IGNORED

Timm Klose

Robbored

Sitting in my new location in the Lansdown last night I had a much closer view of his contribution to the game and could see from his positional sense and anticipation what a decent player he is - however when in possession he seemed to hesitate before knocking it sideways, getting back and doing the same thing before playing it back to Bentley who wellied it up the pitch.  Several times he had Dasliva further up on his left but didn’t play it to him……………:dunno:

Others around me were getting frustrated and yelling for him to play a forward pass. He really slowed the game down. I saw Nige talk to him during a break in play and wondered if he was under instructions. 

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

Just now, Robbored said:

Sitting in my new location in the Lansdown last night I had a much closer view of his contribution to the game and could see from his positional sense and anticipation what a decent player he is - however when in possession he seemed to hesitate before knocking it sideways, getting back and doing the same thing before playing it back to Bentle who wellied it up the pitch Several times he had Dasliva further up on his left but didn’t play it to him……………:dunno:

Others around me were getting frustrated and yelling for him to play a forward pass. He really slowed the game down. I saw Nige talk to him during a break in play and wondered if he was under instructions. 

He often had absolutely nothing on up the field so had to go sideways/backwards. 

Midfield weren't moving much to get into areas to receive the ball.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Sitting in my new location in the Lansdown last night I had a much closer view of his contribution to the game and could see from his positional sense and anticipation what a decent player he is - however when in possession he seemed to hesitate before knocking it sideways, getting back and doing the same thing before playing it back to Bentley who wellied it up the pitch.  Several times he had Dasliva further up on his left but didn’t play it to him……………:dunno:

The first half mainly consisted of Kalas and Klose passing between themselves it was painful to watch. 2nd half was played much more quickly which suited us more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

A forward pass can only really be made if the players infront of the defence are making the space to enable him to do so. Coventry's midfield in the first half were not allowing our midfield much space so Kalas and Klose just ended up passing amongst them. 

We got the ball up the pitch much quicker second half using Martin who was good in the air last night and won plenty.

1 minute ago, Super said:

We got the ball up the pitch much quicker second half using Martin who was good in the air last night and won plenty.

It was clearly Plan B as Plan A to play through wasn't working for the last 20 minutes of the 1st half. Players were too static and Dasilva was hugging the touchline which didn't help.

Pointless criticising a player who hasn't really put a foot wrong since coming to the club in Klose

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

He often had absolutely nothing on up the field so had to go sideways/backwards. 

Midfield weren't moving much to get into areas to receive the ball.

Yes, first half, we tended to have a back 4, plus Scott, then the forward 5 all in a line.  Ok, I’m exaggerating the positional stuff a bit, but our movement was a bit basic.  Both CBs and keeper out of shot here, but you can see how we are trying to keep Bell and Dasilva wide to stretch them, but there isn’t enough rotation from Benarous, Massengo and Weimann to create passing lanes into our front two.  Nor can we play into midfield.6AA8ED96-2C24-4CF1-90C8-936F17ABFFB7.thumb.jpeg.0a3b52fb4df206791c78345b43143926.jpeg

Second half we managed to get 20 yards further up the pitch and Massengo and Benarous started to find pockets.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What is the PA system like over there Robbo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It was clearly Plan B as Plan A to play through wasn't working for the last 20 minutes of the 1st half. Players were too static and Dasilva was hugging the touchline which didn't help.

Pointless criticising a player who hasn't really put a foot wrong since coming to the club in Klose

I’m not criticising Klose at all, he’s a good CB - just pointing out that he was hesitant when in possession and it wasn’t always because he had no options, several times he had Dasliva on his left but didn’t use him and I’m wondering if he was under instructions. 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Was obviously a tactic to pull Cov towards us and try to then get in behind them.... It didnt work. Looked much better with WIlliams playing the dropping in role in the second half. 

• Like 2

Dasilva was often quite advanced. That meant the pass from Klose had to be accurate to avoid being intercepted and that Klose had to trust JD to control the ball in a tight space between the touch line and a couple of players - the forward dropping back and their right sided midfielder / full-back. Basically the pass was slightly riskier. As well as not passing out to Dasilva, it also meant that often when the pass did come, it was behind him which meant the ball getting recycled back.

With more games like last night, Klose is going to increasingly trust that Dasilva can look after the ball reliably in small pockets and may choose to play to him more often. And if he doesn't, Jay will have to drop deeper to make the pass feel less risky to Klose.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have you moved permanently?

We’re allowed three SC moves per season and last night was the first of the three so I’ll be there for the next two games but will move there permanently next season.

Its where the guys that I car share with all sit so it makes sense to move.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not criticising Klose at all, he’s a good CB - just pointing out that he was hesitant when in possession and it wasn’t always because he had no options, several times he had Dasliva on his left but didn’t use him and I’m wondering if he was under instructions. 

I read an article a while back where Arsenal CB Ben White explained that he tried to avoid passing to the full back, unless the FB is in lots of space, as that ball is often targeted by the opponents press. 

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did you watch the Coventry runners who were straight on to balls played in to feet of our full backs?

Thats when we needed more options in midfield, which we didn’t really get in the first half. Shame Williams wasn’t able to start.

Edited by David Brent

Not directly related to the OP but for the first time last night I thought that he looked absolutely shattered with 10/15 minutes to go & he must have been absolutely delighted Coventry didn’t press him with the ball.

It has been some effort by him to play 90 minutes in 6 straight games after no competitive football in 8 months, but we do need to manage him carefully.

Not sure how many more times we will play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday as we have had relatively few called off but he looked in need of a rest to me.

Not sure being asked to play on the left suits him, either though he is experienced enough to understand his game & give it a go.

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Did you watch the Coventry runners who were straight on to balls played in to feet of our full backs?

Thats when we needed more options in the first half, which we didn’t really get in the first half. Shame Williams wasn’t able to start.

He doesn’t understand stuff like that, mate.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’re allowed three SC moves per season and last night was the first of the three so I’ll be there for the next two games but will move there permanently next season.

Its where the guys that I car share with all sit so it makes sense to move.

I heard they went to a different ground, never mind a different stand ??

Seriously, interested in how you find the difference.

I’ll happily take on your role as resident Dolman grumbler about the PA ?

Agree in part about lack of movement ahead of both Kalas and Klose, yet they both laboured when on the ball. Stretch the play quicker utilising your full backs. With Dasilva and often Bell on the touch lines, it should be touch and out to the full backs. Instead it was one touch, another, a turn back the other way allowing Coventry to reset. Driving the ball in to them. Some of the passing was at snails pace.

The difference second half was that Martin went back through the middle which gave us a focal point. First half he was playing from the left hand side with Semenyo through the middle. For all of his good performances recently Antoine couldn't keep hold of the ball in the first half. Much more involved second half when reverting to the wide forward role.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I felt we sorely missed Willians coming and collecting it.

Massengo and Scott wanted the ball but they rarely just dropped 10 to collect it, then turn and go.

Lots of progress still to come.

I love what we’re building and the ethos and team that’d shaping.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think (as has been said) it was partly trying to move Cov around to make space, also there were times the forwards were static. 
The ball I would have like him to try, was a ball into the corner space. Semenyo was waving for it all night, and had the beating of his man. I thought a few longer passes to get them to turn. 

I was more annoyed the other side, it was almost like Kalas didn't want to pass to Bell.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

If you're anywhere near section 16 in the lower, I apologise for my language, if you're not you can **** off ?

37 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Thats when we needed more options in midfield, which we didn’t really get in the first half. Shame Williams wasn’t able to start.

We went more direct second half and it worked. 

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not directly related to the OP but for the first time last night I thought that he looked absolutely shattered with 10/15 minutes to go & he must have been absolutely delighted Coventry didn’t press him with the ball.

It has been some effort by him to play 90 minutes in 6 straight games after no competitive football in 8 months, but we do need to manage him carefully.

Not sure how many more times we will play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday as we have had relatively few called off but he looked in need of a rest to me.

Not sure being asked to play on the left suits him, either though he is experienced enough to understand his game & give it a go.

He doesn’t understand stuff like that, mate.

I thought he took a knock or two and appeared to be struggling for a while, the bench had Vyner up and warming up.

I've seen all the games he's played since he joined and have been very impressed. Thankfully he was able to continue.