IGNORED

63 goals conceded in 35 games

pl00peh91

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, we played Sam Bell there last week v Boro….that was ok.  We played Dasilva there on Tuesday…that was ok.  You can’t have your cake and eat it?  So was it astonishing?

I never said it was alright to play an 18 year old centre forward at right back !!

Yes astonishing but not surprised.

2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but how on Earth are we expected to make any level of progress when our forwards are routinely expected to score three goals for us to win the game? 

We have Kalas and Klose, two CBs who have both secured promotion out of the Championship before playing in a defence which is more porous than a house on a flood plane during Storm Eunice.

We signed Danny Simpson for absolutely no reason whatsoever despite our financial difficulties and have chosen instead to rely on youth to fill the RB / RWB spot instead.

We are five points worse off after 35 games than last season and in my view the only reason the defence is getting relatively easy ride from the fans in terms of criticism is because the bottom 3 are probably the worst we have seen in the Championship in living memory, and two out of the bottom four have suffered points deductions. This time last year Rotherham were 22nd with 32 points, for example. 

You are welcome to tell me I am being overly negative and I appreciate our young players have improved a lot, and that our future looks brighter than it did 12 months ago. But is it too much to ask to watch our team keep a clean sheet for once in a while, especially given the level of experience within the CB position? Kalas cost £8m and Dasilva cost a packet too I think - it really shouldn’t be as bad as it is.

Anyway, rant over and enjoy your evening!

Yes it is annoying, but we defended crosses well today. Their first was a deflection, although Pring was being roasted, the second they got around us and we didn’t close the shooter quickly enough. However we were rubbish going forward. 

I never quite get the constant references to what is seemingly a signing that never came off. Eff me we have made a bloody hobby of it over the last five years but somehow Danny bloody Simpson is the tragic error. The list of bollox that Lee Johnson purchased for multi millions is endless and was a factor in why Simpson was brought in. He’s Not played granted, but I would rather play our boys in what is a chance to blood them that was not offorded to our kids in such a way since Alan Dicks. 

As for Danny Simpson, hopefully he effs off as soon as possible so I don’t have to read his name again

Rant over. 

9 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Scott wing back.

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

I never said it was alright to play an 18 year old centre forward at right back !!

Yes astonishing but not surprised.

Feels like you’re jumping on a defeat to have a dig, with an argument that you could’ve last week, but because we won, you couldn’t make it.  Would give you more credit if you’d made the argument in the last week, and had courage in your conviction / logic.  Instead you just wait for a defeat.

We are trying to “get by”, it’s sub-optimal….shit happens.  I’m happy to be patient.  I’m happy to accept sub-optimal / inconsistency at this point of the rebuild.

Fine if you aren’t. 

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Feels like you’re jumping on a defeat to have a dig, with an argument that you could’ve last week, but because we won, you couldn’t make it.  Would give you more credit if you’d made the argument in the last week, and had courage in your conviction / logic.  Instead you just wait for a defeat.

We are trying to “get by”, it’s sub-optimal….shit happens.  I’m happy to be patient.  I’m happy to accept sub-optimal / inconsistency at this point of the rebuild.

Fine if you aren’t. 

So you agree we shouldn't be playing 18 year old centre forwards at fight back ?  When we have an actual right back signed last season on £7000 a week(ish) sat at home ?

Look back at my comments on a back four with this squad. Been consistent I think you'll find. 

"sub-optimal" - Brilliant !! 

Edited by VT05763

Just now, VT05763 said:

So you agree we shouldn't be playing 18 year old centre forwards at fight back ? 

Look back at my comments on a back four with this squad. Been consistent I think you'll find. 

"sub-optimal" - Brilliant !! 

I’m an ideal world, no we shouldn’t. But there are reasons why we are, they are reasons why we are playing a left back at right back.

what’s your point re the term “sub-optimal”?

I know your comments on a back 4.  Formation, back three or back 4 have not really made any difference to results have they?

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m an ideal world, no we shouldn’t. But there are reasons why we are, they are reasons why we are playing a left back at right back.

I know your comments on a back 4.  Formation, back three or back 4 have not really made any difference to results have they?

We have the players for a back 3 (not a back 4).

The players need to be coached and organised better in the only system we can put out with the individuals left at the club.

Playing an 18 year old centre forward at right back should never be an option.

We are dealing in lesser of evils here.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No doubt there are reasons, particularly Tanner's absence, but it would be nice to know why Simpson was signed ,presumably as a player Nigel trusted, yet we play a whole series of makeshift options at right back.

Not that I expect anyone to have the nerve to ask Nigel so I expect Simpson will leave quietly in the summer and no more will be said.

7 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

We have the players for a back 3 (not a back 4).

The players need to be coached and organised better in the only system we can put out with the individuals left at the club.

Playing an 18 year old centre forward at right back should never be an option.

We are dealing in lesser of evils here.

I disagree.  By the very same token, we would have to play players at WBs who aren’t WBs, Alex Scott for starters.  I love the fact that he’s done really well playing there, but he’s not a WB.  FWIW I don’t think Jay Dasilva is a WB either, but I accept others may have a different view.  O’Dowda isn’t either.

I’m not sure it is the lesser of two evils…I think it’s more correlated to not having our best players available…and back three or back makes very little difference.  We aren’t at a maturity of rebuild where we can switch systems and expect it to define a result / performance.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

No doubt there are reasons, particularly Tanner's absence, but it would be nice to know why Simpson was signed ,presumably as a player Nigel trusted, yet we play a whole series of makeshift options at right back.

Not that I expect anyone to have the nerve to ask Nigel so I expect Simpson will leave quietly in the summer and no more will be said.

Over to you @VT05763, you’re the man with the inside line at Failand?  Of course if it’s sensitive then I wouldn’t expect you to divulge anything.

• Haha 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

I disagree.  By the very same token, we would have to play players at WBs who aren’t WBs, Alex Scott for starters.  I love the fact that he’s done really well playing there, but he’s not a WB.  FWIW I don’t think Jay Dasilva is a WB either, but I accept others may have a different view.  O’Dowda isn’t either.

I’m not sure it is the lesser of two evils…I think it’s more correlated to not having our best players available…and back three or back makes very little difference.  We aren’t at a maturity of rebuild where we can switch systems and expect it to define a result / performance.

Agree to disagree then.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Poor signing. Saw the logic at the time.

Hope to see better recruitment this summer.

Poor signing indeed but that still leaves the question of why Nigel signed a player he presumably knows well but now passes him over in favour of picking almost anybody out of position at right back.

Is that not a legitimate question? It's perfectly possible to be pro Nigel but still question some of his decisions.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Poor signing. Saw the logic at the time.

Hope to see better recruitment this summer.

On this I agree but apart from it seemed obvious a player who couldn't get into relegation dodging Huddersfields team was in no way an upgrade on Hunt at RB.

Not sure he is cheaper either ? must be quite the entertainer behind the scenes.

The recruitment has to be spot on this Summer, probably going to have to sell at least one, maybe 2 of Scott, Bentley, HNM, Seymenyo and Weimann to fund future NP wants.

We may get something from Webster, Kelly and Brownhill sales also.

Not saying he can't do it and he has next to no budget so far so difficult to judge but Simpson is definitely a "red flag" and needs to be a one off. 

We will have to get some sort of recruitment  department in place though.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Poor signing indeed but that still leaves the question of why Nigel signed a player he presumably knows well but now passes him over in favour of picking almost anybody out of position at right back.

Is that not a legitimate question? It's perfectly possible to be pro Nigel but still question some of his decisions.

Careful !!

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Careful !!

Why careful? I don't think anybody thinks it is forbidden to question Nigel sometimes while still thinking he is the right man for the job.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Could it be that NP realises that Simpson is no longer up to the task and therefore won’t risk him in the team. 

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Of course it is.

the rest of this post (waffle?) is a general set of comments, not aimed at anyone.

I’m pro-Nige, but he’s made mistakes.  You’d have to be a bit bonkers to not see any faults though.  Some of those mistakes are likely to be shown-up because of many reasons…call them excuses if you like

My position is that I can see beyond faults, I look at other things too, not just results and performances.  I do think the “club” would be worse off at this stage without him guiding us through.

I set what I think was a reasonable expectation level at the start of the season.

Whilst letting 10+ players go, several fans were saying we needed 10-12 new signings.  The reality is that they were probably right.  The problem was that we couldn’t afford 10-12 new signings (and I’m not talking Baker or Weimann re-signings either).  It’s why when I wrote for the Bristol Post pre-season that I thought we’d make 4 or 5 signings and striker would be the lowest priority.  If you have a reasonable understanding of the financial position you realise Nige’s hands are tied.  And that drove my expectation level, middle-eight, but likely to be bottom end of it.  Which is where we are.

This is what I wrote in part of that piece:

If you were in charge of Bristol City’s recruitment this summer, where would you be strengthening and why?

I’d start at the back and in particular the spine.  Assuming Danny Simpson signs his contract, I’d move Zak Vyner to right-back and let him and Simpson cover that slot.  That’s one less position to recruit, leaving the focus on Centre-Back.  Currently we are left with Tomas Kalas and Taylor Moore, backed up by the ever-improving Robbie Cundy.  He can force his way into first-team plans with a good pre-season, but I want two new central defenders, one of which must be dominant in the air.  More on that later!

From there I move into central midfield, where although City have Joe Williams, Tyreeq Bakinson, Han-Noah Massengo and Adam Nagy in the more conventional midfield roles, I would like one more. That one would ideally be more in the mould of Williams, and you can see why Matty James has been mentioned in dispatches.  I’d be all over Keirnan Dewsbury-Hall though, surely Pearson can use his Leicester connections, and will already know “KDH”.

As strikers are usually the most costly and the good ones are courted by clubs further up the pecking order, I will be content to go into the season with Wells and Martin, backed up by a couple of the young-guns.  Take your pick of two from four (Conway, who I really rate, Britton, Bell and Janneh).  Not forgetting Antoine Semenyo, who if we play 4231 is naturally suited to play in one of the wide positions in the attacking midfield three.  If we go 433, then he is suited to the wide forward role.  If Andi Weimann accepts our contract offer, I think we have enough.

That leaves me one more position to fill, and that’s either a left back, or a left midfielder, preferably one who can do both.  Cam Pring or George Nurse might save me having to cover left back (behind Jay Dasilva) if they can push themselves forward early in pre-season.  But I’d like some competition for Callum O’Dowda.  Someone like Marvin Johnson, recently released by Middlesbrough would fit the bill.

I see posts on here and twitter saying things like “what excuse did the messiah come up with today” or “careful, don’t criticise Nige”, yet I’m not sure where those comments come from.  Come and debate / discuss it, trying to influence a change of opinion is fine, but also be prepared to get the opposite back in response.

I just find it easier to not get too high after a win (or good performance) or too low after a defeat (or poor performance).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Of course it is.

the rest of this post (waffle?) is a general set of comments, not aimed at anyone.

I’m pro-Nige, but he’s made mistakes.  You’d have to be a bit bonkers to not see any faults though.  Some of those mistakes are likely to be shown-up because of many reasons…call them excuses if you like

My position is that I can see beyond faults, I look at other things too, not just results and performances.  I do think the “club” would be worse off at this stage without him guiding us through.

I set what I think was a reasonable expectation level at the start of the season.

Whilst letting 10+ players go, several fans were saying we needed 10-12 new signings.  The reality is that they were probably right.  The problem was that we couldn’t afford 10-12 new signings (and I’m not talking Baker or Weimann re-signings either).  It’s why when I wrote for the Bristol Post pre-season that I thought we’d make 4 or 5 signings and striker would be the lowest priority.  If you have a reasonable understanding of the financial position you realise Nige’s hands are tied.  And that drove my expectation level, middle-eight, but likely to be bottom end of it.  Which is where we are.

If you were in charge of Bristol City’s recruitment this summer, where would you be strengthening and why?

I’d start at the back and in particular the spine.  Assuming Danny Simpson signs his contract, I’d move Zak Vyner to right-back and let him and Simpson cover that slot.  That’s one less position to recruit, leaving the focus on Centre-Back.  Currently we are left with Tomas Kalas and Taylor Moore, backed up by the ever-improving Robbie Cundy.  He can force his way into first-team plans with a good pre-season, but I want two new central defenders, one of which must be dominant in the air.  More on that later!

From there I move into central midfield, where although City have Joe Williams, Tyreeq Bakinson, Han-Noah Massengo and Adam Nagy in the more conventional midfield roles, I would like one more. That one would ideally be more in the mould of Williams, and you can see why Matty James has been mentioned in dispatches.  I’d be all over Keirnan Dewsbury-Hall though, surely Pearson can use his Leicester connections, and will already know “KDH”.

As strikers are usually the most costly and the good ones are courted by clubs further up the pecking order, I will be content to go into the season with Wells and Martin, backed up by a couple of the young-guns.  Take your pick of two from four (Conway, who I really rate, Britton, Bell and Janneh).  Not forgetting Antoine Semenyo, who if we play 4231 is naturally suited to play in one of the wide positions in the attacking midfield three.  If we go 433, then he is suited to the wide forward role.  If Andi Weimann accepts our contract offer, I think we have enough.

That leaves me one more position to fill, and that’s either a left back, or a left midfielder, preferably one who can do both.  Cam Pring or George Nurse might save me having to cover left back (behind Jay Dasilva) if they can push themselves forward early in pre-season.  But I’d like some competition for Callum O’Dowda.  Someone like Marvin Johnson, recently released by Middlesbrough would fit the bill.

I see posts on here and twitter saying things like “what excuse did the messiah come up with today” or “careful, don’t criticise Nige”, yet I’m not sure where those comments come from.  Come and debate / discuss it, trying to influence a change of opinion is fine, but also be prepared to get the opposite back in response.

I just find it easier to not get too high after a win (or good performance) or too low after a defeat (or poor performance).

Your post brings things down to earth. Thank you Dave 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Of course it is.

Thanks Dave, comprehensive stuff. Fwiw I read your piece at the time and agreed with it. Fans always want to sign strikers as its the glamour position but the priority was, and disappointingly still is, improving our defence. Even if Wells leaves and assuming Semenyo stays I don't expect us to sign a striker as it will give Conway a chance to step up.

Of course nobody is going to ask the question about Simpson and Nigel wouldn't and couldn't answer it anyway. But in a sense he already has since his approach is very much anybody will do at right back as long as it isn't Simpson! So a bad signing but at least it was a cheap bad signing.?

And for the avoidance of doubt I am not among the kind of people you quote, as I hope my posts show.

Am I delighted with how Nigel has transformed us as an attacking force? Yes.

Am I disappointed and surprised he has yet to improve our defending? Yes.

Do I believe he will fix things given time? Definitely.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks Dave, comprehensive stuff. Fwiw I read your piece at the time and agreed with it. Fans always want to sign strikers as its the glamour position but the priority was, and disappointingly still is, improving our defence. Even if Wells leaves and assuming Semenyo stays I don't expect us to sign a striker as it will give Conway a chance to step up.

Of course nobody is going to ask the question about Simpson and Nigel wouldn't and couldn't answer it anyway. But in a sense he already has since his approach is very much anybody will do at right back as long as it isn't Simpson! So a bad signing but at least it was a cheap bad signing.?

And for the avoidance of doubt I am not among the kind of people you quote, as I hope my posts show.

Am I delighted with how Nigel has transformed us as an attacking force? Yes.

Am I disappointed and surprised he has yet to improve our defending? Yes.

Do I believe he will fix things given time? Definitely.

Yeah, I know you’re not, hence why I added a little line before I went into waffle mode!

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask “Nige, you’ve recently played both Sam Bell and Jay Dasilva on the right side of your defence, is there a reason why Danny Simpson, a regular in the 18 until December, hadn’t been included at any point?”.

No he’d to to ask if any injuries, falling out, have his legs gone, stuff, just keep the question short and open.  Don’t get him on the defensive with a “was it a bad signing”

Let Nige open up.  He might come back with a simple, short answer, I.e. he hasn’t been able to show enough ton the training ground, or he’s picked up an injury that he’s struggling with.  But at least ask the Q.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I know you’re not, hence why I added a little line before I went into waffle mode!

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask “Nige, you’ve recently played both Sam Bell and Jay Dasilva on the right side of your defence, is there a reason why Danny Simpson, a regular in the 18 until December, hadn’t been included at any point?”.

No he’d to to ask if any injuries, falling out, have his legs gone, stuff, just keep the question short and open.  Don’t get him on the defensive with a “was it a bad signing”

Let Nige open up.  He might come back with a simple, short answer, I.e. he hasn’t been able to show enough ton the training ground, or he’s picked up an injury that he’s struggling with.  But at least ask the Q.

Oh sure, ask an open question, though Nigel can get terribly prickly even over perfectly reasonable questions so it takes a certain amount of courage to ask!

But he isn't going to say he made a bad mistake and it turned out Simpson is crap, has a bad attitude or whatever even if that was the case. Nor should he arguably so it's probably academic.