IGNORED

Talk sport and the city model

The turtle

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Which ones, Ivor?

Where he says we are underperforming.  A direct criticism of Nige made in interview and not man to man behind closed doors.  Appalling man managment style.

Moreover many, like me, think we are over performing given the mess he and his father have created and Nige is slowly rectifying.

• Like 1

We only have ourselves to blame for our poor financial results and inability to make it to the top flight during the Lansdown years.

Huge lack of football knowledge in the boardroom during this time has resulted in multiple failed strategies and mostly poor manager/coach choices.

Don’t get me started on the Ashton trading model.  Pearson is spot on with his observations.

• Like 5

Both are correct from their own perspectives.

On paper, we are under-performing. Cost of Players Fees and Salaries, the Academy, Coaching et al, I suspect, puts us mid-table. Possibly, marginally above mid-table. Add in ‘value’ of infrastructure - HPC and the stadium/pitch. Was it not Danny Wilson who said that the best investment the Club could make to improve the football side of things was a new training ground? 

Football ain’t played on paper though.

Nige inherited a woeful squad, unbalanced, injury prone, over paid, unmotivated. Are the players under performing? Mixed. Certainly some are, others never had it in the first place and are incapable of improving. A number though are over performing.  Are the management under-performing? Well, they’ve stabilised a Club that was heading only in one direction - League 1 and, quite possibly, on to League 2.

So, while I hoped for better by now, there are signs that we may have turned the corner. Under performing management? Semenyo, Scot and HNM have managed to haul things up to ‘par’ for me. 

So, I think they’re both correct Jon from a financial investment view, Nige from a pure football perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Where he says we are underperforming.  A direct criticism of Nige made in interview and not man to man behind closed doors.  Appalling man managment style.

Moreover many, like me, think we are over performing given the mess he and his father have created and Nige is slowly rectifying.

How do you know Pearson hasn't been told behind closed doors ?

I assume you don't agree with NPs modus operandi of throwing players under the bus in post game interviews either then ?

I do think though that todays press conference was NPs best yet. Considered, polite, thoughtful, informative, humorous (in the right places), still direct but not awkward for awkwards sake. Very good.

9 hours ago, Midred said:

He seems to know more about the rules now than when he was playing! ?

He (Brian Moore) knew the rules, when he was playing, but just decided to put his own “interpretation” on them for the benefit of himself and the team. 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the £30m point I don't quite get another aspect.

Our audited accounts show that we made £30m or so as it is in Transfer Profits. Can see how too- Webster, Brownhill, Eliasson, Szmodics and some add ons from Reid or similar? Have I missed anyone.

Oh yes. Eisa, Pack, Morrell, Smith, Holden.

Which season or period exactly is the £30m referring to? Is it an additional (mythical) £30m?

I can only imagine they wanted to up 20/21s from £6m to £15m and 21/22 from £0 to £15m.

That ship sailed earlier today with the EFL announcement.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I don't necessarily see that as an intended criticism of NP. City are underperforming, given the size of Bristol, the investment here over the years. I'd hope Lansdown Jr has enough intelligence to realise that cannot be laid in any way at Pearson's door.

I think if the Lansdowns thought the underperformance was because Nigel Pearson is a bad manager, he would have been out of here. 

They must read and here what most City fans are saying. This bloke is our best chance of a rebuild and of correcting the errors of seasons past. 

• Like 1