IGNORED

Critical point

Clutton Caveman

I don’t envy the position the club are in, given no one could have planned for covid, but there comes a point when fans paying premier league prices at least expect a credible push for promotion to that league.

We’d need a buy and sell masterclass to offload our best assets, then replace them with like-for-like as well as bolster the defence.

18 hours ago, marmite said:

We could balance the books with a hefty residue if we sell our top players, Massengo, Scott, Semenyo, Pring, Benarous, possibly raising as much as 70 million plus for the lot but next year we will be fighting a relegation battle to stay out of League 1. We have to change our approach and ambition. Summer 2023 could see few of the present squad remaining unless we become more ambitious.

We have to change our recruitment- the realistic posistion is we will have to sell all 3 of those players, however, we need to have identified and recruited the replacement before they have gone, that’s where we have failed so miserably over the last 5 years.

We’re a selling club but as far as i can see we have not replaced players adequately over the last few seasons. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I suppose if they are taking the piss.

Though still probably tempting just to not lose quite as much!

He isn't going to play I don't think again for us.

I still hope I am wrong and he can do what he's capable of, but it looks unlikely he would even get the chance.

I think the best basis for a KP loan is that the club getting him pay X % of his salary but with add ons  for appearances, assists and goals.

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Did that better eye see Simpson?

I’ve always suspected Simpson and King especially were men he trusted and would have been his ears in the dressing room, sussed the culture and informed NP of the real problems he had on his hands. 

• Like 3

I'd be happy if we had a big clear out.

Out of our sought after youngsters, I'd let Massengo move on if the money was right, with the thinking Williams can play more often. Scott, Benarous and Williams could develop in midfield next season.

Of the others...Simpson, Odowda, Wells, Palmer, Vyner, King, Bakinson, Moore....maybe Martin if similar can be found...all found other clubs.

To put the cat amongst the pigeons...and this will be really marmite... I'd see whether we could get good money for Weimann. He's going to be 31 next season, his stock is high at the moment, scoring and assisting. If we could get money, replace and develop Bell etc, give a pathway, then imo it would make sense. Plus...just to give us a change of the way we play and set up with Weimann in the side. Imo... he's best in a middle 2 upfront. Because of his energy we have often fitted him in other positions, which counters his positives. His tracking is woeful and often puts pressure on the midfield and defence when defending. He'd be the one up top I'd leave always.

Controversial I know...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I'd be happy if we had a big clear out.

Out of our sought after youngsters, I'd let Massengo move on if the money was right, with the thinking Williams can play more often. Scott, Benarous and Williams could develop in midfield next season.

I agree, I would love to see Massengo develop over the next couple of years, but I think he may have to go to provide funds. Plus there's the contract thing.

Of the others...Simpson, Odowda, Wells, Palmer, Vyner, King, Bakinson, Moore....maybe Martin if similar can be found...all found other clubs.

My controversial bit here is, I'd keep Vyner . Wont be on big money, plus I think there is a good player there if we can get it out of him.

To put the cat amongst the pigeons...and this will be really marmite... I'd see whether we could get good money for Weimann. He's going to be 31 next season, his stock is high at the moment, scoring and assisting. If we could get money, replace and develop Bell etc, give a pathway, then imo it would make sense. Plus...just to give us a change of the way we play and set up with Weimann in the side. Imo... he's best in a middle 2 upfront. Because of his energy we have often fitted him in other positions, which counters his positives. His tracking is woeful and often puts pressure on the midfield and defence when defending. He'd be the one up top I'd leave always.

Controversial I know...

I doubt we would get a lot for Weimann, not in the current market. Plus he adds a bit of experience and I'd be looking to start Semenyo and him as a pair, Scott behind feels a more natural fit.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I can’t see us keeping Massengo and as much as I’d like to see him develop further at City, I do think we would adjust to him leaving more than the potential that Semenyo and Scott provide. The only way we would keep him is if we did a “Brownhill” with him by putting in a good release clause. Just think that he has all the cards and we’ll need to sell to offset FFP danger. This might also provide us with any funds at all to use in the summer, particularly if we get a reasonable sell on from one of Webster, Brownhill, Kelly moves should that happen as well.