IGNORED

The missing men

Red-Robbo

42 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I think the 3 ex-Leicester signings happened because he didn't have any trust in the club's 'recruitment department' and so went with what he knew.  

I suspect things have pushed on a lot further now that certain players have come in and become bona fide first choice and others have fallen by the wayside. 

I can see a lot more comings and goings this summer.  

100% to the first point, not sure about the second- think it depends on how many under contract we can shift.

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

James had a strong availability record last season. Think he played 23/23 for Coventry alone and a reasonable number for Barnsley.

Doesn’t fit the agenda, does it?

He played 39 games for Barnsley & Coventry last season..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Fair point but at least in recruitment terms we are not hamstrung by only being able to deal with players who fall under the umbrella of Swiss Toni's agent connections in the business. Why that should have been the case when Swiss was in charge of recruitment I really couldn't begin to wonder................

Dunno which was worse: the David Brent of football's shady deals, or old uncle Pete and his YouTube scouting approach..  :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dunno which was worse: the David Brent of football's shady deals, or old uncle Pete and his YouTube scouting approach..  :facepalm:

Over the piece I would have to go with Uncle Pete's You Tube and to be honest I'd rather grind my balls in a cheese grater for an hour or two than go with Uncle Pete.......

There's a word for Brent...................not one we need to use on here though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Huge concern for me is the midfield, not just the defence. Going to have to play HNM/AS pretty much every game with JW every now and again with Benarous as backup. As @Davefevs said in another thread, you many have to play Weimann in the middle of the park, but that takes away from the threat upfront. It's a huge amount of pressure on the young lads, and if JW goes bang again we are in trouble.

EDIT : I wonder if NP would swallow his pride and recall Bakinson? 

I keep hoping that the glorious day will dawn when we might see a midfield of HNM - James - Williams and Scott,  Currently feels like that fairground game of Wackamole where you get three fit then the fourth goes down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Factually correct but you may not be taking into consideration that Matty  James and Andy King were also recruited to be leaders in the dressing room. The team spirit has been a significant improvement on the two previous years.

“Leaders in the dressing room” has continually been mentioned since they were signed, but I don’t get it. It’s on the pitch where leaders are required and, on the odd occasion he played, King was OK but did nothing to inspire the rest of the team. If creating a good atmosphere in the dressing room is a requirement, why not sign Stoney Garnet?  He’d be a lot cheaper  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

“Leaders in the dressing room” has continually been mentioned since they were signed, but I don’t get it. It’s on the pitch where leaders are required and, on the odd occasion he played, King was OK but did nothing to inspire the rest of the team. If creating a good atmosphere in the dressing room is a requirement, why not sign Stoney Garnet?  He’d be a lot cheaper  

Can he play RWB?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I've always been a bit dubious of the claim too. It was the justification for twice extending Carey's contract when he wasn't actually playing much if at all but there was no evidence that having him as some kind of non-playing captain improved anything about the team that got relegated.

Even if it worked we don't have the luxury of employing people just for that purpose if they are not making a significant contribution on the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We won't see "wholesale use of youngsters". Where have you got that idea from? Next week we will see Bentley, Kalas, Klose, Dasilva, Martin and Weimann in the side. We will see Semenyo who must have 90+ league games under his belt, Pring with approaching 50 and Scott who has at least 20. You are just making stuff up followed by blind panic for no reason whatsover.

You have just shoehorned a non-point in to repeat your previous point about us presumably losing 12-14 games on the spin and getting relegated...........

What will be we shall see

PS I think you failed to read the word ‘if’ by the way in my last contribution which you comment on

Edited by Ivorguy

6 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Huge concern for me is the midfield, not just the defence. Going to have to play HNM/AS pretty much every game with JW every now and again with Benarous as backup. As @Davefevs said in another thread, you many have to play Weimann in the middle of the park, but that takes away from the threat upfront. It's a huge amount of pressure on the young lads, and if JW goes bang again we are in trouble.

Could he recall Moore and push Vyner to midfield?

Its not as if our defence could conceed many more goals anyway!

1 minute ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I suspect Simpson was used to give NP an 'insiders view' of the dressing room - report back to see who the 'wrong 'uns' were, so NP had more of a clue who he was working with.

I guess that's possible, but I think the fact he was a cheap and available defender was the real motive for bringing him here.  He hadn't actually worked under Pearson for 6 years before last season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess that's possible, but I think the fact he was a cheap and available defender was the real motive for bringing him here.  He hadn't actually worked under Pearson for 6 years before last season. 

Free transfer, re-signed on possibly lower wages to his initial contract…with the hope of getting us through to this summer.  It hasn’t worked, but let’s hope he’s added value off the pitch at least.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Free transfer, re-signed on possibly lower wages to his initial contract…with the hope of getting us through to this summer.  It hasn’t worked, but let’s hope he’s added value off the pitch at least.

Repainted the changing rooms?   He's quite good at litter picking as well apparently.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

I've always been a bit dubious of the claim too. It was the justification for twice extending Carey's contract when he wasn't actually playing much if at all but there was no evidence that having him as some kind of non-playing captain improved anything about the team that got relegated.

Even if it worked we don't have the luxury of employing people just for that purpose if they are not making a significant contribution on the pitch.

To be fair though King’s career has reached heights that Louis’ never did (though in his day he was a top defender for us) & we only offered King a year on what I fully expect were the lowest terms he’s been on in years.

I think the hope was he’d be in & around the squad for at least 50% of the games & his high standards (you don’t have the career he’s had otherwise) would rub off on others, but bluntly he hasn’t & I expect that we have seen the last of him in a City shirt.

Been told he’s been doing some coaching with the U18s whilst injured though & of all of those unlikely to get another playing contract he’s the one that I would not be shocked to see join the coaching ranks.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What would be the point of recalling Bakinson. You may as will give a chance to a youngster who will at least put some effort and desire in to a game.

18 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not having a pop at you but this is EXACTLY the short term thinking that the club needs to consign to the dustbin. You can see the fruits of giving players ninth and tenth chances (out of necessity unfortunately) in our capitulation on Sunday and a host of other capitulations recently. So to call back a player that has clearly been deemed a lazy bastard because we are not in fantastic form really isn't the way to go. That only enhances the Cosy Club mentality rather than gets rid of it.

It doesn't matter if 50 posters with an agenda on here think Bakinson has been harshly treated, the Manager has deemed him lazy, he only plays on his own terms and has binned him. He should never put our shirt on again, or certainly not while the current Manager is here anyway. Whether the decision is considered to be right or that Nige is a gert big bully who picks on players who run half the distance of other players picked in the same position (he has the stats, we don't) it has to be maintained for the greater good.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, The Bard said:

I think the 3 ex-Leicester signings happened because he didn't have any trust in the club's 'recruitment department' and so went with what he knew.  

I suspect things have pushed on a lot further now that certain players have come in and become bona fide first choice and others have fallen by the wayside. 

I can see a lot more comings and goings this summer.  

That’s my take on it, too.

To add to your point, the three of them were brought in to “set the standards” and looking at how Scott, Semenyo, Pring and Massengo are developing, they’re showing them the way. Too many people overlook that. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

2 months a lot of points to be won, strikes me as bad .

No, the point I’m making is that Palmer is injured, he said it isn’t something that needs an op…I.e. not that bad. Yet the speculation is 6-8 weeks.  That speculation appears to have come from “nowhere”.