IGNORED

Englands fixtures in the Nations league

Never to the dark side

One point.......prior to the penalty being awarded, quite sometime after the foul on Bellingham, Harry Kane shot just past the post

If Kane's shot had gone in, would the referee still have checked the monitor, and if so, would we have still been given the penalty as well as the goal by Kane?   I think i know the answer, but do i?   

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

One point.......prior to the penalty being awarded, quite sometime after the foul on Bellingham, Harry Kane shot just past the post

If Kane's shot had gone in, would the referee still have checked the monitor, and if so, would we have still been given the penalty as well as the goal by Kane?   I think i know the answer, but do i?   

No, if it goes in then the ref isn't sent to check for the penalty.

Though with the amount of time that had passed the VAR man would have already looked at it, and by the time play stopped he was in a position to immeditaely tell the ref to go and look at the screen as it was an obvious penalty.

38 minutes ago, maxjak said:

No

14 hours ago, The Bard said:

I'm a big fan of Chilwell and am struggling to understand what Southgate has against him.  Last year he was MOTM in the Champions League Final and then didn't get a kick for England at the Euros. Obviously Southgate thinks Shaw is better but no one can tell me there is more than a whisker between the pair of them.  Really very odd and the sort of thing that makes you realise the manager needs to change as he isn't  best using the talent at his disposal (see TAA).  

I'd cerainly have Chilwell in the squad and would play him or Shaw dependant on who was in the best form, especially defensively as like Pearson I like Defenders who can defend. For the same reason I'd bomb out Maguire and play Tomori. 

• Like 1

• Admin
40 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Was that not a pub we were designated to v Hull? seem to remember me and my lot going there on my one and only visit to the new Wembley.

Yeah it was, as you come out of the main tube station the pub is off to the right

Seemed an odd pub to target last night in the sense that they would not get many problems from those in there drinking, but then maybe that is why this venue was targeted because the many pubs around the area they would have come unstuck they avoided

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, redkev said:

Sort of feel sorry for McGuire was obviously very good couple of seasons back and had never let England down & still in my eyes never let England down last night ( mistakes yes letting your country down no ) but like other posters say he looks shot to bits , got to remember he is just a lad in his twenties ( earning very good money mind ) playing football but seems to have the whole of England on his back , the bloke has feelings and is human this can’t be easy for him either . 

Agree, I think it has become rather personal and out of order specifically from Man Utd fans towards him. He's a human, not a robot. Should have not played these 2 games to take attention away from him.

Says a lot about his character that he keeps on giving his best, but it just hasn't been good enough over the last year. It's a shame

• Like 2

Watching Maguire brings back painful memories of Liam Fontaine. Seemed a decent guy and played well for us at times but had a huge dip in form/confidence and was then given the captaincy which really seemed to compound his problems when he really needed some time out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

No, if it goes in then the ref isn't sent to check for the penalty.

Though with the amount of time that had passed the VAR man would have already looked at it, and by the time play stopped he was in a position to immeditaely tell the ref to go and look at the screen as it was an obvious penalty.

Doesn't make sense......as the penalty area foul and the Kane goal (If it had occurred) would have been two separate   issues, which should be treated as completely different incidents. I do wonder if the laws of the game have been changed accordingly to keep up with the introduction of VAR, as the foul and a goal, will eventually turn up one day, the longer it goes between VAR intervention.  I guess the foul would obviate the goal , due to the offence having taken place previously?

But One day it will happen that the penalty awarded after a goal has been scored  ....    will be missed,   ( Murphy's Law) which will then be double jeopardy...Ha!

41 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Doesn't make sense......as the penalty area foul and the Kane goal (If it had occurred) would have been two separate   issues, which should be treated as completely different incidents. I do wonder if the laws of the game have been changed accordingly to keep up with the introduction of VAR, as the foul and a goal, will eventually turn up one day, the longer it goes between VAR intervention.  I guess the foul would obviate the goal , due to the offence having taken place previously?

But One day it will happen that the penalty awarded after a goal has been scored  ....    will be missed,   ( Murphy's Law) which will then be double jeopardy...Ha!

Think of it as an extended version of the referee playing advantage. If we score there is no need to award the penalty as the goal is better than the penalty. 

• Admin

Whilst Maguire maybe should have been focused on the free kick for the first, why was Dier (I think) playing the ball to him when he was obviously focused on shouting at a teammate upfield at the time. This put Maguire under pressure straight away which led to the possession loss and finger pointing but seems not to be mentioned by anyone. They were looking at Maguire when taking the kick and it was patently obvious he was not ready to receive the ball.

Predicted England squad for the World Cup if everyone is fit. Only real question I can see is maybe Rashford ahead of Ward-Prowse or Guehi if MR hits some good form and Southgate feels there is enough cover in midfield without JWP or centre back with MG

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, James, Trent, Walker, Trippier, Chilwell, Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Dier, Guehi, Coady, Rice, Henderson, Bellingham, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling, Saka, Kane, Abraham

Nice comeback, shame we couldn't see it out but was a notable improvement in a range of ways.

Maguire, has he run his race? Errors seem to continue, concessions of goals or big opportunities ie the penalty. Only seen some short clips, highlights for this but it it's on catchup intend to watch it all this week- bit more optimistic than I was Friday though.

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Predicted England squad for the World Cup if everyone is fit. Only real question I can see is maybe Rashford ahead of Ward-Prowse or Guehi if MR hits some good form and Southgate feels there is enough cover in midfield without JWP or centre back with MG

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, James, Trent, Walker, Trippier, Chilwell, Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Dier, Guehi, Coady, Rice, Henderson, Bellingham, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling, Saka, Kane, 

He more or less said its either Trent or Chilwell the other day which, to my mind is criminal. Think it'll be Chilwell due to Saka so clearly being an asset further forward.

That would create a spot for another 9. Don't be surprised if it's Calvert-Lewin. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale, James, Trent, Walker, Trippier, Chilwell, Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Dier, Guehi, Coady, Rice, Henderson, Bellingham, Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling, Saka, Kane, Abraham

Why do we need 11 defenders?

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Why do we need 11 defenders?

As @The Bardsaid he may take 10 I guess as two strikers is light. I just think that if Kane and Abraham were injured he’d play Sterling or Foden rather than, say, Toney.  I think 24 of the 26 I listed are nailed on but agree that Trent might miss out which seems incredible really. 

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

As @The Bardsaid he may take 10 I guess as two strikers is light. I just think that if Kane and Abraham were injured he’d play Sterling or Foden rather than, say, Toney.  I think 24 of the 26 I listed are nailed on but agree that Trent might miss out which seems incredible really. 

I think Rashford will go if fit as he has started the season well. I do like Tammy but if Kane gets injured we really are screwed. Agree on TAA somebody with that much attacking talent needs to in the squad at least.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Am I the only one who cannot generate any enthusiasm for this tournament. 

And I have travelled quite a bit supporting England

Just find the whole squad very uninspiring, the manager is backward thinking, should not be held in the winter and definitely not in quatar

I am looking forward to watching other Nations like Brazil and Argentina who tend to play on the front foot currently. I don't think any European team right now are really on it and none look very exciting which doesn't help.

• Like 1