the spin and getting relegated...........

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I think the 3 ex-Leicester signings happened because he didn't have any trust in the club's 'recruitment department' and so went with what he knew.  

I suspect things have pushed on a lot further now that certain players have come in and become bona fide first choice and others have fallen by the wayside. 

I can see a lot more comings and goings this summer.  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

but it was still as disastrous as the many Lee Johnson era flops we're always being reminded of.

A darn sight cheaper flop!

15 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I think the 3 ex-Leicester signings happened because he didn't have any trust in the club's 'recruitment department' and so went with what he knew.  

In a perverse way I hope that is the case….and I hope it’s changed as relationships build.

This summer is gonna tell us a lot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A darn sight cheaper flop!

True, but to be honest we can but speculate how many expensive flops Pearson might've signed had he access to the funds Johnson did and the, erm, recruitment expertise of Mark the shark.

The story of Leicester's ascent may suggest that answer would be "none", but as we know, others were intimately involved in building that side who aren't here with him now. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

True, but to be honest we can but speculate how many expensive flops Pearson might've signed had he access to the funds Johnson did and the, erm, recruitment expertise of Mark the shark.

The story of Leicester's ascent may suggest that answer would be "none", but as we know, others were intimately involved in building that side who aren't here with him now. 

Fair point but at least in recruitment terms we are not hamstrung by only being able to deal with players who fall under the umbrella of Swiss Toni's agent connections in the business. Why that should have been the case when Swiss was in charge of recruitment I really couldn't begin to wonder................

2 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Factually correct but you may not be taking into consideration that Matty  James and Andy King were also recruited to be leaders in the dressing room. The team spirit has been a significant improvement on the two previous years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1